JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have never used a holographic but I think the advantage is that you have a wider field of view. I had a red dot on my ak. I loved it, and it worked just fine. Hopefully someone with experience can give better info

Hello,
I am hoping the members with experience can explain the advantages and disadvantages of a Holographic sight versus a Red Dot Type Scope for a WASR.
Any info is appreciated.
rhtwist

Haven't done Holo yet (would love to!) but I have used my friend's Sig with a redot which is fun.

On the other hand I have used Holo in COD4 and it rocks! :s0155:

I have experience with both as I have both an Aimpoint and an EoTech. Both are great.

With the HWS (holo weap. sight) you do get a slightly larger FOV through the optic but that's somewhat moot as the sight should pretty much disappear as you're looking through it and at your target.

The reticle is somewhat grainy in the HWS, this is normal and I don't care but some people hate it. Apparently if you have astigmatism this blurriness is much worse (to the point of being an issue), or so I've heard.

Battery life on an EoTech is nothing compared to an Aimpoint. You WILL kill the batteries in a EoTech, vs. turning on your Aimpoint and forgetting about it for 50,000 hours. That said keep the HWS batts fresh and you'll be GTG.

Let's see, what else... the HWS is supposedly 100% parallax free vs. an aimpoint which while being virtually parallax free still has a little bit (not that I can tell shooting w/ it at normal ranges). That said, cheaper units can and likely will suffer from parallax.

Either a RDS or HWS will ultimately serve you just fine, pick the one you like the most. When it comes down to it both project a dot that you use to aim. Go with toughness & battery life as your primary considerations, followed by how you like the reticle, ergos on the sight controls, etc.

If I had to pick just one of the two I'd pick an Aimpoint. I would not buy another n cell EoTech either (STUPID rare expensive little batteries, go with a AA or 123 model or don't buy IMO)

Best RDS setup for an AK, IMO is an Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak rail - but you're talking another AK at that price point, so... yeah....

Anyway, hope my ramblings have helped somewhat..?

I've only used a EOTech one time on a friends AR. I find the busy recticle a distraction, having buttons to turn it on/off and brightness (and the auto shutoff feature) are poor ideas on a weapon. On the Aimpoint, one control to twist, no autoshutdown and long battery life! The only thing I don't like about the Aimpoints is the factory mount... I would get a LaRue if it where me....
just my 2 cents.

Good points techieguy, and yeah - LaRue mounts FTW...

rhtwist- Have you looked at the LaRue Iron Dot? Replaces rear sight with a mini RDS with integral backup iron... very high speed.

Thank all you Gentlemen for your responses and opinions. I forgot to hit the email notification box and that is why I haven't responded sooner. Aimpoints, larues and Eotechs are beyond my discretionary funding at the moment. I'm not 100 percent understanding the parallax issue. I think I'm leaning toward a red dot with a side mount (not bottom of the line but not more than I paid for the rifle) with a quick release to pull the optic in case of problem. Will continue to let your info percolate in the coffee grains in my brain. And thanks for the long explanation, this will be my first use of other than open sights as age creeps up behind me. Thanks again.
rhtwist

BTW techieguy good looking weapon, oh,if only my pockets were as big as my desires, well they almost are (weight impairment) but they are not filled.

Look around a bit and you'll find something that will suit you just fine to go on a side mount in your price range I'm sure.

On the parallax thing - basically, w/ parallax free no matter where your head is if you can see the dot that is your point of aim. Some units have a degree of parallax at all but a specific range, which means if shift your view - where you're seeing that dot in the tube - your point of aim is off a little bit.

Sorry if thats not 100% clear...

Techieguy - Very nice stick! I have the same optic set up on my BCM middy. What barrel? (Sorry for the hijack!)

Look around a bit and you'll find something that will suit you just fine to go on a side mount in your price range I'm sure.

On the parallax thing - basically, w/ parallax free no matter where your head is if you can see the dot that is your point of aim. Some units have a degree of parallax at all but a specific range, which means if shift your view - where you're seeing that dot in the tube - your point of aim is off a little bit.

Sorry if thats not 100% clear...

Techieguy - Very nice stick! I have the same optic set up on my BCM middy. What barrel? (Sorry for the hijack!)
Thanks! I like this build... Since John Noveske is a local boy to use Southern Oregonians I had to support him:) So the barrel is one of his special run 1x9 16" mid weighted barrels. One of these day I need to mount some magnified glass and see how small of groups this rifle will shoot.

I thought that looked like a Noveske. I was gonna order one of those 16" recce barrels from Rainier a while back but I thought about it a few minutes too long and... cest la vie. Stupid Obama panic...

Unfortuneatly Jon doesn't appear to have any barrels available... I need to build a 6.8 and would like a matching SS barrel to my 5.56 but alas with all the fear (and I believe rightly so with our current Prez) I'm having a tough time even getting the parts needed to start my build. I'm looking for a Sun Devil or Voltor MUR upper next... I have my lower just need to work on the other parts next.

You may try calling Jon or Sheri and see if he has anything is stock... That how I got my 1x9 barrel, it wasn't listed on his website... For what I use my AR the 1x9 is perfect, I don't shoot 77 grain pills though it.

I have and use both, mine are the cheap versions BSA and such so keep this in mind. I like both but the holo type sights seem to fade and are hard to pick up at times when very bright, this is not an issue with the red dot scopes. I also think the red dot scopes deal with hits and such better the holo sights seem frail but once agaim I go back to these are the cheap versions maybe the more expensive ones are more robust.

Appreciate continuing experience opinion and definitions. Unfortunately I'm am self imposing a NO China product ban, as much as is still possible. I have heard pretty good things about NcStar. Advised by a distributor that most lowish end optics are Chinese.
Thanks and please continue.
rhtwist

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews