JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The collapsible stock is pretty sweet if you're planning to SBR. If you decide not to form 1 it, the SB tactical folding brace is pretty nice as well.

As far as mags, the genuine HK ones are the best. They run around $70 each. The Gen 2 KCI mags are solid at half that price too.

I hear it's best to avoid the ETS mags

Do I need to replace any parts on the SP5 to make it compatible with the collapsible stock or the SB tactical folding brace (while I wait for the form 1). Which collapsible stock are you referring to? Is it the MP5 F A3 collapsible stock?

The collapsible stock is pretty sweet if you're planning to SBR. If you decide not to form 1 it, the SB tactical folding brace is pretty nice as well.

As far as mags, the genuine HK ones are the best. They run around $70 each. The Gen 2 KCI mags are solid at half that price too.

I hear it's best to avoid the ETS mags
The ETS mags work fine but look imo fugly on an MP5, two came with my PTR9CT.
The South Korean mags are well worth the reduced cost picked up two for $70+ shipping.(bought same time as brace, and classic wide handguard)
Never even the slightest hiccup with mulitple types of ammo, even dirt cheap stuff, trust me from using them those South Korean's know how to make a good MP5 magazine.
There is also the brace route, I actually prefer how the brace shoulders with the SB Tactical HKPDW brace than the real collapsible MP5 stock.(That said it doesn't look as good as the stock,but functionality wise way better imo have over 1k rounds through mine with the brace)
If you have no plans of using a vertical-foregrip the brace might make more sense.

I went with an SB brace for now. Since its made for the MP5 you have to trim off some of the brace mounting buffer, to clear the extra tabs HK put on the back of the inner part of the receiver. BUT would rather mod a $250 ish brace vrs. a $2500+ gun. IF I get a 2nd one I will SBR one, but for now, keeping this one easy to transfer for the future. No plans to sell it but don't want to lock into only an SBR transfer. The brace is not that bad.

IMG_0970.jpg

The only mod I have done is to swap out the SP5K sight for the true German HK MP5 diopter sight.

IMG_0972.jpg

Its a fun one to shoot and man it runs great suppressed.

Do I need to replace any parts on the SP5 to make it compatible with the collapsible stock or the SB tactical folding brace (while I wait for the form 1). Which collapsible stock are you referring to? Is it the MP5 F A3 collapsible stock?

Yeah, the F A3 stock. I went with the folding brace, but the PDW brace that Helocat posted also looks nice.

For mags, I have chosen to keep it all German. Cost a bit more but they always feed. In Dec. Midway had German-made MP5 mags for $62 each but on backorder. I took the lower price to wait. They shipped the first part of Feb. I am keeping the new mags locked up. I have the two the SP5 came with and the two the SP5K came with so 4 at the range works well for me. Not really doing a tactical loadout with either, just grinning every time I shoot them!
IMG_0973.jpg

Does the SP5 come with a German MP5 diopter or is it the same sight the SP5k came with. Just making sure I know what I have before I order a German part.

Yes HK is shipping the SP5 (at least mine from Dec 2019) with the same castle style sight as the SP5K. Its not the diopter site with the round holes like the MP5. I ordered the German MP5 diopter from HK Parts, bolts right up. I think they have a US-made version that is cheaper and helps you with your US-made part needs for form 1.

HK. SP5K and SP5 side by side sights. The SP5K is in the foreground.

IMG_0976.jpg

I personally like the solid OE looking stock. My second choice would be the collapsible stock. But I went the brace route because I have more options. I just installed the brace, didn't have to cut anything (I have the POF MP5).

As far as mags go. I only have experience with HK and POF mags. I have 3 curved HK, two straight/stick HK mags, and one POF curved. They all work good and no issues. I think I will buy a couple 20 round KCI mags to see how they function.

For duty or self defense carry/use, I would only trust factory mags. For range fun, I'd use whatever mag. I also have no issues shooting steel case ammo.

20200408_031525.jpg

Since the introduction of the SP5 the prices of HK A3 stocks has skyrocketed. Even the non HK copies are going up significantly. I have seen genuine HK stocks selling for $500-$800 and some instances even higher. This does make a brace option more price attractive, but personally I just don't like to look.

As for magazines, I run a mixture of HK, MKE, and POF and do so with confidence that they all work. I can't make the same claim with KCI or ETS magazine. The only factory/contract magazine that I have ever had issues with is a 1967 HK stick magazine.......which reminds me, if someone wants to trade a 1967 HK stick magazine for a curved magazine....let me know. :D

Is HK still producing the German MP5 diopter and are they also producing more of the F A3 stocks. Basically, if I wait will the price come back down? It feels like trying to shop for TP at Costco when I should probably just sit tight.

Since the introduction of the SP5 the prices of HK A3 stocks has skyrocketed. Even the non HK copies are going up significantly. I have seen genuine HK stocks selling for $500-$800 and some instances even higher. This does make a brace option more price attractive, but personally I just don't like to look.

As for magazines, I run a mixture of HK, MKE, and POF and do so with confidence that they all work. I can't make the same claim with KCI or ETS magazine. The only factory/contract magazine that I have ever had issues with is a 1967 HK stick magazine.......which reminds me, if someone wants to trade a 1967 HK stick magazine for a curved magazine....let me know. :D
Maybe I should list my NIB A3 stock. I'd let it go for $800. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top