JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just starting the process of looking for a better 9mm pistol. I know the first thing I'll hear is to get a Glock. While getting one isn't off the table, I haven't really liked how they fit my hand so far. I don't recall the models I've handled, but they just seemed fat in my hand. Again, not off the table but not my first pick either.

I started looking at the HK VP9 and like several things about it, including the changeable grips. Yes, I'm aware that the upgraded recoil spring seems to have issues with lighter bullets. Still, there seems to be a lot to like about the gun. Then, I started looking at the P30, which is slightly smaller with a hammer and changeable grips. I think I like the P30 better as it's slightly smaller size will make it easier to carry, though the difference isn't that much. Both appear to be well-made and accurate guns. Any thoughts from owners of either or both?

Both good pistols. I went with the vp9 because sportsman warehouse had a killer sale on it a couple years ago, otherwise I would have went with the p30. Depend on what you prefer striker or hammer. One thing I will note is that my vp9 will go into battery when I'm performing a reload with a new mag. Doesn't really bother me, but just an observation. IMO, if I could only have 1, it would be a glock19...:

with factory trigger, you will be much happy with the vp9.
What about the LEM trigger on the P30? While no one is saying it's perfect, many seem to like it. The VP9 being stryker fired I would expect the trigger pull to be more consistent. I have to think there's a reason so many prefer a hammer over a striker besides the ability to use their thumb as a safety.

I learned what a "bad" trigger is with my SD9VE, and what a better one is with my EC9S.

I have a Glock 19 gen3 and a HK VP9. I'm extremely accurate with the VP9 and not so much with the G19. I can hit IDPA silhouette target with both at 20 yards, but can only ring 3" gongs with the VP9 at the same distance.

Can't speak to the P30 vs VP9 difference but I would think they would be similar due to being from the same manufacturer just like the Sig P320 and P250.

Oh, as for carrying both the G19 and VP9 are in my rotation. Just like they taught us in the military, I'm more concerned about center mass than pinpoint accuracy. In a defensive situation, adrenaline is going to make fine motor actions harder.

Subject Matter Expert here (all subjective though).

I was a heavy user of multiples of both models (VP9 & P30 V3 9mm) for a few years.

P30 is one of my favorite pistols of all time; until I pull the long, heavy DA trigger and then I really dislike it. Always gave me inconsistent first shot POI. Everything else is wonderful (or almost wonderful).

VP9 never really gave me the feeling of being much 'better' than my other striker fire pistols. Also the grip was not identical to the P30 and I always faulted it for not being as comfortable as the P30.

I would range use both frequently during the same sessions/classed because of interchangeability of magazines.

I didn't want to upgrade the P30 trigger and had enough of the suffering so all of them are gone now.

I didn't acclimate to the VP9 like I intended so they are gone now (Last one was sold last week).

Of the two, P30 was better for me overall.

I have a Glock 19 gen3 and a HK VP9. I'm extremely accurate with the VP9 and not so much with the G19. I can hit IDPA silhouette target with both at 20 yards, but can only ring 3" gongs with the VP9 at the same distance.

Can't speak to the P30 vs VP9 difference but I would think they would be similar due to being from the same manufacturer just like the Sig P320 and P250.

Oh, as for carrying both the G19 and VP9 are in my rotation. Just like they taught us in the military, I'm more concerned about center mass than pinpoint accuracy. In a defensive situation, adrenaline is going to make fine motor actions harder.
I agree that small differences don't matter when under stress. One concern is the time it will take to become proficient with the gun. I've learned that if I don't like shooting it I won't shoot it as much. Comfort, accuracy, recoil are important parts of this to me. Some of that is skills related for sure, but much of it has to do with the gun being the right fit. I already have two which are very reliable guns (SD9VE/EC9S), but I don't like shooting either one.

I have a VP40 & P30 both. The VP9 is going to be the same as the VP40 aside from 9mm/40sw.
Like many have said, the VP triggers are really nice from the factory... Reset was long from the factory & the greyguns trigger bar helped a lot here.
I shoot both guns equally fast & accurate - both feel good in the hand with an edge going to the VP pistol. I shoot the VP40 more often than the P30 with no modifications.

P30 isn't any smaller than the VP9 and I don't care what the "specs" say. They use the same magazine to grip length is the same, VP has a lower bore axis, therefore "less tall" slide, P30 has a slightly shorter barrel but not significantly.

It comes down to striker or hammer fired and which you prefer. Handle both blindfolded and you'll be amazed how similar they really are

What about the LEM trigger on the P30? While no one is saying it's perfect, many seem to like it. The VP9 being stryker fired I would expect the trigger pull to be more consistent. I have to think there's a reason so many prefer a hammer over a striker besides the ability to use their thumb as a safety.

I learned what a "bad" trigger is with my SD9VE, and what a better one is with my EC9S.
I would strongly, STRONGLY suggest you try a LEM before you buy a LEM. I bought a USP with one and it's the most bizarre trigger I've tried. It's double action but.... Only kinda. Think super long pull, squishy single action for feel

Given the current circumstances it may be a while before I can try one. I think I have it narrowed down to one of 3 guns.

H&K P30
H&K VP9
Glock 19

I want to be able to shoot each of them before I buy. Like I said, that could be a while though.

P30 has more options than lem ,no safety hammer fired , safety w decoker and light lem ( length of pull might be changed) There is a sub compact also P30SK.
My choice P30SK hammer/no safety or a full sized HK 9mm(more money)

I was firmly in the P30 camp. Hammer-fired, l thought it was the closest available thing to my beloved USP9c, only smaller.

Then l got a chance at a P2000sk and changed my mind.*

The VP line have great triggers, rivaled only by Walther's excellent PPQ (and out of production P99) but when a choice between striker or hammer presents itself, my inner geezer will always pick the hammer-fired option.

*The P30sk is still my EDC, but only until l get a chance to vet the P2000sk and an appropriate holster... Christmas is coming!

ETA: Then there's this:
Lusty stuff

Last Edited:
There's no lack of very good guns. Rather than get lost in ALL the possibilities, I'm trying to stick with these three in order of preference:

H&K P30
H&K VP9
Glock 19

I like the changeable grips on the H&K's and they're reputed to be a wee bit more accurate than the Glock. A proper fit in my hand is high on my list and the H&K grips are by many accounts very comfortable. I've also read and watched videos claiming the H&K to be somewhat of a soft shooter in terms of felt recoil. These things appeal to me.

I know Glocks by reputation and have handled and shot a few of them. While fine guns, all have felt fat in my hand and slightly uncomfortable. That said, the G19 Gen5 has been suggested and I'm willing to give it an honest look. Besides, I can save a few dollars with a Glock on magazines alone.

My SD9VE has a heavy trigger with a hard break. In my hands, it's hard to hold the muzzle steady when it does break and my accuracy suffers. My EC9S has a much better trigger, but it's small and snappy enough that I don't enjoy shooting more than a few rounds through it. I have and do carry either one. The SD9VE has no safety, where the EC9S has both a thumb safety and a magazine safety. The SD9VE is 16+1 where the EC9S is 7+1. I prefer to carry the SD9VE for these reasons.

I'm not in a hurry, especially right now. I want to properly fondle each one first.

I have a VP9 and am really happy with it. I am able to use the interchangeable back-straps and find a fit that works for me. Trigger is good with no issues. The only modifications I have made are:

- Trigicon HD XR sights - can see them better with my "old eyes"
- enhanced support sleeve changed firing pin assembly sleeve from the plastic on to aluminum for long term wear
- tactical low profile extended mag-well

It is a very reliable pistol. My only regret is that it is not on the California Roster such that I cannot easily get additional ones.

OP, has mentioned a smaller H&K - have you also looked at the VP9sk?

VP 9L on the way ! image-full-200077-221806b280ccd71078bbec81c4eb4ef1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads