Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

HiPower vs. Witness

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Jamie6.5, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Hi all, question here.
    I have an FN HiPower in 9mm and am thinking about stepping up to a 10mm. The candidate of choice for this would most likely be the EAA Witness, due to the similarities in the two. There are definitely things I like about the Browning, and it is the most natural pointing pistol I have ever shot.
    Has anyone here ever compared the 2 in a side by side? Owned both? Similar grip? Heft? Natural pointer?
    I don't have a local shop with a Witness in stock or I would have done this already.
    The round is not in question, only the platform.
    I am looking for a little feedback before I drive 60+ miles to make the comparison.
    Thanks in advance!

2. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I have not owned both so i cant compare the two. However i have owned the witness in .45. it was a nice gun but the polymer cracked in the mag well and i had to sell it for a lot less then what i paid because there was a lot of trigger play and even with the safety on it felt like the trigger would move back far enough to fire. (never tried, just felt that way)

it was a nice gun, but the quality of it just wasn't there.

3. Jamie6.5

Thanks for the input. I take it this was a polymer frame model? If so, that model won't be in the running!
    Thanks again.
    To be honest, I'm not really expecting a 100% quality comparison, as I know the FN Browning is excellent,... Now if it was only offered in a 10!

4. Muddman

Muddman Aloha Member

I had the EAA Steel Tanfoglio Witness 45 ACP. It was very dependable and would eat any ammo fed to it, accurate also. Got a good deal on trade but I still wish I had it. I don't know about the HighPower.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. Jamie6.5

Thanks Mudd! That's the kind of stuff I need to know. After 15 years, I have the HiPower end handled. ;)

6. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I own the full size witness in 10mm(not polymer/don't care for them) It is a fantastic pistol, ergonomics and ease of shooting are really great.
    I'm a sig fan and I think this is an exceptional pistol. Perfect platform for the powerful 10mm.
    Shot the hi power before, nice but not impressed-just don't like the NINE.

7. toys

toys PDX Member

I have both. Its apples vs oranges.

if you want a 10, you may want to rethink you choice to either 40 Short and Wimpy or 45acp. theres noting wrong with the 10, but i think there are alot more 40s to choose from including ammo availability. Have you looked at 10 ammo prices? unless you want to reload, it will get expensive not to say the others arent expensive too.

i usually dont compare guns since most are individuals and have different features/pros/cons.

imo, the BHP is like holding a 2x2. again, apples and oranges. it does point nice, but so do alot of other guns. the witness (and CZs and clones) imo fit my hand to the point where its a no brainer. some people feel that JMB is GOD and his guns are the answer to mans only gun need, but i say BS. there are so many out there to choose from that unless youve tried them all, you wont know.

Do youself a favor. drive the 60 miles to play with one. make a day of it and go to the other shops. in the end it will save you some $$$. also, imo, i think you will feel that the witness fits better then you BHP.

one last note. there is a person on a different board that had/has a 10mm witness that had issues. to make it short, he supposedly spent more $$ on shipping the gun back and forth and in the end, it still didnt work. IMO, i wouldnt have. but would have get it a couple tries and had the company flip the bill. IAC, just to let you know there are some people that dont like the witness in 10mm.

8. Jamie6.5

Thanks guys, that's the meat for the table.
    I want the 10 over the .40 cuz the .40 was developed for the "short and wimpy" FBI agents that couldn't handle the recoil of the 10. .45s are okay, but the doublestack .45s I've tried haven't fit right so far. I like the 1911,... But that was JMB's also sooo,...
    You mean John Moses wasn't God? Not even a direct descendant? ;) There's an awful lot of copies of his designs as far as function goes. I believe the CZ and Tanfoglio fall into this category. You can't really fault a 100 year old design for not keeping up can you? I s'pose he'd tweak things a little if he were still around, just like those that have "borrowed" from his designs have. Metallurgy/materials and manufacturing processes are light years ahead in the last century.

Seriously, reloading isn't a problem, although availability alone (of 10mm ammo) has made me hesitate. Reloading is going to my preference if I make the jump.

Thanks also for the negatives. They count even more than the positives.

9. Armsdealer

Armsdealer Keizer, OR New Member

I have sold Witnesses and I own a Witness 10 MM in the wonder finish. I love my 10MM. Further, I have heard no issues with the many people I know who own the Witness in 10 MM. I believe it's a fantastic firearm for the price. BTW, I also own a SW 1006. The 1006 is a measure up from the Witness, but not much. The fullsize Witness holds 15 rounds of 10 MM. You have to love that! I reload and have no problem finding ammo to shoot!!

10. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Roseburg,ORYGUN Member

A friend has a Witness Elite Match in 10mm,and you could not buy it from him at any price.Same thing applies to my Elite Match in 40...

11. Jamie6.5

Thanks Kirk, that's good to hear. Is your match SA? The one's Ive seen on Gunbroker etc. have been.
    My HiPower is too. I kind of wanted to get away from that this time around.
    Jamie

12. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

after reading all the positive posts on the witness, it sounds like i got a crap one i would still make sure you avoid the polymer ones.

13. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Roseburg,ORYGUN Member

Yes,the polymer Witness pistols are "problematic"...

My girlfriend has a Wonderfinish Witness basic fullsize model (steel frame) in 45,it runs as good as my Elite,and it's a TDA...