JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My HK SP5 arrived last Friday at my local FFL transfer, Glen at Click N Firearms in Dundee, OR. Can not recommend Glen enough as a solid small FFL too work with. Arrived in a craft over box with the soft-sided gun bag with the HK patch on the center. Odd the patch was oversize for the bags velcro panel so thinking HK just bought some generic bags and tossed the patch on them. Inside was the real thing w/ two German mags and the HK Bungie sling. Also the HK SP5K, yes the K, manual was included. No SP5 manual as I guess they figured its almost the same as the K.

Handling is outstanding and finally, the OEM paddle mag release is already there. (I have an early SP5K w/o the paddle release) I have an order coming from HK Parts to swap out the rear site from the pistol open notch to the correct German MP5 diopter sight.

I did pre-order an SB Tactical collapsible brace to have it on standby when the SP5 came in. Discovered an interesting thing HK did with the SP5, they welded a small tang on the inside of the receiver so in this case, the brace did not just slide on. This explains why the rear cover cap did not have a typical HK buffer in it, its just missing. To get the SB brace on I had to notch the buffer and remove one of the small 2.5mm Allen head screws that otherwise hits the added "tang" inside the receiver. It was that or remove the metal part from the gun since the gun was more than 10x the cost of the brace, the brace got modified. Tore it down, cleaned it of HK shipping oil and it was ready to go.

Fortunately, I also own the HK SP5K so my mag count just went up. Loaded up 115G FMJ and some 165G FMJ Subs and hit the range. Gun ran flawless and is so soft to shoot. Poped on my SIG SRD9 can on the threads, I am not cool enough to own a proper tri-lug can. The 165g Extream bullets with 3g of TiteGoup ran smooth and quiet with the solid "whack" downrange of the lead hitting paper and "thud" of dirt.

The bottom line, ya was not cheap but I am so happy with how it shoots and to just own it. My teenage boys already wonder who will get that out of Dad's collection someday. I like it so much I plan on getting a second to leave bone stock, then SBR this one. If you can find one, its a keeper.

IMG_0419.jpg

Genuinely curious, not trying to start a fight, but what does it do for home or self defense that a $500 AR or AR pistol can't do far better and far cheaper? Is it just an extra $2000 cool factor?

If its anything like the original, and from the people on the web that have demo'd it, it is.
Reliabilty, no question there as far as i am concerned, if fired a few old models and some mp5s and they never had a malf.
Durability, many people report as many as 100,000 plus rounds fired and still within specs. for accuracy and reliability. It also has a lifetime warranty.
if you have ever fired a delayed blowback smg vs a direct blowback, the difference is huge in comfort and accuracy, worlds better. especially for single shot at distance.
And then there is the plain ol' cool factor. I have 6 or so different AR15s and a couple AR10s.

Genuinely curious, not trying to start a fight, but what does it do for home or self defense that a $500 AR or AR pistol can't do far better and far cheaper? Is it just an extra $2000 cool factor?

The MP5 is the standard all other sub guns are judged by. It is a solid robust machine that fires from a roller locked closed bolt, most of your 9mm AR's will fire from a straight blow back bolt which uses weight and a heavy recoil spring to keep it closed long enough, which means more recoil then also a forward slap when it closes.

If its anything like the original, and from the people on the web that have demo'd it, it is.
Reliabilty, no question there as far as i am concerned, if fired a few old models and some mp5s and they never had a malf.
Durability, many people report as many as 100,000 plus rounds fired and still within specs. for accuracy and reliability. It also has a lifetime warranty.
if you have ever fired a delayed blowback smg vs a direct blowback, the difference is huge in comfort and accuracy, worlds better. especially for single shot at distance.
And then there is the plain ol' cool factor. I have 6 or so different AR15s and a couple AR10s.

Yes, I've fired various fully auto MP5s several times and significant amounts of ammo in the Army. Fully auto training on many different variants both CONUS and in OIF. Handled a number of them doing inventories as well.

Reliability. Tied. ARs are every bit as reliable. I was not a fan of DI for many many years but it's hard to argue with the success of the current (last couple decade) designs and modularity.
Durability. ARs have been in service by a larger forces in broader context much longer. Nod to the AR.
Cool factor. Eh, about even. If MP5s were common and ARs rare, the AR would be more novel and cool. In every sense of the word, ARs are more ergonomic and useful. 5.56 is far superior in every sense. The world abandoned the MP5 for ARs for a reason. Objectively speaking, ignoring how common they've become, the AR is a cooler rifle/weapon really.

I'd rather have 5 ARs for the same price as 1 MP5. YMMV.

