JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
***Warning Long Read***

Historical correctness....
Can mean many things to many different people.

Roughly it means :
Being dressed , equipped and doing things in a way , that would not attract much attention during a particular time period...
Often at a specific place in time.

It can even be a 'So What" or "Who cares".
After all it is really the 21st century....
And as seen below expensive in terms of both time and money.

If you are into muzzle loading , just for the fun of it or as a way to extend your hunting season...
Then being historically correct , probably ain't high on your list of things to do.*
Which is fine , not everyone wants to be historically correct.
Luckily for us there ain't no law that says you have to be... :D

I am posting some things below , to consider when being historically correct.
Please note that these things are just my thoughts and experiences.
They are not meant as The Way To Do Things...or to be read as Andy's Way or the Highway....

The firearms themselves often need looking at or worked on.
This includes both most off the shelf models...and many custom firearms.
Things that are often used or done but may be problematic are :

Coil springs for a main spring...
Sights that are too tall....
Carving that ain't period correct or that is too perfectly done..
This not to say that carving should be sloppy ...
I am saying that some modern carving is too precise for carving of the 18th or 19th century.....
The same can be said of inletting...
Modern stock and metal finishes....
Modern trends that tend to get copied...but which are seldom seen on antique firearms...
All of this means getting a new firearm..Then taking a file , screwdriver or other tool to it....
And then proceed to "fix" it...which takes a degree of skill to do well.

Just how a firearm was shot...was different.
Many folks nowadays , use a far too tight patch and ball combo , as well as a short starter , range rod and priming powder .
The last if a flintlock is used.
This was not done historically.
At best some things like short starters were hinted at...but none of the above was in common use during the 18th or 19th century.

Clothing is also an issue...
The clothes make the man , as the old saying goes , hold true here.

Laced together , chrome tanned leather with glued on plastic beads , just wasn't done.
Nor was the wearing of a dead critter for a hat , very popular.

Brain tan , bark tan or other natural tanned leather is a good choice...
However...it is expensive.
And....
Depending on the time and place...not even a historically correct option.
Edwin Denig , the factor ( Guy in charge ) of Ft. Union , wouldn't let folks into his mess hall unless they were dressed for meals.
As in a tie / cravat and clean clothes ...a suit and tie as one would say.
If you weren't dressed that way...no soup for you! :D
Remember this was in the wilds of the upper Missouri circa 1840.
Also worth noting , was that if you didn't have accepted clothes...You could rent such things at Ft.Union during this time period.
Anything to make a buck...ain't a new idea.

Another thing worth understanding is that no fur trader or trapper wore plains style war shirts....
Imagine if you will...
Timmy the Fur Trader....wearing a Mandan war shirt....comes across a Cheyenne hunting party or encampment...
Just how well received will he be...after all he is wearing a war shirt from an enemy tribe...yikes.

Clothing was as a general rule....
Plain , serviceable and of common materials , be they leather or fabric like wool or linen...even cotton at various times and places.

Sources used when looking up just what was done historically can be a challenge.
Far too often many historians can't keep themselves out of the book...and do things like :
Judge folks and their actions , which were the "standard" of the time , against modern values and the such...
Or are too quick to read into or take offense at a term ...this is not to say that one should use such terms nowadays...
Just be understanding that some terms that were used may not have been seen as an issue , then..as opposed to now.

First person accounts are a great source.
However...
They too can be problematic.
When were they written ?
What one thinks and feels right after an event ...may be different 20 or more years later.
Who wrote it ?
Many folks couldn't read or write...so....some accounts , written by an author with an eye for flair , may embellish a tale.
Writing styles of the 18th and 19th century can be ....interesting to say the least.

FedEx , UPS and others did not exist...
Just because something was invented in 1820....does not mean that it was in use on the frontier in 1820.
It took awhile for things to catch on...or to get from place to place.
What was in common use at Ft. Union in 1838....may not have been the same at Bent's Fort.

Also related is the common thought : "If they had it...they would have used it."
Which brings us to the below....

Historical allowances ....
Here is a tricky one.
What does one overlook...or even allow at so called pre-1840 **events...?
If one were to be strict about not allowing items that ain't pre-1840 at such events...
Then not a whole Hell of a lot folks would or could show up.

Period correct food was monotonous...Salt pork , a little bit of flour and coffee was the usual meal for a trapper when game was scarce or hunting not an option.
Horse flesh , dog and even other people were on the menu at times...
So...non period food and ways of cooking it..allowed or not...?

Health issues....
Dying of smallpox , poor medical practices and the like wasn't unheard of...
Allergy pills , aspirin and toilet paper sure come in handy....do we allow those..?

Age issues...
I have a great friend...who is in his 70's...
He sleeps on a air mattress (Covered by wool blankets ) ...should I tell him he can't play...?
Speaking of sleeping...
Most trappers and traders , when not at a fort or Indian encampment , slept out in the open.
Yes , tents were used...but not as much as today.
So...tents...should they be seen ?

Miscellaneous comforts...
Things like chairs , tables , coolers , and the like...
Do we do without them...?

For any of the questions above...
I answer with both yes and no.
Yes , if I am to be presenting myself to the public...with the intent of showing what it was like "back in the day".
And no...if I am in the company of others...who don't want to go as far as me in regards to historical correctness.
In any event....I do not expect others to go along with my standards or notions about being historically correct.
After all ...they are mine....and I am not one to say that I am the end all be all of anything.
Andy

*Not that being historically correct can't be fun..
Or that one can't hunt that way , within modern game laws.
**Pre 1840...Most rendezvous events adhere to a time period of around 1825 to around 1840.

