JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never met anyone who specifically hates Hi-Powers. I have met people who look down their nose at anything "old" that is hammer fired and has wood furniture. Many of these people specialize in shooting as fast as possible at the closest possible target while missing as many shots as possible.

So if that one was bigger it would be less likely to move?
:confused:
Yes, because it would replace the one which is not just too small, but apparently broken as well. Unless the new one came flawed from the factory of course. Then he would want to use airplane glue and some toothpicks.

Yes, because it would replace the one which is not just too small, but apparently broken as well. Unless the new one came flawed from the factory of course. Then he would want to use airplane glue and some toothpicks.
So you actually recommend airplane glue and toothpicks, I think I will pass on that suggestion.

I don't think there's a love/hate dichotomy at all. There are those who love them and those who are very neutral or just uninterested without disliking. And there are those who just hate everything because daddy didn't hug them and they're bitter about their unresolved Oedipus complex

And what would that be?
Profound cleanliness ansd ascent to the next plane of exisitence.

Obviously I am, and have been, joking.

You should never use airplane glue or toothpicks as structural components on a BHP.

Though I believe they are original equipment in several Taurus models.

I don't think there's a love/hate dichotomy at all. There are those who love them and those who are very neutral or just uninterested without disliking. And there are those who just hate everything because daddy didn't hug them and they're bitter about their unresolved Oedipus complex
I have received some very strong dislike, from some odd quarters. Multiple negative comparisons to worse than Keltec or Taurus reliability, which seemed truly odd. Some from the 1911 shooters, some from the tacticool operator crowd. Some from former army and Marines. Now one of those mentioned they had used some truly archaic ones and were unimpressed, when working with some folks overseas. I can see a 50 year old poorly cared for anything failing.

I was wondering if I was unaware of a flaw. I gravitate towards wood and steel for guns. And if not steel frames, metal frames. In person, I probably look like I would be a polymer guy.

This thread got me to thinking about why I like the Browning High-Power so much. Honestly I think it has more to do with nostalgia than anything else. That's probably why I've never removed the magazine disconnect on either of mine. I really don't shoot them enough to worry about it. I have other full-size 9mm handguns that I prefer on a practical level.

As with any gun that's been made in numerous factories all over the world for the better part of a century, there's going to be good ones and bad ones, but the design itself is well proven.

In truth, the 1907 Savage was the first double stack (10 round .32 ACP, 9 round 380) - but all that seems forgotten these days. It also was first to offer reversed slide rails (slide runs inside frame), long before the Sig P210 or CZ75. And if you have a Savage .45 ACP for cheap, I'll buy it.

Often it seems that firearms can't be taken on their own merit , by some folks.
It has to be a : "Which is better" or some sort of versus kinda thing , with many of these same folks.

Or maybe its the mindset of a lot firearm owners these days....
Seems like hardly anyone just has a firearm , simply 'cause they like it...or go shooting , just 'cause its fun to do,
Everything needs to be dedicated to a certain purpose...
And your shooting practice needs to be up to some sort of quasi military / law enforcement standard.

Many times its just 'cause its an "old" firearm...and therefore it ain't no good anymore.
That said...a pistol that came out around 1935 ain't that old compared to what I normally shoot....:D
In any event...Just 'cause something is old or older...ain't no reason to say it ain't no good for its intended purposes or even a current use / purpose.
It just means its older...and like any firearm will have its limitations.
And also like any firearm its best used within your limitations with it.

Andy

In truth, the 1907 Savage was the first double stack (10 round .32 ACP, 9 round 380) - but all that seems forgotten these days. It also was first to offer reversed slide rails (slide runs inside frame), long before the Sig P210 or CZ75. And if you have a Savage .45 ACP for cheap, I'll buy it.
That reminds me, I really need to take the old Savage 1907 out and shoot it once in a while. I had one when I was young that shot like a laser, but foolishly sold it. A few years back I found another and bought it. It's not as accurate.

Often it seems that firearms can't be taken on their own merit , by some folks.
It has to be a : "Which is better" or some sort of versus kinda thing , with many of these same folks.
A lot of that is human nature, I believe:
"I drive a Chevy, Fords are junk!"
"I'm a Beaver fan, hate those Ducks!"
:D
I suppose we all do that kind of thing once in a while.

That reminds me, I really need to take the old Savage 1907 out and shoot it once in a while. I had one when I was young that shot like a laser, but foolishly sold it. A few years back I found another and bought it. It's not as accurate.

Yeabut...I'm right and you are wrong.... :D
just kidding here...
Andy

1907 savage is on my list of eventual wants. FTR, as far as I know firearmswise that is 4 items long.

1907 savage is on my list of eventual wants. FTR, as far as I know firearmswise that is 4 items long.
Had to look that one up. That's a cool looking gun. I like the old savages. Kind of want a savage north navy revolver because they are so different.

ECE47AF6-4411-44C0-A7D8-2427E0F0942D.jpeg

Wow, that is interesting and I haven't seen it that I recall. Is it bad, I kind of want to see diagrams of the mechanism. I love the weird aesthetic that that era of engineering had.
It ain't bad...just a way different feel than the more common Colt or Remington revolvers of the period..
The lower trigger / ring cocks the hammer and rotates the cylinder...it works...just werid.
Andy

Wow, that is interesting and I haven't seen it that I recall. Is it bad, I kind of want to see diagrams of the mechanism. I love the weird aesthetic that that era of engineering had.
Ian has a good description of the mechanics here FYI. The cylinder action and toggle link is unique. Makes me wonder if someone could make a semi auto revolver using a toggle link and moving cylinder like that if there were a better gas seal. Probably would be too finicky though to be reliable.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top