Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

High mileage rigs.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by powermad, May 5, 2014.

1. powermad

powermad Portland Active Member

2007 Volvo, Cummins ISX powered. Still running strong and hasn't been opened up yet.
    IMG_20140505_135732_592_zpsg8m0mqxv.jpg

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OTR truck? We have Dump trucks that run 105,500 GVW with their trailers that do a couple thousand miles off road each year that have been on the job since 91 now showing 550,000 plus on the clock and I assure you the life of a Construction Dump truck which can range from a day of 75 loads moving 3 blocks on rough and even muddy ground to days that run 500 miles at 105,500 hauling material both ways on the highway. Is a lot harder then running down the freeway or some state hwy.

3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Our 2002 Newmar Dutch Star has an ISC uprated to 435/1200 ft lbs and that's conservative. Right now we only have 38,000 miles on it.
    Gotta get out more!! Problem is my wifes pay just got cut 95% and what is left doesn't even pay our medical insurance.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

4. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

That engine will be around long after the coach has rotted away lol!

5. powermad

FED EX OTR rig, they have another that's Volvo powered with 1.8 million on it.
    They as in the owner of that fleet that does Fed Ex. There are several fleets that we do.
    Monday is Fed Ex day so we see a bunch. All of them rack up miles like that real fast.
    I work for Mack and Volvo. Seen more than a couple dump trucks as well but they never get up that high.

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

My little Mazda pickup has 250k (I bought it new). One clutch and a timing belt.. yadda nothing abnormal. Changed the oil on it today (myself), matter of fact.

7. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

And I thought I had a high mileage rig with 250k on the wife's '99 Tahoe.

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

1990 Jeep Cherokee, I'm at 280K on the clock now, I think the cat may be plugged, I'm going to throw a new one on in a few weeks, I should be good past 400K, that's typical for these vehicles before major overhaul. Still gets 20+MPG on the highway. Trying to keep the oil changes regular at every 4000 miles or when it starts getting too dirty. Also have a set of fresh injectors I havn't had time to put on it, which may bring highway mileage up past 25.

9. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I daresay that most (a lot?) of the high mileage "rigs" come from these lands as no salt is used upon the roads. Over in the salt lands, an engine (not a "rig") might last for a billion miles but the carriage/body will no longer exist past ten years pretty much.

10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My old 80 Chev G20 van had over 500,000 miles on it before I sold it.
    I replaced the motor twice, the tranny once and a bunch of brake jobs, but it was still going strong when it left my driveway.

11. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

This is why I aggressively repaint every scratch, and excessively apply phosphate. I also have a water-wash station that hoses down the undercarriage of the vehicle when I pull into the driveway. Good or bad, they don't use too much salt in washington, and though I spend too much time in california, road salt is unheard of down there.

Last time I was driving through oregon, they were dumping some kind of redish rock stuff all over the roads, it looked like pumice. Still, it was time for a hot water compression wash afterwards.

12. powermad

Yes these rigs have the I5 corridor route. Canada to Mexico.
    I see plenty of rigs that trek back east and they are thrashed after a few years. Working on them is a real hassle. Crazy to hit a frame rail and a sheet of rusted metal that only held together by paint just falls off.

13. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

My 2000 Subaru Outback now has 320,000 miles with original motor and trans.
    Took this pic when it turned over 3ooK.

Subaru 300,000 006.jpg

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  14. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

my co workers 2000 outback has 290k on it. original engine and trans. subarus are great except when they live in the midwest where all the salt is. as a dealership technician it is a nightmare trying to do ANY work under the car if it has been heavily exposed to salted roads.

15. Rocky C

Rocky C Portland Metro Active Member

My work truck is 99 GMC Sonoma with 355,000.

Had to have it towed in last week though....

16. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Work rig is a 2003 International 4300 with the DT466 (not the 466E) that has 381700 miles on it. It's had a couple gear boxes, annual king pins (though last year we finally went with metal bushings and there's been no issues since). Did a radiator/trans cooler years back, AC has needed worked on. The odd sensor here and there. Injection pump done once about 100k ago.

We got the truck used from Illinois with 70k on it. If we keep up with the odd little crap here and there, it'll last at least another 400k - at least the motor will. I need a new driver seat - the fabric cover is torn up and smells of almost 400,000 miles of farts. Febreeze doesn't really do much on the seat anymore :rolleyes:

Compared to a lot of other Internationals of the same vintage in our industry it's done well.

17. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I have a 97 Toyota T-100, original 3.4L V6 and transmission (5 speed) with 514k. Still get 18 mpg on the highway.

Edit: Anyone done a diesel swap on a toyota? I'm starting to do research and considering it.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Rocky C and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  18. powermad

Roadway is bringing in some of their million milers for an inframe overhaul.
    I just wrapped up the first of 17 so far.
    Just have a little crack in the block to fix and it'll be back on the road.

Through the oil pan rail
    IMG_20140527_093156_833_zps64u0hpwd.jpg

And up the side.
    IMG_20140527_093104_675_zpsxkscril7.jpg

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I had a beat t100 and I called it the nicest running POS there ever was.The motor was like the Lexus commercials and the rest of the truck was like you would expect from an off road ,jumped truck.
    Kid in Moscow ID bought it from me
    There are diesel conversion kits for all kinds of vehicles out there now.They use the VW engines and the MB engines.The Cummins 4BT is still a little heavy for a t100 but I guess it could be done
    Some kid on a Toyota 4x sight asked about a 6bt in his toy truck.Some were responding about springs,lol
    I was wondering what all would be twisted when the wheels got stuck,cause the running gear wouldn't stop the engine from turning lol
    Oh and my Cummins is almost broke in with 205k on it.Second tranny though