JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys!

Ended up pulling the trigger on another can! Went with the aac tirant 45! Kudos to Michael at mk tactical for working with me. I ended up submitting my paper work via trust even though the efile server is down. (First time using a trust for nfa items) I'll let everyone know my experience in the next several monthes with this route!

Anyway, the tirant comes with a m16x1 thread pitch and also ordered a .578x 28 to cover other barrels. If memory serves me correctly. The usp tactical is m16x1 lh pitch. I have some glock and 1911 hosts I can use, but I just want an excuse to add either the usp tactical or sig p220/p227. I wanted to try to get others experiences on these pistols. I have a fnx 9, and it's a nice pistol, but not nice enough for me to want a fnx 45 tactical. Happy 4th!!!

I've only shot USP compacts, so don't know about the HK Tac, except that it has a fairly large grip. HK USP 45 mags are usually spendier than those for a 220 or 227. Maybe check on mag (and parts/holster) availability too.

I've not shot a 227, but have shot several P220s (including carry and compact models), both the older ones with folded carbon slides and internal extractors, and newer ones with stainless slides and external extractors. Skip those with stainless slides with internal extractors.

220s can be extremely accurate (just like an HK), and I've never had any ftf, fte, etc., with a 220 series gun. But I think the arched trigger bar spring needs to be replaced more frequently than the coiled trig bar spring Sig puts on it's other classic P series guns. You can always upgrade to E2 grips, which will use the coiled spring and lasts longer.

Sig is also putting the Short Reset Trigger on a lot of its guns now, such as the P220 Combat. The SRT allows for really fast follow up shots. I think some of the 227s also have the SRT. Try to compare that reset to an HK Tac.

If you decide on a 220 or 227, watch out for the flat/thin looking trigger (aka the "short trigger"). Sig is putting those on a lot of its newer 220/7s, and I personally hate them. They reduce the reach to the trigger, but by too much IMO, and it caused the base of my right hand trigger finger to contact the side of the frame behind the trigger -- throws the shot left. Sometimes it would also pinched my finger once the trigger was completely depressed. A Gray's Gun trigger or standard reach Sig trigger is a good fix.

Good luck with your decision.

I've only shot USP compacts, so don't know about the HK Tac, except that it has a fairly large grip. HK USP 45 mags are usually spendier than those for a 220 or 227. Maybe check on mag (and parts/holster) availability too.

I've not shot a 227, but have shot several P220s (including carry and compact models), both the older ones with folded carbon slides and internal extractors, and newer ones with stainless slides and external extractors. Skip those with stainless slides with internal extractors.

220s can be extremely accurate (just like an HK), and I've never had any ftf, fte, etc., with a 220 series gun. But I think the arched trigger bar spring needs to be replaced more frequently than the coiled trig bar spring Sig puts on it's other classic P series guns. You can always upgrade to E2 grips, which will use the coiled spring and lasts longer.

Sig is also putting the Short Reset Trigger on a lot of its guns now, such as the P220 Combat. The SRT allows for really fast follow up shots. I think some of the 227s also have the SRT. Try to compare that reset to an HK Tac.

If you decide on a 220 or 227, watch out for the flat/thin looking trigger (aka the "short trigger"). Sig is putting those on a lot of its newer 220/7s, and I personally hate them. They reduce the reach to the trigger, but by too much IMO, and it caused the base of my right hand trigger finger to contact the side of the frame behind the trigger -- throws the shot left. Sometimes it would also pinched my finger once the trigger was completely depressed. A Gray's Gun trigger or standard reach Sig trigger is a good fix.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the info! I really really want to talk myself into the hk, but like you said the mags are a bit pricey and the rail does need an adaptar to run my x300. I'm leaning towards the p220, but am intrigued by the p227. The p227 gives a little more capacity. I feel like hk gives limited options to us public folks. :)

I bought the HK45 Tactical instead of the USP Tactical because the grip felt better in my hand and it was less of a boxy feeling (10 rds vs 12) then the USP.
The USP Tac does come with the taller sights and adjustable trigger, but they're not night sights, so I was going to replace them anyway.
I like the factory trigger that came with mine, so I don't feel the need to make adjustments.
One concern that I had when comparing the two HK's side by side, was that little mushroom shaped button on the back of the USP trigger.
It seemed to me, that it could be a potential snag issue and when coupled with the wider grips, I found that shooting both models with my SilencerCo Osprey, the HK45 was more accurate in my hands (even with the shorter factory) sights then the USP.
I also dislike the extra large logos on the side of the USP. They looked kinda cheap and over the top advertizing for an HK product. I prefer more of a discreet logo.
Also, the tac rail is not the odd ball HK proprietary rail, but a standard size.

hk 45 with Osprey 003.JPG

The USP series is a really cool looking pistol. And all other things being equal, if I had to choose I'd take an HK USPc, HK45, or 45c over a 220. The only thing that would change my decision from an HK to a 220 or 227, would be the short reset trigger.

If you search the net for extra HK mags, you can find some really good deals.
I picked up two brand new 10rd HK45 mags in the wrappers for $25.00 each.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top