JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Shane Vander Hart | February 12, 2013

I read an article written by Michael Farris, the founder and chair of HSLDA – the Home School Legal Defense Association. In it he discussed the case made by government lawyers representing Attorney General Eric Holder during the court hearing for the Romeike family. You may remember the Romeike’s sought political asylum in the United States due to Germany’s persecution of homeschooling families. A federal district court judge granted the Romikes asylum here against the wishes of the Federal government. The government appealed that decision to the Board of Immigration appeals and won. HSLDA appealed to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals where the case (Romeike v. Holder) will be heard.
<broken link removed>
If outlawing homeschooling, does gun ownership have a chance?

They have been trying to do this for awhile, I was home schooled from 2nd to 9th grade. We had to take a test once a year to prove that we were capable and were getting minimum schooling as compared to our age group in the Public School system. There are cases where kids don't get taught properly at home and these are the examples they use as the reason why home schooling should be outlawed. Like guns they use the statistic anomalies to justify their actions and new laws. The majority of home schooled kids test significantly higher than their public school counterparts. Every home schooled kid that I knew always passed the government exams, and most tested 2-3 grades higher than their age group.

Thanks for the correction, must be a school teacher.

Teachers are fighting for their lives over benefits and raises. Schools receive federal funds for every kid enrolled. So the more kids equal more money.

Do not ever believe it is about the kids, that is the biggest lie ever. When unions became involved it all went downhill.

They cannot stop home schooling

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I get it that Holder is a scumbag but please read the article before saying that Holder is trying to ban homeschooling. First despite some federal funding the majority of school funds come from the state and local levels. The states set guidelines for an education and what programs are recognized. As the court ruled recently in National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius stated that the federal government could not coerce state governments by refusal to withhold certain funds (I'm paraphrasing here). So the DOJ has no authority to ban homeschooling.

But the problem is that Holder's argument is not about home schooling here in the US but rather homeschooling in Germany. The individuals are alleging that they are facing religious persecution because Germany will not allow them to homeschool their children. The DOJ is arguing that since Germany has a total ban on homeschooling that the individuals petitioning for political asylum are not being discrimating against because of their religion. So this has nothing to do with homeschooling in reality but rather people seeking asylum can claim discrimination when every other citizen is subject to the same rules.

My parents both worked for school dist. And I can tell you it's a joke. They need to reform schools and limit the school unions. You have bad teachers making more than administrators.
They reward tenure and not good teachers. Sad.
You have some teachers in bad schools making 70k a year for 9mths of work.
And your have beaurocrats making decisions that should be made by people that know what is needed in schools. But then again thats every industry.

Also how else are they supposed to brain wash the young with their liberal ideals than in union run schools?

The majority of home schooled kids test significantly higher than their public school counterparts. Every home schooled kid that I knew always passed the government exams, and most tested 2-3 grades higher than their age group.

Unfortunately, as you note, that's not always the truth. My ex-wife home schooled our daughter, she's 31 and still can't spell common words. It keeps her from getting a keeping a good job as far as I can see. Luckily she's sending her kids to public school.

Unfortunately, as you note, that's not always the truth. My ex-wife home schooled our daughter, she's 31 and still can't spell common words. It keeps her from getting a keeping a good job as far as I can see. Luckily she's sending her kids to public school.

That really depends on both the individual parents and the state in which the homeschooling occurs. In Washington home schooled kids have to pass (at least for the last 10 years) the same achievement measurement testing that public school kids do before advancing grades. While our son attends public school I have friends that have home schooled their all of their kids. Every home schooled kid I know is better educated than my son, and I find that a bit galling with the number of levys we've voted on throwing money at schools.

Please read all of the Holder report and you will see how he is going about ending homeschooling
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Those of us who homeschool should be concerned because the Attorney General of the United States, Eric Holder, in the government's arguments essentially said that he believes that a law that bans homeschooling would violate no fundamental liberties.[/COLOR]

Last Edited:
Please read all of the Holder report and you will see how he is going about ending homeschooling
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Those of us who homeschool should be concerned because the Attorney General of the United States, Eric Holder, in the government’s arguments essentially said that he believes that a law that bans homeschooling would violate no fundamental liberties.[/COLOR]

But then he doesn't seem to think firearms are a fundamental liberty either. Or voting, for that matter. I don't even care to know what else he doesn't think is worthwhile, and my comments on him wouldn't get past the filters anyway.

But the "War on Homeschooling" is hardly a new thing.

And yes, I was home schooled by my mother, starting in 4th grade. The public schools are a joke. My sister did it for a while and then went back into the PPS machine - and it was a disaster. She went to MLC downtown, and while I heard the basic setup changed there, back then it was a huge mess. They had one teacher who NEVER taught the subject he was supposed to be teaching. He would just sit around all day reading books and ignoring everyone. But no one would complain about him because he was black...

That really depends on both the individual parents and the state in which the homeschooling occurs. In Washington home schooled kids have to pass (at least for the last 10 years) the same achievement measurement testing that public school kids do before advancing grades. While our son attends public school I have friends that have home schooled their all of their kids. Every home schooled kid I know is better educated than my son, and I find that a bit galling with the number of levys we've voted on throwing money at schools.

Are you sure? That's news to me and we've homeschooled two children through to college and are working on a third. Washington state has a testing requirement that you take a yearly test (lots of tests qualify, PSAT, ACT, etc.), but you do not have to share the results with anyone.

That is funny because when I used to receive emails from the executives at a company I used to work for that were written by themselves instead of their secretaries the spelling and grammar usage was atrocious. They couldn't spell simple words and they really seemed to have no idea how anything actually worked. Though I have ran into kids who were home schooled that were dumber than rocks, I have more friends and acquaintances that I know were home schooled that were superior in intellect to every public school kid I know of. The dumber than rock kids were a small percentage of the kids in home schooling I am aware of. In public schools starting about 6th grade for me, it became more about "socializing" than learning with the curriculum. I didn't fit in because I thought school was for learning, not being besties and playing sports.

Are you sure? That's news to me and we've homeschooled two children through to college and are working on a third. Washington state has a testing requirement that you take a yearly test (lots of tests qualify, PSAT, ACT, etc.), but you do not have to share the results with anyone.

Maybe it's the program run through our local school district then. I know that out of every public school in WA the local district was rated "A" for every school (primary through high school), one of only 7 districts in the state to do so in 2012. The home schooled kids here attend the same field trips, PE classes, and ... some other stuff. I'd have to ask my wife since she volunteers for my son's class 3 days a week; everything I hear is second hand.

That's possible... may school districts have programs to bring homeschoolers "into the fold" in one way or another - it helps them preserve funding. Homeschool purists are against such arrangements, but we've had to do some stuff along these lines too - register as a homeschooler in a school district to take advantage of community college "running start" program, etc. It didn't come with any testing requirements in our case though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top