JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well i finally got a chance to shot my new savage HMR 17 today, after a few rounds at 50 yards i was hitting very low, so i made the proper adjustments and got it very close at 50 yards, then moved onto 100 yards. I found the little caliber to be very accurate and fun to shoot. Was surprised the damage it did to a full coke can at 100 yards, it flattened out the bottom of the can and exploded on impact, what fun ! This is my first rifle and had a blast !!! :D

hmr 17 savage 014.jpg

hmr 17 savage 013.jpg

hmr 17 savage 019.jpg

hmr 17 savage 018.jpg

First time out with my Marlin 17hmr, I was exploding milk jugs at 100+ yards. A very impressive, potent little round. Second time out, I was exploding digging ground squirrels at 100 yds. I haven't tried it on anything bigger....yet. :cool:

Guns009.jpg

Thanks everyone :D I appreciate the extra pro opinion, Funny after shooting most of a great day ! I found out the range is actually 200 yards not 100 yards. Boy did i feel stupid, so now my 17 is a 200 yard wonder in my mind. I did tons of scope adjustments trying to get it hitting the mark, Well i guess back to the shooting range and this time i will make sure its at 100 yards. :s0112: Not to mention i have no spotting scope so i walked the 200 yards 30 times because seeing this little hole was impossible. And your right my friends already looking for my next rifle.

I know this may sound like a stupid question but does this look like 200 yards to you, I was told it was but will measure to be sure. The last targets you see "little dots on the right" is what i was shooting for. Not sure about the guy who told me what it was.

hmr 17 savage 014.jpg

I dunno, looks more like 100 yards to me, hard to tell in pictures though.

My Savage .17HMR is a blast to shoot, I've had it at 200 yards a few times and it's a cake walk. If you want to lighten your Accu-Trigger even more, locate the spring on the adjustment screw, cut 1/4 of a coil at a time off the spring till it's where you want it, you can always raise the weight by simply tightening the adjustment screw too, just the maximum pull weight will of course be less than the factory (6lbs). Stock lightest setting is 2.5 lbs, mines now around 1.5lbs or so, I love it.

I dunno, looks more like 100 yards to me, hard to tell in pictures though.

My Savage .17HMR is a blast to shoot, I've had it at 200 yards a few times and it's a cake walk. If you want to lighten your Accu-Trigger even more, locate the spring on the adjustment screw, cut 1/4 of a coil at a time off the spring till it's where you want it, you can always raise the weight by simply tightening the adjustment screw too, just the maximum pull weight will of course be less than the factory (6lbs). Stock lightest setting is 2.5 lbs, mines now around 1.5lbs or so, I love it.

Thanks for the advice on the trigger, I didn't know factory was 6 lbs so i will adjust it lighter and see how it feels. I measured yesterday, From the gun to the target was 620 feet, so well over 200 yards and your right it is still very accurate at that distance.

I know this may sound like a stupid question but does this look like 200 yards to you, I was told it was but will measure to be sure. The last targets you see "little dots on the right" is what i was shooting for. Not sure about the guy who told me what it was.

Try this... find your spot on Google Earth and use the measure tool to get an "approximate" range of your... well... range. :s0114:

It's not the most accurate way to measure it but it should at least tell you whether or not it's closer to 100 or 200 yards. :s0155:

Oh and BTW, my Savage .17 HMR is one of my favorite rifles as well. :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top