JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The iconic HK MP5 (in a civilian variant MP5K) is coming to the US this month. $2600 is ouch, but it's kind of a piece of history. Is anyone planning on getting one, or did anyone already got one?

There have never been a true Civilian official HK made MP5 since the the 81 NFA on transferable machine guns and short barrel rifles. as the original MP5 was a short barreled sub machine gun.

The civilian models were known as the Hk94. Hk stopped exporting them when the 89 import ban went into effect.

I am sure these will have the semi auto trigger pack and 16" barrel but if it says H$K Mp5 on it thats what they will be.

Just like the colt M4 Carbine. It was not originally a civilian rifle it was military but Colt did the NFA compliance on it and stamped them Colt M4 Carbine making a civilian M4 carbine.

There are many MP5 clones on the market but again there are just clones usually built as pistols which not a MP5 or as Hk94 clones with 16" barrel and semi auto only trigger pack even though some were built with authentic MP5 demilled parts the receivers were not HK made thus making them clones. But we can call them what ever we want just like calling a Bushmaster, BCM, or Rock River arms Ar15 clone a Ar15 the only true AR15 are the ones made by colt and stamped AR15 even a colt sporter is just a clone.

No I am not a snob I call all my ar15s ar15 even if they are not.

I've never understood the attraction for a small semiauto pistol caliber "pistol" version of a the HK mp5 sub gun when something like a Glock with an extended mag will serve the same purpose and be easier to conceal and probably easier to shoot. Not to mention less parts and easier to clean.

I've never understood the attraction for a small semiauto pistol caliber "pistol" version of a the HK mp5 sub gun when something like a Glock with an extended mag will serve the same purpose and be easier to conceal and probably easier to shoot. Not to mention less parts and easier to clean.

These type of guns are rugged, simple and some have a easily changed chrome lined barrel.
And 30+ round magazines are often plentiful and cheep. [Just not the hk]

But it's mostly because they look cool?

That's all I need. :D

Last Edited:
I had the opportunity to fire an MP5K fully auto several years ago. What impressed me was how balanced and controllable it was - it just seemed to float there. To me that would be the standard I'd use to compare similar weapons like the Sig.

Cost is the only reason I won't be getting the semi auto version - I think for a platform this old and widely manufactured it would be much lower. Excellent firearm, but poor value.

Its cause they are sexy cool.

Some people question the attraction to Ar15s Or AKMs Or any other firearm other than their own. Some people even question why we even need guns.

Its a personal right and personal preference its really that simple.

Cost is the only reason I won't be getting the semi auto version - I think for a platform this old and widely manufactured it would be much lower. Excellent firearm, but poor value.

Its because it say "H&K MP5" on it and the preban hk94s and SP89s are around $4500-5000 now they see they can capitalize on their name . They must have lost out on a gov contact due to newer better rifles now when manufactures hold gov contracts they kind of do some butt kissing (does not take away from them being probably the sexiest rifle ever). Also the fact that quality clones are selling for over $2000.

The 94s originally retailed for around $750 with the retractable stock back prior to 1989.

I am curious if they will really be doing it this time though there was rumors for several years they were going to start producing these in the US at the HK factory.

If only we could get the Koreans to start exporting Daewoo DR200s again.

To the contrary, it's a 4 1/2 inch barrel. The trigger pack is semi indeed.

how about posting a link to the info.

what you are describing is a SP89 which is basically a Mp5K without a stock
once you add a stock to that it requires a SBR stamp or a 16" overall length barrel for NFA compliance so it could be a 4.5' but it would need a very long muzzle device permanently attached.

ok and is this going to be in 9mm they were calling their .22 Mp5 look alike a Mp5 and since they are HK they can do that even though it only cosmetically is a Mp5

From what i have read its not a MP5K

its a SP5K that is not a MP5K

The headlines say Mp5k to get everyones attention

Basically the same thing just a civilian version with the correct modifications to make it legal

Yep its not a MP5K the article used that as a attention getter and for Search engine optimization more people searching Mp5 than SP5

Its a SP5k something new based on a old design

to me its more like a HK SP89 but Mp5 searches are a lot higher so higher on the search engine scale.

I thought the name was changed to SP5 as in "Semi-auto Pistol" vs MP5 = Machine Pistol. Trigger group would be different but the rest, pretty much identical. Maybe just a marketing ploy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top