JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I learned to shoot on a 1972 Hi-Power and my Grandpa was a huge fan, and shooting them is a bit of a connection with him and I can almost hear him say, "Don't jerk the trigger, son, squeeze it like a lemon." & "there, like a lemon"I never figured out how it was squeezing like a lemon as my juicing of lemons was violent and involves cutting them in half and then using presses. Something that my young mind could not figure out how it related to shooting. In fact, I never got any of the lemon analogies. But he was an absolutely awesome grandpa, and the one who introduced me to guns, hiking, nature, etc.

But I digress.

needless to say, the hi power has intensely deep memories for me. Especially since I own my Grandpa's old hi power. When I take it out it is a deeply personal family heirloom. It is something I do not do often.

I shoot hi powers extremely well and that does not surprise me. I have shot them on and off for over 30 years. (I was first allowed to shoot it when I was 9)

But I hear a lot of hate for them and I get that they are more mechanically complex, than say a glock, but I do not actually understand what it is about. I know the magazine safety issue can worsen trigger pull, but mine is still very nice overall. (And has the magazine safety) So I guess the point of this rambling is what makes the Hi power to be viewed by some as a subpar gun. (And I have heard that from some old military guys) I get that 13 or 15 rounds and a steel frame is not everyone's cup of tea, but is there more to it than that. Is it a feel thing? I would by far and again, without the memories, rank it as one of the nicest guns I ever held.

My grandpa I know had trigger work and polishing done on it, so it may just be that I grew up with a perfect example. I just want to understand people's thoughts.

It's clunky looking compared to the 1911. However it has withstood the test of time (tip of the hat to JMB). As a young armorer surrounded by M2's, M85's,, M240's, M60's, M16's, M203's, grease guns and 1911's, when I first saw one I couldn't quite grasp why it was called the Hi-Power, being chambered in 9mm. But that was just my one dimensional age related thinking out loud. Can't say that I'm much more refined in my thought process today (Haa-Haa... nice Glonk!) but it's taken me this long to sort of appreciate the quality aspects of the Hi-Power. So much so to the point where I was recently going to buy an SA-35 until two Jericho 941 FB's sucked up my spare Cuban cigar cash. So you know, priorities. Wait a second, what were we talking about?

IMG_20220715_142200.jpg

It's clunky looking compared to the 1911. However it has withstood the test of time (tip of the hat to JMB). As a young armorer surrounded by M2's, M85's,, M240's, M60's, M16's, M203's, grease guns and 1911's, when I first saw one I couldn't quite grasp why it was called the Hi-Power, being chambered in 9mm. But that was just my one dimensional age related thinking out loud. Can't say that I'm much more refined in my thought process today (Haa-Haa... nice Glonk!) but it's taken me this long to sort of appreciate the quality aspects of the Hi-Power. So much so to the point where I was recently going to buy an SA-35 until two Jericho 941 FB's sucked up my spare Cuban cigar cash. So you know, priorities. Wait a second, what were we talking about?
I really like Jerichos as well.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes most often depending on what they're comfortable with and used to. I like Hi-Powers too, have a couple of them- an old Inglis and an FM licensed copy. Neither of mine are terribly accurate, but I still like them.

Random thoughts on the subject. Some haters don't like anything 9mm (yes, I realize there is a .40) There was a time when people just picked up a pistol and fired it, they didn't waste a lot of angst on how the trigger compared to other guns, does the magazine safety detract from trigger operation, how can we reinvent the wheel, etc. There was also a time when there weren't so many other 9mm pistol designs to compare it to, giving people more favorites to cleave to beyond the Hi-Power.

My first experience of owning a Hi-Power was a late WW2 German-made version, no doubt made during an era when time was of the essence. Mine was military grade, basic finish, hard brown plastic grips. At the time, I was collecting lots of German pistols, many 9mm so I had a basis for comparison. Let me just say that my marksmanship was much better with the German Hi-Power than with any of the many Walter P.38's, Luger P.08's or Radom VIS guns that I owned.

Decades later, I owned a nice Browning-made Hi-Power, I think it was vintage 1969. I didn't love it so much, but by then I'd owned dozens more different handguns that I liked better. Guns that were designed / made long after the Hi-Power, mostly. Still, it was a nice gun.

One the attributes of the Hi-Power that I appreciate is the grip size /design that results from the higher capacity magazine. I have large hands, the grip feels right for me.

I have a pair of Browning Hi-Powers One in 9mm and another in .40. For me, they point in naturally, like they were designed for my hand. They are both accurate and comfortable to carry on my hip all day. I think it's a great design.

