JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
since in my backyard, checked out the Hillsboro gun show yesterday. Not too bad really for its small size. It was garand day it seems, or maybe that's all I noticed since I love them. One came home with me. And one table had like three pythons. He let me snuggle one, er, I mean hold one and check it out. And a nice S&W Model 29 .357 4" perfect finish. Had the garand not grabbed me, that would have come home with me.

So...I've not attended a gun show since the background check bill became law.

Obviously the FFL displayers at the shows are not impacted. But, what about non-FFL displayers? Are there FFL's that are handling the transfers?

WAYNO.

Obviously the FFL displayers at the shows are not impacted. But, what about non-FFL displayers? Are there FFL's that are handling the transfers?

WAYNO.
yeah, I don't know. There were a couple of private gun toters looking to sell. I had apoplexy over the $1100 Cetme so I didn't inquire about the process. I would assume on of the FFLs there would do the transfer.

WAYNO.

I've read from a number of folks here that an FFL does not have to be involved if a private transfer takes place at a gun show. You still are required to call OSP for a background check though, but no FFL involvement.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen it discussed numerous times here.

I've read from a number of folks here that an FFL does not have to be involved if a private transfer takes place at a gun show. You still are required to call OSP for a background check though, but no FFL involvement.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen it discussed numerous times here.
I can't correct you if you are already correct. I bought a nice Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm from a private table at the last ARPC show. Just like in the past, filled out the blue background check paperwork and the seller called it in. Was no big deal.

I can't correct you if you are already correct. I bought a nice Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm from a private table at the last ARPC show. Just like in the past, filled out the blue background check paperwork and the seller called it in. Was no big deal.

Thanks for confirming that.

So that raises an interesting question. If you're calling in an OSP background check for a private sale at a gun show, is there any information on the gun itself recorded with the OSP? Such as the serial number? If not, then did SB941 essentially create it's own gun show "loophole" in that their 941 registration scheme can be legally, openly, bypassed. Only the BGC is on record. Do I have that correct?

If so, it would be interesting to do what some have recommended before and hold a mini gun show, say once a month, where all the private sales could legally gather together and keep those sales off the books. I know it's not as simple as gathering together - I'm sure there are rules for putting together a show, but it would be a nice way to, in part, stick it to the man.

So that raises an interesting question. If you're calling in an OSP background check for a private sale at a gun show, is there any information on the gun itself recorded with the OSP? Such as the serial number? If not, then did SB941 essentially create it's own gun show "loophole" in that their 941 registration scheme can be legally, openly, bypassed. Only the BGC is on record. Do I have that correct?

Some gun details, including "manufacturer number", are certainly required on the transfer form. The form must be retained by the seller for 5 years. Remind the private seller to secure* the form as it contains your home address.

Legally, this information must also be available to OSP during the check. That said, I'm not certain how many gun details are actually solicited over the phone during the transfer process.

Also note the term 'manufacturer number' is technically not a serial number and could be interpreted various ways - factory number, true manufacturer number, serial number, IMEI, even product code.

Also realize a mistake in reporting those gun details (say, a myopic seller misreporting caliber) would be a violation of ORS 166.436. However, it seems unlikely such a typo would be prosecuted, assuming it was detected.

2) Prior to transferring a firearm at a gun show, a transferor who is not a gun dealer may request by telephone that the department conduct a criminal background check on the recipient and shall provide the following information to the department:
(a) The name, address and telephone number of the transferor;
(b) The make, model, caliber and manufacturer's number of the firearm being transferred;
(c) The name, date of birth, race, sex and address of the recipient;
(d) The Social Security number of the recipient if the recipient voluntarily provides that number;
(e) The address of the place where the transfer is occurring; and
(f) The type, issuer and identification number of a current piece of identification bearing a recent photograph of the recipient presented by the recipient. The identification presented by the recipient must meet the requirements of ORS 166.412 (4)(a).

Historically the form was online although it doesn't seem accessible today. A google cache link is below.

<broken link removed>

*Ideally deposit box - securing records in a gun safe might be like giving a burglar directions on where to find his next target.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top