JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is that on your dog in the photo? It looks like the Thunder a jacket I use for my dog. She gets real hyper and nervous around visitors and especially strangers. Not sure why or how it works but it calms her down immediately. It is amazing.

What is that on your dog in the photo? It looks like the Thunder a jacket I use for my dog. She gets real hyper and nervous around visitors and especially strangers. Not sure why or how it works but it calms her down immediately. It is amazing.

Just a normal jacket I got online. I thought it was gonna be really cold being so high but it wasn't. Ended up taking it off like 10 minutes in.

Everyone thinks a bear is gonna get 'em! Some times I think that way too. But in the real world, I don't think that even though I could carry a 10mm, or a .44mag, or another type big gun, that I could put a bear down or fire at a enraged bear to do any good. the bear would chew me a new one, or they would find pieces of me in bear scat!!:s0112: I would like to think I'd drop him or her with a single shot to the head, but then I wake up. For me, a 35.00 investment in bear spray, is a good choice, sprays a nice big cloud, and will discourage the bear, and I live to tell the story. Even your unarmed "walkers" can carry a can. Just my opinion. Enjoy your hike!:s0155:

Everyone thinks a bear is gonna get 'em! Some times I think that way too. But in the real world, I don't think that even though I could carry a 10mm, or a .44mag, or another type big gun, that I could put a bear down or fire at a enraged bear to do any good. the bear would chew me a new one, or they would find pieces of me in bear scat!!:s0112: I would like to think I'd drop him or her with a single shot to the head, but then I wake up. For me, a 35.00 investment in bear spray, is a good choice, sprays a nice big cloud, and will discourage the bear, and I live to tell the story. Even your unarmed "walkers" can carry a can. Just my opinion. Enjoy your hike!:s0155:

You don't need to worry about wild animals. They rarely attack humans until after they have been shot by someone with a 9mm, or some other ridiculous firearm. Carry if you want, you won't need it for anything.

Did a 26 mile two day hike this summer, including a small section of the PCT. My Ruger LCR .357 was the single heaviest item I carried. I was running solo. And I did not see a single critter larger than a chipmunk, I was also pretty much alone for a good two thirds of the hike.

The challenge with backpacking is access to your firearm. I'd be interested to know how folks are carrying because I could not find an easy method while wearing my pack. And getting to my pistol required pulling the pack off....not ideal for sure.

When I was hoofing it in Alyaska my 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk was lying horizontal in the top of my Kelty, secured by the top flap of the pack and the PG was sticking out so I could grab it with my RH. Not a perfect rig by any means, I would have much rather have had a Glock 10mm but that trek was 40 years ago. We had 2 handguns, a 22 LR w/100 rounds and the 44 mag with 20 rounds. I never fired the 44 on that 30 day trip but the 22 was perfect for grouse stew!

I've hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State.

Having spent more than half a century hiking it, I'll say these things:

I've never carried a weapon on the trail. I can't imagine burdening myself with one. I've never met anyone I couldn't get along with on the trail. Since I've been hiking, (1965 or so) I've seen exactly one black bear, from the rear, as it ran away from us at top speed. I was once lost for three days, but I've never been in danger from anyone or anything else on the Pacific Crest.

It's where I learned not to be afraid.

P.S. If you have a bear problem, a handgun won't solve it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top