JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In general, machining has reduced costs. It's inexpensive these days to load a chunk of aluminum into a CNC and have it spit out a receiver.

Unfortunately, that means the old guns that are of stampings and require welding, require more human labor. Therefore making them more expensive, unless produced in China or some third world nation of course. Combine that with a gun manufacturer that is in no way in the game of making guns for US consumers, you get a very expensive gun.

Back in the day, lots of guns were designed so they could be made without lots of tooling. Therefore in times of war, lots of simply manufacturing companies could start producing guns too. This gun was designed similarly.

Then we hit the age of CNC and ever increasing costs of manual labor.

Then add the name Heckler and Koch, a name that really just wants to make a lot of guns for big contracted governing agencies, and well, you have a $2500 gun.

I understand why these types of guns ARE expensive.

Still working out understanding $1000+ Rimfire though...

We should all get together somewhere, total up how much we all collectively spent (Trump economy!), and then divide up a box of ammo between us because that is all the $$ we will have left.

-E-

Last Edited:
My buddy bought one last month and I got to fondle it. Looks good but still not worth $3k IMO.
20200121_222816.png

The MP5 is the standard all other sub guns are judged by. It is a solid robust machine that fires from a roller locked closed bolt, most of your 9mm AR's will fire from a straight blow back bolt which uses weight and a heavy recoil spring to keep it closed long enough, which means more recoil then also a forward slap when it closes.

So an inferior weapon to the AR for 2-3+ times the cost, check.

If you are not a MP-5 or roller lock guy, you should probably just leave this thread and move on. Roller locks are an affliction bordering on disorder. If you don't get it, you won't get it.

-E-

German engineering is obviously lost on a few here. It would be akin to explaining the difference between Bulova and A. Lange and Sohne. They both keep time.

That all stated, I have similar feelings about the price for a (civilian)FN SCAR.

What can it do that an AR-15/AR-10(or the HK416;)) can't accomplish? I suppose the "Special" tag comes into play.

Most people. Not all, but most, that don't see the reason to want one have never fired one along side a PCC built on the AR platform.
There is a world of difference.
Arguing weather or not the cartridge is sufficient is another matter entirely which seems to be the direction some of the naysayers here are headed.
Might as well start up the old 45 vs 9mm or 308 vs 5.56 debate again if they want to wander down that path...
If a person wants a PCC in 9mm, this is the one to get.
But who am I trying to convince? There are guys out there who would rather have 3 rock island 1911s than one Ed Brown orNighthawk. I know a few. They have a safe full of low cost guns that they couldn't possibly use often let alone properly train with. Unless they are independently wealthy and have near unlimited range time and ammo money.
I am not trying to say anyone here is the "That guy" but the mentality certainly is similar.
It is true, there are also those men that only buy what consensus says is "the best" as a way to make up for other shortcomings.
And sometimes, people just like what they like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top