JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wienie roasts. For when they had their lunch breaks during the war.

The SKS was developed in a time when close quarters combat included the usage of a bayonet.

Edit; If those people were being honest about what they thought it was for then I would suggest NEVER going anywhere with them and fire arms of any sort. Not even toy guns.

From Wikipedia: "A bayonet (from French baïonnette) is a knife, dagger, sword, or spike-shaped weapon designed to fit in, on, over or underneath the muzzle of a rifle, musket or similar weapon, effectively turning the gun into a spear. In this regard, it is an ancillary close-quarter combat or last-resort weapon."
Sure there might be other uses for a SKS bayonet but the intended design and purpose was sticking into your enemy in a combat situation.
Of coarse those people that say, "It's not for stabbing people!" might be trying to say "Don't play with it or you'll poke an eye out!".
Mike

We must know a different "everyone".

My Anti-Gun relatives, and some of my Dad's friends.

My Dad's friend said: "That adds a extra pound of weight, remove it, you have no use for it."

I don't know why he would say that, but when folded, the SKS bayonet stays out of the way, and my Neighbor told me: "Don't remove the bayonet! You never know when you may need it!"

I think I'll keep it on the gun for now.

Well, I added a recoil buffer, and a stock extender, so I don't need any muzzle brakes, and the SKS doesn't have that much recoil anyway. In fact, I noticed that with the bayonet attached(folded or unfolded) the gun seems to shoot a little better, I think it may be like a "Stabilizer" or something. I know that when I have the bayonet on my Mosin-Nagant, it shoots better too.

I noticed that with the bayonet attached(folded or unfolded) the gun seems to shoot a little better, I think it may be like a "Stabilizer" or something.

Mine also shoots markedly better with the bayonet extended. I heard it moves the center of balance forward a little bit, stabilizing the shot. But, who knows. The proof is on the paper.

Your gun is more accurate with the bayonet attached because the target knows if you miss, you have the ability to run down and stab it!!!!
This statement is for entertainment only. No targets were harmed by posting this.
Mike

Your gun is more accurate with the bayonet attached because the target knows if you miss, you have the ability to run down and stab it!!!!
This statement is for entertainment only. No targets were harmed by posting this.
Mike

I should wait until everyone's done, and when no one's looking, stab the center of the target. "Look! I got a bullseye!" :D

I should wait until everyone's done, and when no one's looking, stab the center of the target. "Look! I got a bullseye!" :D

One of my buddies did that when we were doing trench clearing. We were the lead team into the trench line. I had a hold of his LCE back strap so if he got hit I could pull him back. My M16 was about 6" above his head and we would throw frags aroudn the corners and pop around the corner and both engage targets inside the trench line. This is going on as the weapons squads were firing 60's and 249's over our heads to keep the trench line clear and cut down anyone trying to escape. We get to the last corner and my buddy miscounted his rounds. We pop around after a frag and he fires 1 shot at the 3 targets at the end of the trench. Click, "Oh Sh1t!!" I hear from him. I tell him I got them. Then this dip sh1t runs while I'm engaging targets and bayonets one while I put 3 rounds in the head of the target a foot away from him. He looks at me and says gives me the WTF?? look. I told him that he shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight and we both laugh. That was the first time he ever felt the air from rounds pass by close to him. Ever since then though I was the only one he trusted to have his back when doing clearing ops. Pretty damn fun training in a trench only 3 feet wide.

I don't know about the Army, I'm a Marine...trust me, we are very good with bayonets.

Click on week 3. 12 Weeks Module - Marine Corps

Around the 7:30 minute mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-9tB6IMhQ&feature=relmfu

Marine Corps Martial Arts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhxDQgbuZ3o

See the thing about bayonets is, it's like a carry gun. You may never have to use it, but if you do, you better have it on you and you better know how to use it.

Semper-Fi

I can still remember running as fast as I could with my M-16, attached with bayonet, in hand. I hit the training dummy plunging the blade all the way into him. Being a stationary dummy it did not move or fall and stopped my rifle. Now with all that momentum my body kept going and drove me into the dummy. All that energy abruptly stopped I bounced straight back almost falling to the ground myself. Lucky for me I never released my rifle or fell and continued to the next obstacle. Would have made a good 3 Stooges scene. Me, my gun and a Dummy.
Mike

I can't believe that this question has even come up! A bayonete only serves one purpose! Stabbing moles in my yard! (seriously though, I did pull this off once!!) (don't ask...) Seriously though, a bayonete serves only one purpose.... To stab people in close combat as a last resort. That's why most of them come with the nifty blood grove on them so they are easy to pull out. The army still trains with them during basic training. Some are designed to also serve as a knife, but an SKS bayo is useless once you remove it since it doesn't have a grip big enough to grab. It is for stabbing. Plain and simple. I am still just in awe that this is even a question.......

I can still remember running as fast as I could with my M-16, attached with bayonet, in hand. I hit the training dummy plunging the blade all the way into him. Being a stationary dummy it did not move or fall and stopped my rifle. Now with all that momentum my body kept going and drove me into the dummy. All that energy abruptly stopped I bounced straight back almost falling to the ground myself. Lucky for me I never released my rifle or fell and continued to the next obstacle. Would have made a good 3 Stooges scene. Me, my gun and a Dummy.
Mike

KILL!!! KILL!!! As stupid as it sounds, I had a similar experience!! First time I attacked one of those dummies, I went all out!! KILL!!! But like you said Mike, they are far from pliable! I rammed that thing into that foam rubber (or what ever the hell) dummy as hard as I could, and it went nowhere! They are VERY stationary! I damn near flew in front of my rifle. Stopped dead in my tracks with all the momentum I had built up! They should hang pigs out there!! Let us stab those!!( then after feed them to us! I'd still perfer that to an MRE!!)

I can't believe that this question has even come up! A bayonete only serves one purpose! Stabbing moles in my yard! (seriously though, I did pull this off once!!) (don't ask...) Seriously though, a bayonete serves only one purpose.... To stab people in close combat as a last resort. That's why most of them come with the nifty blood grove on them so they are easy to pull out. The army still trains with them during basic training. Some are designed to also serve as a knife, but an SKS bayo is useless once you remove it since it doesn't have a grip big enough to grab. It is for stabbing. Plain and simple. I am still just in awe that this is even a question.......

Some bayonets were designed for more then just stabbing people or as a field knife; a trowel bayonet and a bolo bayonet come to mind. I have always thought that the yataghan type sword bayonets were pretty neat and I will be getting one for my Remington Rolling Block.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top