Anyway, enjoy! Not mean to rain on your parade but just curious if there was something for which I was unaware. Apparently there's not.:D

The MP5 is the standard all other sub guns are judged by. It is a solid robust machine that fires from a roller locked closed bolt, most of your 9mm AR's will fire from a straight blow back bolt which uses weight and a heavy recoil spring to keep it closed long enough, which means more recoil then also a forward slap when it closes.

Is it semi-auto?

Does it still fire a 9mm?

How is it superior to a $600 Glock 17L or 34 with a stick magazine? The Glock is 1/5th the price and concealable. No appreciable difference in firepower. You can buy 5 Glocks for the same price...

Its an MP5. Thats the difference. Of course it would be better full auto but this is an iconic firearm that has been in tons of movies and used extensively by german police. Its a small compact submachinegun (originally). There needs to not be any specific reason why this is better or not than a glock, its simply what defeated the bad guys in the nakatomi tower...

However, I personally would never shell out that kind of money for it even though id like to have one. I simply think its overpriced.

Helocat,
Congratulations on a nice weapon! Glad to see HK import a real version and it lives up to the reputation.

Lead,
Get what you are asking, but IMO all logic on price/value goes away when it comes to premium items.
A Toyota Camry is a known good, reliable, and most popular car in America etc for many years. Great commuter car. Let's call it the AR of vehicals . ;)
Then there is the Mercedes Maybach. Yes, you can get 5 loaded Camry's for the base price of one. But damn they nice. Not everyone thinks so, but how many ppl have one? It don't have to make logical sense, it just DOES!
I'd LOVE to get a real HK MP-5 family weapon myself. (Hell, a Maybach too lol.)

Don't want to speak for others, but home and self defense are probably not on the list of why you'd buy a HK. What I can say it does better: Resale/collector value. Performance: not blow your ears out, or over penetrate (5.56) and suppresses better (9mm).

Me, I'm gonna try to be a baller on a budget. Hope PSA gets their act together and puts out a true roller lock clone. I can use the same mags as my AK-V and Scorpion. Triple win in my book.
Also, I have a Camry and only got to the 350 C class in my Benz dreams, but it's an AMG! lol:s0090:

Last Edited:
By the time I am done finishing out and re-marking my SP-5 I'll probably be tailgating $4k. Tax stamp, correct A3 stock, remarked and refinished "MP5-N", erase the ugly bubblegum warning label, and a new trigger housing. Luckily I already have a MP5 specific silencer or I'd be adding that to the menu as well.

Yes I get it.....for that kind of money I could buy a crate full of Glocks. But seriously ....ewwww.....why would I want to?

-E-

Its an MP5. Thats the difference. Of course it would be better full auto but this is an iconic firearm that has been in tons of movies and used extensively by german police. Its a small compact submachinegun (originally). There needs to not be any specific reason why this is better or not than a glock, its simply what defeated the bad guys in the nakatomi tower...

However, I personally would never shell out that kind of money for it even though id like to have one. I simply think its overpriced.
Pretty much my take.

For the record I bought a AUG clone for twice the cost of an AR, before AR pistols with braces. I sorta regret it. Way overpriced. I can admit it's purely cool factor.

Personally, I can't stand HK so I would never pay their asking price for their guns. I do however like the looks and design of the MP5.

I bought a POF and I am very happy with it. I would put my POF up against a HK any day.

Yeah, and you SHOULD get 'em before they encase H&K in concrete, because you know what the price will be like after that!

Easy to say what the HKSP5 does for me! = It makes me smile every time I pick it up, more when I shoot it suppressed with my 165g custom sub loads.

I smile almost as much as when picking up my HK SP5K, but not as much. The SP5 is just 100% the real deal we can legally own. Home defense? Sure if my guns for that are not available, but honestly this just like the SP5K is more of the joy of owning and shooting it. It joins the ranks of owning an FN PS90, AUG A1, FN 5.7, sure you could use them for defense but more of the fun of just using them.

$$ wise, its just cash sitting in the form of an MP5 looking thing. It will convert to hard dollars anytime I wish since its the OG, HK. Also if its anything like the HK94 and SP89, those just skyrocketed in value over time when HK stopped bringing them in. HK will probably keep pumping the SP5 into the US, then as history repeats itself, stop and those SP5's sitting in safes will creep up in value. But that's not why I own this one or #2 that I am looking for. I just like them.

I doubt anyone unless they had to convince a spouse why they just plopped down the cash for a new HK, is thinking home defense value with this thing. I agree 100% with you a $500, heck $400 AR is more universal, but that would be (and now is) a thread called "What is the most economically responsible but functional gun to own".

Posted one in another thread yesterday not sure if it's gone but Jim's gun warehouse emailed me today as well saying they have one or 2 if people are still looking and not interested in gun broker high prices. I'm just passing on info I dont get anything if anyone buys one. Seems like their trickling in as I'm finally getting replys from reps. I picked one up so dont need another

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top