JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've tried looking up 3 of the last 3 holster companies that used to be online, and they are gone. A little concerning to see some of my favorite ones go the way of the dinosaur?!?!

Winthrop Holsters no longer has a website, but maybe still sells on Amazon, hard to tell. Looks like they are out of business.

Aegis Armory, made amazingly comfortable hybrid holsters and these little pocket holsters that covered the trigger guard. Gone.

Guy, I want to say went by Jason's holsters online, made really great suede covered IWB. Can't find him online at all.

Anyone else notice a holster company vanish?

Haven't been looking but it just seems crazy…we've had record new shooters, gun sales, and CCW permits going out…if anytime was reason to up your marketing budget, it'd be now.

It probably doesn't help that I chose the one gun that barely exists and has zero holster support for. The DB9G4. I have my trusty Winthrop for it still. Loved their holsters, was looking to get one for another pistol, which started the searching.

I wonder how many of these went bye bye because they were not their day jobs?

Or was it due to lack of sales?

Or both?
Good questions.

Winthrop was a fairly large website, they made holsters for tons of firearms. They were not small, at least from what I could tell.

I know Jason's Holsters was a one man shop, he mostly promoted via Facebook, but he had a website.

I did find one guy, On Your 6, that makes kydex for the DB9. Sounds like he is also a one man shop.

I know Ryan at MK Tactical stopped a few years ago, I am not sure if he frequents here anymore, but he made damn good holsters. Many of which I refuse to offload, even though I no longer own the guns for them. (Secretly want to buy another G19 for them)

Ryan has been away from it for a while now. I don't think he's even involved with firearms in general.

Pure speculation here: if they became Amazon vendors, very possible they died because of that poison vine.
Daughter works for a company that is an Amazon vendor. Their competition went from >20 to less than four, a lot of it because of the way the gorilla structures their vendors and listings.
The way they see it, within a few years they will no longer own the rights to their listings on said digital river. So they're looking to diversify into other channels that virtue signalling companies won't venture.

I got pretty good at copying holsters I already own--really helps to have a phone book to push the sewing awl into. I just bought some leather & a speedy stitcher and went at it
What's a "phone book?"

(someone had to say it)

Actually, quite a few holster makers seem to have gone out of business over the past couple of years. Guy I've dealt with down in Georgia going out as his arthritis has limited his production. Couple of guys have passed on (some notable makers) and I've heard of a couple more companies that simply folded.

I have been buying mostly used holsters from NWFA - getting decent deals on almost new holsters. Biggest problem I have had is finding the type of holster I want for my Five Seven; it is longer and thicker than most full sized handguns. I prefer secure holsters, with at least something like a thumb break or loop. I also like full coverage - like a flap holster - e.g., the Bianchi "universal" military type cordura holsters that you can use in a shoulder rig, on a web belt, or thigh holster, but none of them fit the Five Seven.

I just picked up a leather shoulder rig and a OWB Bianchi with a lock on the trigger guard, both seem ok so far, but need to be broken in for some of my .40 SIGs vs. the 9mm - the .40 slides are thicker.

A long time ago in a time more pleasant I'd buy used holsters at gun shows. Seems as though there would
be 3 or 4 vendors that would specialize in holsters, mostly all used. I'd look for ones in decent shape
regardless if I had a handgun to fit and buy them. I still have maybe 20 or so. As the years rolled on
and I'd but a gun I'd head to that box and often found a fit. And like The Heretic I prefer the models
that can secure a handgun. And I much prefer leather.

I wonder how many of these went bye bye because they were not their day jobs?

Or was it due to lack of sales?

Or both?
( imho ) , A saturated market that is just thinning out . Little guys ( do a quality job ) they do home shops leather/kydex and can't really do the gig full-time and pay the bills .
Small shops , With their main Advertisement being internet/word of mouth . Their small but loyal clientele does Not buy a new holster from them, until they buy a new Carry . Being small shop you can actually saturate your clientele pretty fast, You start out strong and sell a lot of units fast in beginning, but then sales slow, and if your lucky it's slow but steady at most.
There is also a limited amount design/patterns IWB and OWB that actually are a Good Marketable Holsters for the Niche your marketing to. So there is NO WAY to keep up customer buzz/enthusiasm, with bringing out something new .

Kydex killed many (not all) of the old school companies that Covid did not. Not that much leather punches and block molding these days - compared to the 1960s or 70s.

Last Edited:
I havent noticed any of my favorites disappear. My take is most holster companies are small boutique industry and many will come and go, sadly even the quality ones.

Aegis Armory, made amazingly comfortable hybrid holsters and these little pocket holsters that covered the trigger guard. Gone.
Ive been super picky of pocket holster and have never found one that both worked and fully covered the trigger guard. I recently stumbled upon Alabama Holster Co. pocket holster and took a chance and bam them nailed it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top