Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

hillock burn conditions in estacada?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by x1hunter89, Feb 5, 2013.

1. x1hunter89

x1hunter89 gresham oregon Active Member

just wondering if we can still shoot up their and what the conditions are?

2. failsafe

failsafe Oregon City Member

I went up to hillockburn early january. It was pretty busy but we setup on a short range next to some gents shooting clay. the people in the pit next to us looked like a family, and were nice enough to say hello and acknowledge our presence. Snow on the ground, not too cold though. It was pretty clean when we got there, and we left it that way. Good times, made for a solid Saturday morning.

x1hunter89 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. x1hunter89

thanks for the info

4. plumberfishes

plumberfishes Gresham oregon Active Member

i am going up hillock burn in the am sat will let you know how it looks

5. x1hunter89

or u could wait till sunday and meet us up their again lol are u taking the steel targets out again? and the gong?

6. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going up there Sunday.

7. x1hunter89

well drew ill be up their with some buddys we should have a 2 lifted jeeps a cherokee and a wrangler if you wanna stop and say hi or shoot with or next to us feel welcome to

8. drew

Cool. Will be sure to say hi if I see you guys.

9. x1hunter89

sounds good

10. plumberfishes

well was going to make the run up today,,, but the wife distracted me.. and tomorrow is booked. i'll have to wait a week... and yes i always take some steel.. i have 12 different steel targets now!

11. x1hunter89

nice man would like to meet up again ur targets where awesome last time i shot with you. We will post a report tomorrow when i get back

12. x1hunter89

conditions were not bad no snow that i saw just cold. Had a good day shooting picked up some trash/brass and called it good

13. drew

Ended up not going up there either. Might meet some time in the future.

14. mudslinging79

mudslinging79 oregn Member

how does one get to the hillock burn?

15. CatCow

CatCow Portland, OR Active Member

224 to Estacada, 211 south about 2 miles and take a left on Hillockburn Rd. North of 211 it's called Springwater Rd. Or if you want to take the scenic route, turn off at Carver and take Springwater all the way down. Hillockburn turns into NF45, and I would recommend having a map that details the forest service roads if you're going to go very far.

I haven't been up that side in probably near a decade, never really went much farther than that little lake on the side of the road. Not sure if we were still actually on the main road or not at that point. It's been a long time, and it can get confusing up there.

16. spendolla

spendolla Portland Member

Went up to Hillockburn today. Went a couple miles past the first gate. The roads were totally clear (didn't see any snow anywhere). Man, what a perfect day to be out in the woods. 60 degrees in February!

17. plumberfishes

went up yesterday, burned off a few test rounds, first log past the gate... was surprised at the lack of trash,,, did get warned my forest service to pick up our trash.... almost got head on hit from a LEO speeding down the hill... I am not sure why the run so fast this is the second time.. first time my wife was walking past the front of the truck on the side of the road, and they buzzed her scared the **** out of her.. I do not think that road has a speed limit posted but anything over 35 is probably too fast to be safe,, and they were WAY past that!

18. SG85

SG85 503 Member

I go out that way often and see LEO a lot, most are pretty nice, that is no area to be speeding like that!!

19. wizang

wizang Portland, Oregon Member

Was considering checking this area out tomorrow. Should I expect any snow right now? Where should I go from the point when Hillock turns into nf45?

20. Jabba

Jabba Oregon Member

Went up there today. A couple miles past where it turns to 45 there's enough snow to turn around a low-clearance car. right where 4520 branches off. There were a couple spots people were shooting just off the road at short ranges.