JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to purchase another gun at the earliest today last end of November.

I don't have a full size pistol and I have handled the full size 1911 and the HK and like them both. Shooting the HK today as I want to see how it feels at the range. Which is a more reliable gun if you had to depend on it? Realizing the 1911 reliability could be brand specific which 1911 would you recomend?

One of my concerns with a 1911 is that that are so pretty I am afraid to have them anywhere other the the safe or in a case.

Currently shoot the Kimber Ultra Carry and Kahr PM9 the most. Price range I am sticking with is near $1000 so keep that in mind.

Thanks
Tlakidd

The HK P30 and P30L are my favorite CCW's. Unlike the 1911, you don't need any special tools to take apart the HK P30 or P30L and you can put it back together just as easy, cleaning is simple. While I like my 1911's the HK's IMO are much more durable, can run dirty, carry double the rounds and are very close in physical size for conceal carry compared to the 1911.
I didn't like the P30's and P30L's roughness of the grip on my skin for conceal carry so I lightly sanded down the grip and used some black tire gel to match the color, problem solved. I also replaced the standard HK glow night sights for trijicon night sights.
Many people do not like the V3 trigger on the HK's but they work well for me, although there are options to improve the trigger. [sarcasm]I can shoot the wings off a fly at 50 yards with my HK and I am sure that you will be able too on your first trip to the range, it is that good.[/sarcasm]
Back here in reality, HK P30 and P30L owners find the pistols to be very easy to shoot with great accuracy results. IMO, buy the HK, then buy another for redundancy. Two is one, one is none.

Some people don't do well with 1911's, as they are not willing to be their own armorer and/or have a drive to learn about the platform. A 1911 owner must be able to fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself.

As has been stated by a true 1911 guy;
If you are the kind of guy that doesn't mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don't get a 1911 – get something else.

Onto some of the points made above;
Not all 1911's need any special tools to take them apart. Some models are made with special screws etc., that are not of the original design...its a makers malfunction, not the 1911.

A properly made 1911 will run thousands of rounds without a problem, and can run very dirty, again if they are made properly. Problem is, a lot of makers don't put a whole lot of love into them anymore.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ha...1-berryhill-custom-afp-1911-=-dirt-tough.html

...and the case head of the 45 ACP is made to remove the grip screws...and can also double as the recoil spring plug, in case the original gets launched!

I have 1911's and many of the newer HK's. They are both accurate, and, reliable with proper maintenance. The HK's are easier to maintain. I carry the HK's, but I enjoy the 1911 more.

I've gone through 5 1911s, 2 Glock 21s, and have finally settled on a USP45.

I love 1911s, but have always wanted more capacity, I just couldn't shoot the Glocks well ( little too chunky for my hand...took me two tries to figure that out :s0112: ) but I found a winner in the HK. Grip size and angle work well for me, double action trigger isn't bad, single is great and has the ability to carry cocked and locked if I choose. It's been a great gun that carries surprisingly well in an IWB holster.

You might also check out the FNP45, very similar size to the HK with a grip shape closer to the 1911.

If it is for a range gun, the 1911's are fun. If you are relying on it for home defense or carry, the HK P30, or HK 45 would be my choice. The current factory 1911's are not as reliable these days. Move up your price range and you can get a reliable 1911. I love the style and feel of the 1911, but my EDC is an HK 45c. I also have a P30s and it is a fun gun to shoot, but the trigger is not as nice as the 45. It is going off to Bruce Grey for some love very soon.