JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've noticed a ton of used Rugers on the market as of late. Several revolvers like the Security Six or SP101, and the obvious bricks like the P89 and P95. I do own a Ruger and I'm not a big fan, but it was my first gun and I won't sell it.

The other Ruger owners I know seem to swear by their guns until they can afford to upgrade. I'm just wondering if someone has some insight regarding the seemingly large increase in Rugers on the market.

I go the other way, for the kind of performance I want, only Ruger makes a double action that can handle it. My S&W 19 was elegant, but would come apart trying to do what my GP100 just shrugs off.
I'm tired of guns that have to be treated delicately. I no longer want a "carried often, shot little" gun. If full house loads are what I'm shooting then I want a gun that can handle as much as I care to throw at it.
Rugers fit that criteria, they're over built and they stand behind their product.
That's the same reason I'm getting an SP101 instead of a J-frame. I'll take a little extra weight if it means it will stand up to heavy use.
If Ruger made an affordable double barrel 12ga, they would cover all guns I want/need.
But that's just me.

I have been toying with selling mine (sp101). It's a great gun and is built like a tank. But the market for them is insane at the moment. For what I can sell it at in this market; I can go get a gun I really want and will use everyday, instead of just in the woods.

I've posted this before, but for anyone considering selling a Security Six in favor of a "higher quality" revolver, should think again.

Shooting Times Magazine, early in 1974 did an article (perhaps written by Skeeter Skelton, since he was their handgun editor then) that compared the Security Six against a Smith 19, and a Colt Python. All 6" barrels. Much to my surprise, and much to the chagrin of Python owners, the Security Six outshot the other two by a noticeable margin.

More recently, I took in trade a Smith stainless 6" .357 (a 686, I believe). I was certain it would outshoot my old blue Security Six. My results duplicated those found in that article from long ago. The Ruger walked on the Smith with nearly every load I tried for a 125, 140, and 158g jacketed bullet. I wanted the Smith to win, since I "knew" it was a better gun, and this is why I kept trying with different weight bullets, etc.

I've shot that Security Six now for 35 years, and I shoot it almost exclusively with full-power loads. Stories of revolvers "shooting loose" after such treatment are unknown to the Ruger. Since it is primarily a hunting gun, I have taken game up to whitetail, and anchored a caribou that needed anchoring as a result of a partner's less-than-well-placed shot with a rifle. At 80 yards, I knew with full confidence where the 158g bullet would go out of that pistol.

Another gem in the Ruger line is the Single Six: When I came home from the service, after all my guns had been stolen, that is the very first gun I bought: a stellar performer for rabbits, treed coons, and contrary to what many might think, an excellent home defense gun. It resides in my nightstand at this writing, and more than once when a "bump in the night" happens, I groggily grab it, instinctively my thumb finds the hammer without a thought and it is more ready to go than I am: a friend with six hearts.

Try the others. Trust your Ruger.

I was surprised also at the shear number of Rugers on here when I put my brick..... P95 up a few weeks ago. They are great guns, and as much as it pains me to sell, it is my wifes gun and THANKFULLY she has decided to carry. This may be the reason for the current glut of large rugers. Great gun or not they are big, heavy hunks of metal.

Ruger makes a very reliable entry level firearm when it comes to handguns. Rugged and not exspensive plus they shoot well. They are the working mans gun. I wish they had a better finish but then the price would go way up.

jj

I have several Ruger's. GP100, SP101, Single action 6. The first two are built like tanks, and the Single has yet to get out of timing after 30 years; and still accurate.

They are tuff and durable. Having said that, Smith and Wesson's Model 27 is another that I have and seems to be just as tuff as the GP 100. It has a massive frame. My Smith and Wesson model 60-a 3" in 357 is a jewel. Good for occassional full power 357's and just perfect for 38 plus p. Light as a feather.

The SP 101 i 3" , in my opinion, is one perfect trail gun with the exception of packing in to dense grizzly country.

I'm just wondering if someone has some insight regarding the seemingly large increase in Rugers on the market.

The person with this insight might be able to explain why they are all in Oregon? I am in the market for a snubby 101 but our Govenor, 'Buzz Kilington'
Gregoire is collecting tax on used guns transferred into the state. Screw that!

So if anybody knows of one in WA (I am so wanting to move back) for under the $450.00 mark I would apperciate it if they would FWD me the contact.

SF-

I've got a Single Six I just put up for sale.

I bought the gun because it was a great deal plus I'd always kinda wanted one. I had it for a while and finally shot it yesterday. Shot both 22 mag and 22 long rifle.

It just isn't my "cup of tea" so I put it up for sale.

I loved my Ruger brick:s0114: I sold it about 5 years ago and still kick myself for it. Like stated they shoot anything and perform great for there price. Am still looking for another one but can not find the right one.

the only reason i am selling my ruger 45 colt is because i got a great deal on a winchester 94ae in 45 colt so i have a repeter that can handle the heavy loads
now if it was double action on the handgun i would not sell it at all and hand it down when i pass but hey thats just me

So it seems like my original statement isn't too far off. Several of you have said you are or did sell your Ruger because it was inexpensive when you bought it and now you can get something you want more. I didn't say they were bad guns, but instead said that I've never been a big fan.

So how many of you, who have sold your Ruger to upgrade to something nicer, would buy that same Ruger again at a normal price (not a crazy deal)?

I've bought and sold Rugers and have given them as gifts. When I "replace" one, it's a Ruger. The last one gifted was my personal hunting rifle, a blued 30-06. It got replaced with the same gun, only stainless.
Many of the ones I've had I'd not want to buy back, but that has nothing to do with who made them. I've owned several Ruger single action revolvers. I have one I'll keep. While I just love the look of single action revolvers, I find myself bored with them quickly. After I play with it, it's sold. I just did that with the Single Six.

I agree with the earlier statement about liking their revolvers over their autos. Their autos feel 'clunky' to me, their reliable and affordable, but akward feeling for me. The newer .45 acp (345?) and the SR series in 9m and .40s&w look pretty ergonomic. But I don't like manual safties on handguns. I have no use for the LCP, I'm sure it's great.
I do like their DS and SA revolvers, not as elegant as a pinned and recessed S&W. I'll take function over form for any serious tool every time.

There are just tons of Rugers out there to be sold partially because they are relatively inexpensive to buy new and partially because they are just good guns. You are going to see a lot more Ford Taurus' for sale than you will see say... Lamborghini LM002's. It's just sheer numbers. This is the same reason you may hear bad things about Kimber 1911's (I'm unbiased, I don't own one.) It's not necessarily that they make bad guns, they just make a crap ton more than some competitors so statistically there will be more failures. Sorry, slightly off topic. ;)

There are just tons of Rugers out there to be sold partially because they are relatively inexpensive to buy new and partially because they are just good guns. You are going to see a lot more Ford Taurus' for sale than you will see say... Lamborghini LM002's. It's just sheer numbers. This is the same reason you may hear bad things about Kimber 1911's (I'm unbiased, I don't own one.) It's not necessarily that they make bad guns, they just make a crap ton more than some competitors so statistically there will be more failures. Sorry, slightly off topic. ;)

I can understand that concept. More on the market means more on the market. Anyone have any idea how many Glocks or Berettas or Smiths are out there versus Rugers?

I got my first Ruger "brick" recently from a forum member, and this P90T is exactly what I wanted: cheap and rugged. I put a 14# spring in it, and now it's my "+P90T" dedicated to .45ACP hot loads. All that weight is an asset with those +P FMJ's, and not much of a liability for woods carry either. I'll be sad if I crack the frame, but I won't bawl like I would if it was my G21SF.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top