JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am assuming these employees were security guards, but it would be interesting to hear if they weren't. Hopefully there isn't a termination policy for carrying, since it seems these guys helped to stop a bad situation from getting worse. Maybe companies should rethink their termination policies regarding carrying on the clock. I'd call it free security services, but they call it a "pending lawsuit"...

I would guess that the perp intended to hijack the helicopter with the pilot! He did approach a manned chopper at first. Be interesting if we ever get to see his motivation!

"The Port of Portland is grateful for the quick and professional response of the Hillsboro police department.

What the he!! not even a mention of the three guys that held them there till the police showed up! things could have gotten bad quick if they wouldn't have held him there.

"The Port of Portland is grateful for the quick and professional response of the Hillsboro police department.

What the he!! not even a mention of the three guys that held them there till the police showed up! things could have gotten bad quick if they wouldn't have held him there.
1. It still makes guns look bad, so they get their bonus pay.
2. Makes police look good so others believe only police should have guns. Extra bonus pay.

Over 24 hours later and no suspect identification? How is this not national news? Usually there's a description of the gun (especially if it was an "assault rifle" or "military grade pistol") within 10 minutes and a suspect ID in hours. Is HPD just hoping this will silently go away or something?

Over 24 hours later and no suspect identification? How is this not national news? Usually there's a description of the gun (especially if it was an "assault rifle" or "military grade pistol") within 10 minutes and a suspect ID in hours. Is HPD just hoping this will silently go away or something?
They might be trying to track down any cohorts on the down-low and or notify next of kin. I hear ya though

Deaf
More likely they're waiting for the fact it was chl holders who put a stop to it to die down. It will then be a small news item and they can edit out the part about the CHL. It doesn't look good for the coppers to be late for the party!!!!

Sheldon

They're not allowed to let guns look good. Each word that makes a gun look good in the article deducts from their pay. :rolleyes:

That's why there'd be less articles making them look good in mainstream media.

I watched the video in the link above, they did say that a couple people employed with the flight school who had concealed weapon permits ran out and confronted the man, there was 16 minute standoff, then he left the helicopter ran across the street, and got in an altercation with a police officer, where he was shot.

I watched the video in the link above, they did say that a couple people employed with the flight school who had concealed weapon permits ran out and confronted the man, there was 16 minute standoff, then he left the helicopter ran across the street, and got in an altercation with a police officer, where he was shot.
Well yeah, but the comment I made was in reply to the comment about most stories overlooking that.

Should be an interesting topic of discussion as more details emerge. I'm curious how it will be taken that two employees ran toward the bad guy, something typically the police would do. If one of them had shot the suspect, would they have had protection under the law since they left a place where they weren't in immediate danger and ran to the threat. Since they're not LE's, I do wonder how the law would look at that.

as far as I know, Oregon does not have a duty to retreat law. Its not illegal to confront someone attempting to steal your property and the bad guy was known to be armed.

Dunno about OR, but in WA you are allowed to use Deadly Force to stop the commission of a forcible felony upon another, IIRC.
ORS 161.219 a person is not justified in using deadly force unless the other person is committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or imminent use of physical force. (note how the two elements are intertwined...)

and we do know the guy was armed...

I could see that, but the two folks he confronted had already gotten away, so at that point, no one's life was in immediate danger. The main threat at that point was him possibly stealing a helicopter.

from what I read, the armed citizens did not pursue the bad guy. It sounds like they held him under citizens arrest, but from what I understand is the armed citizen has no lethal options to prevent a bad guy from simply walking away during such an event they could possible physically restrain him but it also sounds like he was still armed... he definitely wasn't compliant. They did the right thing by not pursuing him.

not a lawyer of course, correct me if Im wrong.

as far as I know, Oregon does not have a duty to retreat law. Its not illegal to confront someone attempting to steal your property and the bad guy was known to be armed.

ORS 161.219 a person is not justified in using deadly force unless the other person is committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or imminent use of physical force. (note how the two elements are intertwined...)

and we do know the guy was armed...

from what I read, the armed citizens did not pursue the bad guy. It sounds like they held him under citizens arrest, but from what I understand is the armed citizen has no lethal options to prevent a bad guy from simply walking away during such an event they could possible physically restrain him but it also sounds like he was still armed... he definitely wasn't compliant. They did the right thing by not pursuing him.

not a lawyer of course, correct me if Im wrong.
From what little has been reported I'd guess that the citizens handled it flawlessly lol. Sometimes it's what THEY don't say that tells the story. The fact that THEY mostly aren't mentioning those citizens tells me they probably did and excellent job and THEY don't like the way that looks in print. Never mind the truth if it doesn't fit THEIR view. Nothing new here really.

From what little has been reported I'd guess that the citizens handled it flawlessly lol. Sometimes it's what THEY don't say that tells the story. The fact that THEY mostly aren't mentioning those citizens tells me they probably did and excellent job and THEY don't like the way that looks in print. Never mind the truth if it doesn't fit THEIR view. Nothing new here really.

true.... as another example, the Huffingtonpost refused to even mention, at all, the fact that two armed citizens caught the two escaped murderers in Georgia.

Could be an issue of trying to keep the CHL holders at Aero Air under the radar, so to speak... One can never be too sure...

Please bear with me...it's been decades since I've had access to the Hillsboro field. At that time you simply needed a pass code to gain access to the hangars and aircraft operations area. Now, post 9/11, I'm thinking it must be be greatly tightened {even with daily employee's} there.

Since it is a Port of Portland operation in addition to being just an airstrip, can any anyone speak to the current level of control in place there now ?

As to the idea on keeping the CHL holders "under the radar", so to speak...

Extremely unlikely IMO. That thought in and of itself the MSM would jump in like flies on poo.

"...look at all these CHL holders flaunting & bypassing TSA all willy nilly..."

Nope. Omission is blatant agenda driven.

Well, you did read my thoughts there sort of...

My main focus is will these guys take any heat for packing in a theoretically "controlled" area. I don't see anything suggesting scope of employment, such as armed security would have. In absence of that, how doe's one get to carry on an active strip where jet aircraft operate ?

Phil Knight alone is probably having a hissy fit with the Nike twins sitting just across the field .

Last Edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong...

But you are allowed to use force if a FELONY is being committed...

Am I right? Wouldn't stealing a helicopter be a felony? Ground Control to Major Tom...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top