JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've spent a fair amount of time doing trail maintenance on the PCT through the angeles and cleveland national forests. The biggest issue we ever had was running into some cartel people either going to, or coming from a grow site, it wasn't any kind of conflict, but they saw us and bolted. Since a good chunk of the group were USFS (and in uniform) they called it in. Usually when doing trail maintenance I would carry, usually because we were stirring up all kinds of chaos that would usually piss off the local rattle snake population. Back in those days I carried my kimber 1911, with the first two rounds as snake shot, 3 rounds of hollow point, and the rest were hardball. I usually had my mossberg 500 rigged up cruiser style attached to my pack in case something came after us in camp, but never had need to pull it out except for a few times where it happened to be dove season and took some upland game for the stew pot. However, this was on USFS property, not national park.

I think if you are going to carry a long gun, a lightweight shotgun is going to be more useful than a high capacity carbine. If you're going to need to defend yourself it's going to be from critters, not zombies.

In general, I don't think you really need a long gun. I think a larger hunting caliber handgun with a short barrel is a better tool for the job.

Did a 26 mile two day hike this summer, including a small section of the PCT. My Ruger LCR .357 was the single heaviest item I carried. I was running solo. And I did not see a single critter larger than a chipmunk, I was also pretty much alone for a good two thirds of the hike.

The challenge with backpacking is access to your firearm. I'd be interested to know how folks are carrying because I could not find an easy method while wearing my pack. And getting to my pistol required pulling the pack off....not ideal for sure.

revisiting this IF I were to carry a firearm on a backpacking trip It would be something like my Bauer .25 Auto with two magazines (12 rounds) deterrent for any two legged bad guys and light enough to not break my back. If I had to go better armed I would go with my Charter Arms Undercover .38 at 16oz and maybe 2 speedloaders for a total of 15 rds.

Did a 26 mile two day hike this summer, including a small section of the PCT. My Ruger LCR .357 was the single heaviest item I carried. I was running solo. And I did not see a single critter larger than a chipmunk, I was also pretty much alone for a good two thirds of the hike.

The challenge with backpacking is access to your firearm. I'd be interested to know how folks are carrying because I could not find an easy method while wearing my pack. And getting to my pistol required pulling the pack off....not ideal for sure.

Thigh holster

I had a very large map pocket on the back of my pack, behind my neck. My revolver fit in it nicely and I placed a map section to completely hide its outline.

I'm curious for those who would carry their 2lb pistol and 4 lbs of ammo would you still cut half the handle off your toothbrush to save weight?

I did a lot of backpacking in my younger days and I don't think I ever once worried about packing heat. A good Swiss army knife sure.

Yeah, I did all that! "Paranoia strikes deep!" I know that there was nothing in the woods that would hurt me! Except humans! Did you skeletonize your aluminum pot lifter? I did, menace with a drill bit!

PS: After leaving the Army, patrolling with an M-14, a basic load + 2 mags of ammo and usually cold weather gear, etc. A handgun and 12rnds of .357 wasn't usually that big a burden! After I got lighter weapons I carried those.

I hiked some of the trail around Mt Jefferson a couple of years ago. Saw Deer and people. Back in the '70's I used to see lots of bear and elk too. Back then I carried a Savage O/U .410-.22mag. Last time I carried a .22 mag sa revolver. Time before that was a Charter Arms Bulldog .44. Next time will be a .460 Rowland or .44 mag. Just in case Sam Squatch makes a trip over from Nova Scotia.

Standard out hand gun is a Colt Trooper .357 which replaced the S&W .38 special I had. As for critters Cougars are anti-social and don't like people, bears don't like people eather. Both will leave as soon as they see you. However there is an exception, mother bear with cubs. If you should find yourself between a mother bear and her cubs you may end up as bear food. So back away from mother bear and cubs, keeping your eyes on the mother bear.

Has anyone hiked on this trail before? Planning on doing a hike with the family in the next couple weeks, just a day hike, get there early, hike to the lakes and back before dusk. Hiking newbie here.

Has anyone seen any bears or mountain lions out there? Sketchy people?

