JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A sad day here.

PYRODEX and the like are worthless for flintlocks....and sorta okay for most percussion guns.
If you use these...be sure to clean RIGHT AWAY...as they are far and away , far more corrosive than true black powder.

SWISS and Schuetzen still make black powder...but...a quick search , shows out of stock , everywhere I looked.
Andy

Since powder is scarce at the moment , the below may be of some help.

I know the long held wisdom of 2F for .45 and and large and 3F for .45 and smaller ....

You can use 3F in large caliber rifles or shotguns , instead of 2F.
It might be wise to back down your charge a bit...say like dropping down from 70 grains to 60 grains.

I have also used 2F in handguns and smaller caliber rifles as well.

If all you can find is 1F....you can grind the 1F smaller with a motar and pestle.
This method ain't exact , but does work and will get you shooting.
Andy

More detail from an interview with a Hogden exec. They will attempt to sell the brand to another company who would re-start production. The world ain't done for yet.

Buffalo Arms Co. Just got in a shipment of Swiss 1 1/2 Caviar. Never used it, but at least it's something available. I'm sure Dave Gullo will continue to search out BP for shooters.

Interesting. I have several pounds of Swiss Sporting Grade powder but none in Caviar. I understand it's use but have no experience with it. Has anyone on this site used it?
I called a friend who travels all over the US to attend BPCR and BPTR matches, and he said he doesn't know of anyone using the Swiss Caviar. So I decided to pass on trying it. It's $33 a lb. plus hazmat at BACO, so easier to pass on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top