Last Edited:
One more thing to consider ...
In a perhaps overly long , not going to be read by many , thread....

Just what is the purpose behind your event...?
Is to entertain...to invite others in , open to the public...
If so...
Then standards may be looser...after all as noted it is expensive to be historically correct.
And folks have to start somewhere...so to keep people out 'cause they ain't dressed or equipped right...
Will keep those folks from improving , or not playing at all.
Which means that many clubs , groups and such will go away...as well as interest.

Or is it a gathering of like minded friends , who want to be in an encampment , hunt , trek or the like...
Then standards could be tighter...'cause chances are the friends here have been doing it awhile.
They may already have what is correct ...and are looking to field test their gear or just challenge themselves with a small taste of what it was like back then...
Andy

Last Edited:
My thoughts on these things are that making a genuine attempt to be historically accurate is appreciated and fun, however the people who take it too far and too seriously tend to ruin the fun for others.

For example, let's say I have a rifle that's a very nearly perfect reproduction of a given style but it has machine made brass fittings which may have been common in a given region. However, the region we are participating in would have only had hand hammered black iron fittings and Mr. Over-the-top just can't let that detail go, nobody is going to have a good time.

Also, if it's snowing or rainy, I'm gonna want a tent. Not a modern tent, but something to keep me dry at least. There is no reason to be cold and wet to satisfy someone else's nitpicking.

Lastly, medications and medical needs should be given a full pass without question.

My thoughts on these things are that making a genuine attempt to be historically accurate is appreciated and fun, however the people who take it too far and too seriously tend to ruin the fun for others.

For example, let's say I have a rifle that's a very nearly perfect reproduction of a given style but it has machine made brass fittings which may have been common in a given region. However, the region we are participating in would have only had hand hammered black iron fittings and Mr. Over-the-top just can't let that detail go, nobody is going to have a good time.

Also, if it's snowing or rainy, I'm gonna want a tent. Not a modern tent, but something to keep me dry at least. There is no reason to be cold and wet to satisfy someone else's nitpicking.

Lastly, medications and medical needs should be given a full pass without question.
A very big YES to all of the above.
Andy

@Andy54Hawken , am I reading your OP correctly, that critter skin hats were NOT popular (or discouraged)?
Dang - and here I've been tanning a buck hide to make a hat. :oops:
That would be correct....
Daniel Boone thought them to be quote 'Uncouth"...
David Crockett , only took to wearing one after a stage play with a character , thinly disguised as him , was in it and wore one.
Andy

Do you mean this isn't OK?

Seekins-Flintlockl.jpg

Bruce

Andy, after reading that, I'm fairly certain you were definitely born in the wrong century.

ETA:

Actual picture of Andy and his muzzle loader next to his AR15 that was gifted to him.

1670803919519.jpeg

Andy, after reading that, I'm fairly certain you were definitely born in the wrong century.
Maybe so...:D
That said...while I enjoy playing a 'Mountain Man" during the weekends or for a few weeks of the year...
A fur trapper , fur trader or fur trade post hunter....had a difficult time of it for sure.
Andy

Ahhh....
I also play guitar...and doing something like this....or some blues and slide guitar ....
While not historically correct for rendezvous...would be fun...plus I could play for beer... :D
Andy

Tell all them "history Karens" that are over 50 years old that if they REALLY want to be historically correct, they'd be suffering geriatric issue and/or most likely already dead…. given the historical life expectancy back then.

Relax kids, humanity is all just a shabbily written movie.

Hmmm...
Not so sure I agree with you there Stomper......
Jim Bridger and Jim Beckwourth lived for quite awhile.
As did Daniel Boone.
All were very active in their old age.

In any event...
The motto of my museum / displays is....
Don't let history become a thing of the past.
So I do Karen...Err...I mean...I do care for history... :D
Andy

As did Daniel Boone.

Andy
I hope this isn't too off topic, but in the spirit of keeping history alive, I'll relay this story, which this thread has reminded me of. In 1846, Daniel Boone's grandson Alphonso emigrated to Oregon with several other relatives. According to the article linked below, the Boone party traveled with the Donner party until the latter separated from them to head for CA. The Boone party was one of the first to use the Applegate Trail. Alphonso established a ferry crossing of the Willamette River at Wilsonville, which was formerly known as Boone's Landing. The I-5 highway bridge there was named the Boone Bridge in memoriam. NW Oregon is full of place names stemming from the Boone family. There is Boone Rd. in Salem, Boone's Ferry Rd. in the Portland area, and Boone Island and Boone Slough in the Newport area, to name a few.

I never made the connection until I met John Boone, great grandson of Alphonso in 2015. John, who passed away 2 years ago, was a humble man of sterling character who embodied the phrase "salt of the earth." As I got to know him he told me a few stories of the Boone family's early days in Oregon. One story that I remember in particular was that the Boone party became stranded near the top of Canyon Creek Pass south of the present day town of Canyonville. Having lost their livestock, they buried their belongings, abandoned their wagons, and walked to Oregon City. There they purchased horses and returned the following year to retrieve their household goods, only to find that Indians (Native Americans?) had discovered the site, dug up their belongings, and taken everything. They returned northward empty handed.

John was an avid firearms collector and enjoyed hand loading ammunition. He was a good friend to all who knew him. We all miss him greatly.

Hmmm...
Not so sure I agree with you there Stomper......
Jim Bridger and Jim Beckwourth lived for quite awhile.
As did Daniel Boone.
All were very active in their old age.

In any event...
The motto of my museum / displays is....
Andy
Rule #1… there are always exceptions to the average generalization.

:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top