JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hodgdon Powder Company announced its acquisition of Ramshot and Accurate smokeless powder brands, and the Blackhorn 209 muzzleloader brand from Western Powders, effective October 1, 2020.

Have used the accurate line for a long time and I hope that I can continue to rely on it but since I rely also on Hodgdon for powder and have been happy with them already for also a long time, seems like it shouldn't be an issue.

I started with 23 grains with 52 grain HPBT bullets with the .223 and 30 grains with 150 grain bullets in .30-30 and both were very accurate for bottom line loads.

I do not know the FPS as I do not have a chrono so all I can do is read the FPS from the data provided.

Reading up on them, it seems like Hodgdon, Ramshot and Accurate are mostly "brands" re-labeling and selling powder made by someone else? Am I wrong or did I miss something.

According to there home page, Western Powders had developed the Ramshot line.

From there about us section:

"About Us
Western Powders, Inc. has been one of North America's leading distributors of gun powder since 1972. Located in Miles City, Montana, our current operations evolved from our distribution of Dupont IMR Powders in the 1970s. Our business has grown significantly and we now distribute powder for every major brand of firearm propellants.

After establishing a highly efficient distribution network for gun powders, we decided to develop and market our own brand of propellants in 1998 under the "Ramshot" name. To further broaden our operations, we purchased "Accurate Arms" in 2005 and "Montana X-Treme Gun Cleaning Products" in 2006. Our most recent brand introduction was Blackhorn 209 Muzzleloading Propellant, which has revolutionized the muzzleloading industry since its introduction in 2008.
Every product developed by Western Powders sets the industry's highest standards for performance and reliability. We proudly support the freedom to bear arms and strive to make hunting and recreational shooting more enjoyable for every one of our customers."

Less competition isn't a good thing.

This. Hodgdon is already an octopus in the powder biz. Of the major US powders, that only leaves Alliant powder that isn't controlled by Hodgdon. Correct me if I'm wrong and have forgotten something. And Alliant is owned by Vista Outdoors, a very big name.

And speaking of Vista, does anyone else see the pattern here? They just bought Remington ammunition, adding that to their empire. So Hodgdon will mostly control the powder, and Vista will have a real good lock on three out of four brands of US-made primers. This is the continuing consolidation of American business, been going on for years.

Myself, my use of Accurate powder has been very limited, and Ramshot even less. At present the only one I have in my powder magazine is a partial of Silhouette that I keep for 10mm. Ramshot doesn't have a "powder factory." In the same way that Hodgdon doesn't Both companies are packagers and distributors. They package and sell what other people make. Ramshot is very heavy on single base (ball) powders in their line. These days mostly made in Florida and Europe. Accurate powder is heavy on ball powders in their line-up too, but they have several single base (stick) powders made in Canada. I don't know all that much about it, but I assume the Accurate stick powders from Canada are made in the same factory that makes IMR product. Manufacturing powder is capital intensive and risk sensitive. Therefore, there aren't many companies doing it these days. It's a pretty concentrated industry.

My advice, offered at no cost and possibly having the same value: Regardless of brand, get what you think you might need now. We might be in for a real battering if the wrong people get into power. Interstate commerce in powder may be greatly scaled back through regulation.

There are some real good powders made in Europe that you can buy. Like Nobel Sport from France, which I particularly like and use. Also Vihtavuori, which is pricy but very good. There are others.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top