JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
CFE pistol
212toxc.jpg

Shoot more...clean less with new CFE™ PISTOL Powder

Shawnee, Kansas, October 2013. Hodgdon® announces a new addition to the CFE™ family of propellants called CFE™ PISTOL. Just like its rifle powder counterpart, CFE™223, CFE™PISTOL greatly deters copper fouling round after round! CFE™, which represents the proprietary chemistry named “Copper Fouling Eraser”, was developed for U.S. rapid fire military systems. Whatever your game is as a top gun competitor or target plinker you will benefit significantly with longer periods of top accuracy with less barrel cleaning time and minimal muzzle flash.

Starting in December visit the Reloading Data Center at hodgdon.com, and you will find an incredible 103 available loads for CFE™ PISTOL with 37 bullet weights. Check out the data to see a remarkable 15 pistol cartridges featuring the 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 40 S&W, the venerable 45 ACP and many more. CFE™ PISTOL is a Spherical powder that meters with superior uniformity, it will be offered in one and eight pound containers at dealers everywhere January 2014. To find out more contact Hodgdon® Powder 913-362-9455, see the 2014 Annual Manual or write to 6430 Vista Drive, Shawnee, KS 66218.
For your powder choice its Hodgdon®, the Brand that’s True

Sheesh, they can't even keep up with cfe 223, and they already have a new cfe pistol powder?

What the heck, the more choices, the better I guess. Nice to see production at a level that Hodgdon feels confident that they can keep up with demand even while adding a new product to the mix. On the other hand, it is probably marketing genius to introduce a new product when competitive products are somewhat scarce.

Hell, I'll pick up a jug of it!! Do I just go to the powder store and grab it? Just order on-line I bet?

No where to be found? Just what I thought, just like a bunch of everything else they advertise in the gun rags.
PHHHTTTT!

Yeah, how about get caught up on the back log first.

But, like he said, probably marketing genius to introduce a new product now when nothing else can be found.

"They feel confident in production"..??? School is now in session, take notes on Hodgdon.

"They" do not, and have never, manufactured one ounce of smokeless powder.
Hodgdon is a surplus reseller/blender only.

The magical ingredients that erase copper fouling is a combination of Tin & Bismuth compounds, first put in powder for that reason, by the French @ 1900. Please buy a copy of "Hatcher's Notebook" for a good history on their development, use, and problems. Although probably in different amounts, according to my pile of MSDS Win 748 & 760 have contained them for 20 years(oldest msds).

Defense Contracting giant General Dynamics, is the last private manufacturer of smokeless in the USA. They began development of a propellant that would work for the military's new non-toxic, all copper bullet. That development began about a decade ago, the powder being SMP-842. The "Canister Grade" version of that powder is called CFE223. Having burned as much as I have, CFE currently isn't what was originally released from Hodgy. I don't know, but suspect they are now selling current production 842.

Whatever the evolution of the powder CFE shoots differently than 748 in my rifles and more accurately in addition to helping to reduce copper fouling, especially in my ARs. If this pistol powder works as well, then I might be sorry I have such a large stock of pistol and revolver powders on hand now, as I won't be buying again for years.....................though copper fouling was never an issue in my handguns.

It is a different powder so it should shoot differently. The point is that it contains some of the same cleaning agents. The fouling from 748 is very easy to remove, and tends to get heavier at lower pressures. That loose sooty fouling bothers a lot of folks. For those that don't like that, they will HATE CFE. VERY heavy black soot at all pressures. Like 748, it is easily removed, but "looks" bad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top