JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got one of these for my recently acquired Ruger Mini 14, and although I've only got one range trip on it so far, I'm pretty impressed. This has a 2 MOA dot, and the dot is round and very crisp, unlike the dot on my previous RDS, a Primary Arms Advanced Micro-dot. That one's dot was sort of an oval blob, and was never as crisp as this one is. Still worked fine, but it always bugged me. What's interesting about the comparison is, they both look identical externally, and supposedly, the PA is just a rebadged Holosun. But I digress.

I sighted it in at 50 yards, didn't take more than a couple of adjustments and it was hitting where I pointed it. Once off the bench, tin cans and clay pigeons at 100 yards were barely a challenge, which either says very good things about this RDS, or belies all the bad press about Mini 14 accuracy. Or both :D. And BTW, this is a mostly stock 181 series Mini, the only mod so far is the rail for mounting the optic. It's an UltiMAK, and the design does offer some barrel stiffening, but more testing is in order to see if it really makes a difference.

So some specs for those interested. 50K hours rated battery life, goes to sleep after 8 hrs. (?), but it also has a motion/vibration detector built in, so it turns itself back on as soon as you pick up your rifle. Comes with both a low mount that's perfect on the Ruger, and a higher AR specific (co-witness) mount. Uses a battery tray that slides out of the side, so no need to remove the sight to replace the battery (CR 2023), and comes with a spare tray, plus tools for mounting and adjusting. All in a nice plastic box with form fit high density foam liner. And for the cherry on top, it was only $120! IIRC, I paid $175 or so for my previous PA model, plus extra for the AR mount. And a limited lifetime warranty to boot.

Obviously, I haven't had it long enough to tell how reliable/durable it's going to be, but the reviews were good, and the .223 isn't a pounder, so I don't expect any problems. Maybe not suitable for a battle rifle, but for someone looking for a budget red dot for a range toy/plinker, I think you'd be hard pressed to do better. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads