JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys,

I was wondering if anybody heard of smiths in Portland area who could install paddle release on HK91 pattern rifle. I could send it to Bill Springfield, but would
prefer somebody local to avoid shipping the lead pipe :)

Thanks!

Guys,

I was wondering if anybody heard of smiths in Portland area who could install paddle release on HK91 pattern rifle. I could send it to Bill Springfield, but would
prefer somebody local to avoid shipping the lead pipe :)

Thanks!

Hey I just did this to my HK91 on Saturday, along with pulling the sight tower off for a Grenade Ring version, took about 2 hours fabbing parts for the paddle mag and maybe 10 minutes for the triple frame. You'll need a bushing and a bushing pin for the paddle install, and if you've got a new eyelet sling bolt you don't need to Tig/Braze, if your using the old one you have to grind off the mushroom peen and then heat it a little and punch it out. Then heat the sight and tap with a wood block, it's pretty easy, basically reverse order with the new one. Drive the sling eyelet back into place and peen if its new and tig/braze if its not.

Hardest part is getting that damn little piece of metal out of the receiver where the paddle will go, I got a little carried away with the dremel and went through the bottom of the sheet metal, had a friend weld a little piece there and it helped lock up the rattle, of course with this you have to refinish the rifle, that's where I am now, sometime this week I'm going to bead blast it and then park it. I'm going to leave it park'd instead of the park/paint like on it originally. All the G3's I saw in South Africa & Iraq were park'd, not one had that paint over it.

Anyway, the only tools we had were a dremel, drill press, calipers, punches, propane torch, wood , and hammers (big and small). Another friend has the blast cabinet and the park tank I'm in the process of building, found a forum where the guy used Lowes gutters riveted and sealed it with silicone, and wham, park tank. If you silver solder the eyelet the park won't match perfectly but you can darken it with other means to match, but if you finish it with Gunkote this won't be a problem.

Anyway if you got any questions give me a call, I'm in Salem as are the tools, let me know, also you got the parts? I got all of mine through Robertrtg.com and they got to my house pretty fast and were great, just fyi.

James

503-269-7139

Hey I just did this to my HK91 on Saturday, along with pulling the sight tower off for a Grenade Ring version, took about 2 hours fabbing parts for the paddle mag and maybe 10 minutes for the triple frame. You'll need a bushing and a bushing pin for the paddle install, and if you've got a new eyelet sling bolt you don't need to Tig/Braze, if your using the old one you have to grind off the mushroom peen and then heat it a little and punch it out. Then heat the sight and tap with a wood block, it's pretty easy, basically reverse order with the new one. Drive the sling eyelet back into place and peen if its new and tig/braze if its not.

Hardest part is getting that damn little piece of metal out of the receiver where the paddle will go, I got a little carried away with the dremel and went through the bottom of the sheet metal, had a friend weld a little piece there and it helped lock up the rattle, of course with this you have to refinish the rifle, that's where I am now, sometime this week I'm going to bead blast it and then park it. I'm going to leave it park'd instead of the park/paint like on it originally. All the G3's I saw in South Africa & Iraq were park'd, not one had that paint over it.

Anyway, the only tools we had were a dremel, drill press, calipers, punches, propane torch, wood , and hammers (big and small). Another friend has the blast cabinet and the park tank I'm in the process of building, found a forum where the guy used Lowes gutters riveted and sealed it with silicone, and wham, park tank. If you silver solder the eyelet the park won't match perfectly but you can darken it with other means to match, but if you finish it with Gunkote this won't be a problem.

Anyway if you got any questions give me a call, I'm in Salem as are the tools, let me know, also you got the parts? I got all of mine through Robertrtg.com and they got to my house pretty fast and were great, just fyi.

James

503-269-7139

James,

Thanks for your reply. I've got all the parts except for the bushing. Based on your description it doesn't sound too complicated, though I'm worried a little bit about the following ATF spec on this conversion to avoid NFA issues... I also don't have a place to work on it at the moment, so I guess I will resort to doing it myself if I don't work it out with a gunsmith.

Alex.

James,

Thanks for your reply. I've got all the parts except for the bushing. Based on your description it doesn't sound too complicated, though I'm worried a little bit about the following ATF spec on this conversion to avoid NFA issues... I also don't have a place to work on it at the moment, so I guess I will resort to doing it myself if I don't work it out with a gunsmith.

Alex.

Don't worry about the ATF regs, just don't make the pin for the bushing bigger than 6mm (which is way easy) and don't drill all the way through both sides of the receiver, example, drill through say the left side and when your drill bit touches the right side of the semi-shelf block, go about 3mm in and your done, the pin will go through the bushing and will go into the recess in the right side, and then I ground off the little bit sticking out of the left side, if I just confused the **** out of ya, check this out, this was my inspiration:

SP89 rebuild (rebarrel, clip/pin, paddle mag install)

And you can use a smith if you want but they charge quite a bit if i remember correctly, granted I didn't pay for any tools but really the total cost was the parts and a few grinding stones for the dremel, less than $70.00, I bought a whole new mag/paddle combo on a receiver stub and a new Sight Tower whcih came to around $50.00, the dremel stuff was $12.00 at Lowes. You can't beat doing it yourself, I did a lot of research before I began and i still had to weld that little piece on and that was totally me not paying attention, I've got it now!! I plan on doing a complete MP5 & HK93 build from a flat eventually, and I will install paddle releases on them.

James

Oh and once the paddle is installed you won't even notice that you take the mags out with it, its so natural and quick, highly recommended. Now the Sight Tower was different, I don't notice it as much as I though I would, probably cause the paddle is so bad a$$!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top