Should I be armed more than a 9mm sig, and .380 bodyguard bug? Also have an ar15 I could bring... but don't know if that's overkill or if people will call the cops on me lol.

Thoughts?

I'm going to be doing some of this trail next month, I will post a report of the area I cover.

On my pack the hip strap has enough room to put a holster under a strap. Iwb style holster works best since the straps hold it tight to the hip pad.

Weight wise I've found water is by far the easiest and hardest weight to eliminate. Carry only what you need to get from water source to water source and you can cut down on a lot of weight. I used to carry close to 80 ounces...now I carry my 32 ounce nalgene pretty Mich solely. For the stretches I need more I just fill up my water filters bag (32 ounces). And filter it when I need more water.

But its all dependant on where I am going and what I'm doing. If hiking with friends or family I usually bring more stuff cause its shorter. When its just me I plan out and bring only what I will need and use and nothing else. Which is actually an issue I have with some people's bug out bags. They pack so much crap in them that they become heavy and slow them down. Bring only what you truly need and you will be more comfortable and cover more ground.

Wow that sounds like a fun time! Only me and my brother know how to shoot, the rest of the group (4 total) would be unarmed. I will prob bring the ar just in case.

What to do if we see a bear? The nps site says:

"Close Encounters With Black Bears

Black bear attacks are extremely rare in the United States and we have no records of any occurring in Mount Rainier National Park. A bear's response to your presence depends heavily on how you respond to the bear's.

Never feed a black bear, either intentionally or by leaving food unsecured.
Do not approach bear cubs. An adult may be nearby to protect and defend the cubs.
Back away from a nearby bear, even if it appears unconcerned with your presence.
Do not run. Back away slowly. Talk loudly.
A defensive bear will appear agitated and will often give visual and vocal warnings like swatting or stomping the ground, exhaling loudly, huffing, snapping teeth, or lowering the head with ears drawn back while facing you. This response may escalate to a charge."

If Charged by a Black Bear

If the bear stops, slowly back away while talking, keeping the bear in view while leaving the area.
If it continues, act aggressively, shouting and throwing rocks or sticks.
If the bear attacks and you have food, distance yourself from the food.
If the bear attacks and you do not have food, fight back aggressively. This is likely a predatory attack, and the bear is treating you as prey.

I would pray no one unarmed has to fight a bear with rocks and sticks!

Regarding Black Bears: I was told by an experienced bear guide in Alaska, that if a black bear is coming towards, you and ignoring the noise you make, then it is in all likeliness hungry, and intent on eating you.

In all my years of hiking and camping in Oregon I have only encountered black bears twice. Both were on the PCT within about 20 miles of each other. Both times I only realized it due to snow on the ground.

The first was a set of tracks going down the PCT that stopped by my tent to take a sniff.

The second was a fresh set of tracks that I decided to follow. I made a circle of about 500 yards only to realize that the bear had doubled back and I was now being followed.

Never actually saw either bear but the stories just go to show that they are out there and generally do a lot to stay out of our way. Now I have always been conscious to keep smells down and hang food, and thus have not really had any bad encounters. So my choice of carry would be the same as in the urban environment, Sig P239 with 40 S&W. There are a lot of cool add on pockets for back packs that can be adapted for accessible carry.

I would not pack a rife since the PCT is comparably busy and you'll not really have the opportunity to target shoot. It would probably create more conflict and potential calls to the forest service.

In my couple-few years of pulling bear tags and actively going out and LOOKING for them, I've never seen a black bear in the wild. I think I've had one go crashing away from me, as I don't know of any other animal that makes that kind of racket in response to the scent of man, but never laid eyes on one.

They're big, fat, clumsy ninjas.

The Ministry of Natural Resources is advising hikers and campers to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. They advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as to warn bears that aren't expecting them. They also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also learn to recognize bear scat, to know there are bear in the area. Bear scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

Hey guys, so we went a couple days ago, it was really nice there. No crazies, just lots of families and old folks having a good time. I had my 9mm sig, and my brother had my 380 bodyguard, so I felt that we were pretty safe there. Didn't see any bears or cats though lol.

Here's a couple photos!

8jgf.JPG
oadj.jpg
81y6.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews