JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm eyeing an HK416 in 22LR pistol as a general plinker to replace the CMMG 22LR conversion kit we toss into the AR platform.

Questions for the Brain Trust:

1) I assume the faux suppressor can be removed and I can install a real one. Want to make sure it's not pinned and welded, which would take a bit more work to add the can.
2) Will the CMMG magazines work, or will this only take HK mags?

Thanks!

22110-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I'm eyeing an HK416 in 22LR pistol as a general plinker to replace the CMMG 22LR conversion kit we toss into the AR platform.

Questions for the Brain Trust:

1) I assume the faux suppressor can be removed and I can install a real one. Want to make sure it's not pinned and welded, which would take a bit more work to add the can.
2) Will the CMMG magazines work, or will this only take HK mags?

Thanks!

View attachment 525764
I can't recomend it highly enough. The funnest gun I've ever owned.

Out of time at the moment but I will write more detail lateR. Yes fake suppressor unscrews and it will take regular suppressor with $15 walther adapter available at optics planet.

Last Edited:
Ok some more detail. All metal construction. Even odds and ends such as the faux suppressor and little stop on the back of the receiver are metal. Build quality is extremely high. Only exception to that is the sights feel cheap to me.

Trigger can be easily lightened up with 3 spring kit from hkparts that cost $17. Takes it from sort of a mil-spec (expected trigger weight for that I mean) trigger pull to very nice and light. FYI 416 22 shares same trigger as colt m4 but not beretta arx160 and hk g36.

Uses same 30 round mags as beretta arx160 22lr, colt m4 lr, hk g36 22 lr. Theses guns are all manufactured by walther in germany. So just buy whichever model mag is cheapest. I wouldn't mess with the aftermarket ones personally.

Re barrel. It's a thin sort of floating barrel. Poeple think this is poor quality but it is likely just the opposite. I have heard it actually contributes to being more accurate but I have not tested vs a bull barrel or whatever so I can't say. I've also heard it called match grade but I'm not sure that term even has any meaning anymore really.

Hk 416 battle grip is simply excellent. I wish all ars came with this grip.

Quad rail is well made and doesn't lose paint/scratch like cheaper at parts.

Faux suppressor can be unscrewed and 1/2 x 28 adapter installed. I use all the following on the barrel depending on what I'm doing: suppressor, flash hider from colt m4 22lr, recoil enhancer, original faux suppressor.

Can pretty easily add a folding brace. Ask about that if u want more info. I'll post a pic of mine below.

Can easily attach an AR quick release single point sling point by replacing receiver end plate with a standard ar end plate that has a qr hole.

The bolt release is non functional (but metal). U pull on charging handle to release bolt from open position.

This gun is simply a blast. Honestly I would buy another one I like it that much but it would just sit there.

FYI I also bought a colt m4 22lr which is also made by walther in the same factory. I like the colt but don't love it like I do the hk. The build quality is quite different. Lots of plastic and even the quality of the paint is different. But mostly just the tightness and function feels tighter and better on the hk.

Walther also used to make a licensed hk mp5 22lr and reviewers rave about it also. Don't confuse that gun to the gsg mp5 22lr clone. It seems to me that hk held walther to very high standards on their hk licensed 22lr clones.

Zero malfunctions for me of any kind so far. It is easy to strip down -there is a video of it on YouTube somewhere.

Last Edited:
@ilikegunspdx, Thank you for the detailed write-up! Yup, going to get one now...

I have one of the Walther HK MP5 22LRs (not the GSGs like you said). Super fun to shoot and very very accurate at 50 to 100 feet. Just looking for something different and this 416 looks to fit the spot. If the 416 is built to the same "heavy feel", high-quality as the MP5, I can see how the 416 rocks.

Thanks again!

upload_2018-12-11_8-3-37.jpeg

this is a great thread.

I have an HK 416d pistol and a Beretta ARX160, which share the same mag platform.

I haven't removed the factory faux suppressor and installed the 1/2x28 adapter yet, though when my cans get released that will be done. (Hopefully early next year)

I wasn't aware that they had a spring kit for the trigger. That sounds like something I need to do.

In the pic below I had 45 degree offset back up iron sights, which i removed because I could never get them sighted in properly. And the red dot got replaced by a better SightMark RM26008 and 3x flip out magnifier. I also had Troy rail panels on it, which I swapped out for the Magpul XTM in order to use the Troy rails on the sides of my Beretta ARX160. I added the HK Parts M4 stock adapter and a Kak Shockwave tube/brace. Now the thing is super fun.

This gun is my 8 year old son's favorite gun. It is an excellent practice platform.

Mine doesn't like light 22 loads; it prefers CCI high velocity stuff. The Aquila standards were too weak. and it gets dirty quickly, because the average 22 ammo is so dirty to shoot. I try to take it down and clean it after every 200-300 rounds.

20170817-172624cw16.jpg

Last Edited:
@Seraphim38 Thanks for sharing the image! Nice looking build! That's almost identical to what I was considering so the visual is very much appreciated.

Good to know RE Aquila Standard Velocity.

Have you tried the Federal Black Pack stuff? Curious because I might have a few rounds purchased during the recent sale :)

The CCI High Velocity Mini Mag is a 40GR CP round nose bullet rated at 1235 fps.

The Federal Black Pack 22LR is a 36GR CPHP rated at 1260 fps.

I have the 350 round and 525 round bricks of Federal match ammo and they seem to work fine.
And 22 ammo is so cheap that if it gets a FTE, I clear it and move on. That gun is all about fun; I am not super concerned about the occasional failure, so I pretty much run any cheap ammo I have. I bought a few thousand rounds of the Federal stuff so I am not worried. I just wish that my 300 Blackout was as cheap to run as this gun!

@Seraphim38 Thanks for sharing the image! Nice looking build! That's almost identical to what I was considering so the visual is very much appreciated.

Good to know RE Aquila Standard Velocity.

Have you tried the Federal Black Pack stuff? Curious because I might have a few rounds purchased during the recent sale :)

The CCI High Velocity Mini Mag is a 40GR CP round nose bullet rated at 1235 fps.

The Federal Black Pack 22LR is a 36GR CPHP rated at 1260 fps.

Re ammo, mine cycles with everything except cci-quiet. Have used federal/am eagle suppressor (6 ppr @ brownells on sale), automatch. cci: 10 year old blazer, standard velocity, suppressor, mini-mag, stinger. Remington golden bullet. Zero hiccups with any of those. CCi-quiet doesn't have enough power to cycle though.

Also keep in mind that the recoil spring is adjustable. So if you are using lower power stuff you can make it cycle. I have never adjusted mine but it's easy to do.

@ilikegunspdx, Thank you for the detailed write-up! Yup, going to get one now...

I have one of the Walther HK MP5 22LRs (not the GSGs like you said). Super fun to shoot and very very accurate at 50 to 100 feet. Just looking for something different and this 416 looks to fit the spot. If the 416 is built to the same "heavy feel", high-quality as the MP5, I can see how the 416 rocks.

Thanks again!

View attachment 526856
My understanding is that the build quality is similar to the walther mp5 22lr clone, but I haven't held the mp5 clone myself.

Last Edited:
A couple other FYIs while I think of it.

Check this video at 7:49 mark for bolt removal procedure:

There is a 50 round drum available but I have heard numerous reports of malfunctions with that. I just shop around for cheap M4 30 round mags and use online coupons etc. fo rthem.

Also check the video above at the 11:40 mark for "procedure" to keep the bolt open without a mag. It's just pushing a little lever (mag bolt hold open lever) when the bolt is open.

Last Edited:

Thanks again!

View attachment 526856
I think you should trade me that mp5 for something or sell it to me. ;) Been wanting to play with one!

oops I forgot to mention that end cap is just held in with a long allen bolt. Because it's all metal, you can do whatever you want to modify it. F.e. if you add a little piece of metal pic rail you can add a folding sig brace see pics below). U can also use UTG ($15) or (Insert name here later when I remember it - Ace I think?) $50 folding adapters and then attach a buffer tube and shockwave (or whatever) brace. Page 3 of this thread has some info on folding adapters Best brace...

Here is mine:

EB0BF3B7-EB2C-414E-8698-C0B9FD5267DE.jpeg
4106259E-0E42-4382-B809-6036572A82EA.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class