"Squeeze my lemon , till the juice runs down my leg."...Err....Wait...wrong forum. :D

These guys sang that :
rock and roll GIF

In any event...
I have never owned a Browning Hi-Power...but shot quite a few.
I like 'em...they all seemed to work and work well.
Not sure why some folks don't like 'em....

I have no doubt folks wonder why I like the firearms that I enjoy...
Andy

I see the HP as a number of firsts, the first "High Cap" semi auto when such a thing was rare and unique, sometimes quirky, often unreliable, and second, it's caliber, which was used to create such a possibility in a time when such a thing was rare/unheard of! Finally, I see the HP as not only an extension of all things JMB ( Even through he had almost nothing to do with it's design) in that it was a finally crafted piece, reliable, and accurate at a time when a combo of those things were not always possible!

As to the Hate, One could say the "old School" 1911 guys who were used to their single action fighting pistol perfection made BY JMB was ( and remains) the ONLY semi auto worthy of consideration, Period! And While I don't own a HP, or even desire to own one, I can understand some of the love and hate for them!
I think the hate comes from the Caliber as well as the Mag safety, something I don't really care about, but understand it's limits, the mag safety would be an issue for me, but thankfully can be corrected! I'm a Hard Core 1911 guy myself, I love everything about them, from the history on through their accuracy and reliability and perfect ergonomics, BUT, I don't see them as the Be All-End All of pistols, nor do I shoot them exclusively, the world is just too big to limit ones self to just one pistol or type of pistol! Some would even say, revolvers are hand gun perfection, and I would not disagree ( depending on the revolver in question) so there are many opinions of what makes something perfect, and why such a loyal following! Before JMB, there was Col. Sam Colt, the man who perfected the Revolver, ( One could argue S&W, or Schofield, or,......) did it better, or the Colt Snakes are THE perfect design, even though they came long after the good Col. was gone, but the point is, brand loyalty is a thing here, and with most things created by the Zen Master Gun Designer hiself, highly desirable on name and reputation alone!

Last Edited:
I am clouded on my perspective and may own a slightly customized & tuned example. I just wasn't sure why I met such vehemence from some folks. I am personally rather ambivalent to glocks. I recognize they are a good gun, but do not fit my preferences. I would actually advise some folks to get a glock or at least try one even though, personally, not my thing.

I was wondering if I was missing something, because frankly, I associate them with happy times and wonderful family members. I know that can cloud judgment and I know I have biases. I like a 1911, and frankly, all of my cousins know of John Moses Browning (several will role their eyes at the mention of his name) as my grandfather was a huge fan. (He had a picture of him on the reloading bench at one point) And strangely, many of my personal favorite guns are old Browning designs.

I would be interested in knowing the unreliabilities.

Love? Qualified maybe. Hate? No.

I don't own one. To the best of my recollection, I never have. However, my father did for many years, and I shot various Hi-Powers over the years, including those from FN and the Argentinian derivatives. I can't think of a single negative issue with the line of pistols. My memory is hazy, but a HP may have been the first time I handled a stocked pistol, which is a fascination that lingers on to this day. (It could have been a Mauser C/96 too, but I'm pretty sure it was the FN.)

True enough, there isn't much the HP does that a plethora of other similar pistols do just as well or better. Put another way, there weren't a lot of good options for a full-size, 9㎜, higher-capacity pistol in 1935; there are many circa Q3 2022. But does it make the pistol obsolete? No, I don't think so. Obsolescent may be a better choice. However, a reasonably accurate, 14 (or 21) shot automatic, with a decent trigger, and loaded with quality ammunition, is still a viable tool to defend one's home or place of business. My first choice? No, but it isn't a bad one either.

Anywho, just some random thoughts.

P.S. My comments were on the originals. I have no idea if that holds true for some near clones or the one recently debuted.

I owned a MK II and it shot well. That is until I bought a Beretta 92FS. I sold the Browning HP and never looked back.

Just my opinion.

Love? Qualified maybe. Hate? No.

I don't own one. To the best of my recollection, I never have. However, my father did for many years, and I shot various Hi-Powers over the years, including those from FN and the Argentinian derivatives. I can't think of a single negative issue with the line of pistols. My memory is hazy, but a HP may have been the first time I handled a stocked pistol, which is a fascination that lingers on to this day. (It could have been a Mauser C/96 too, but I'm pretty sure it was the FN.)

True enough, there isn't much the HP does that a plethora of other similar pistols do just as well or better. Put another way, there weren't a lot of good options for a full-size, 9㎜, higher-capacity pistol in 1935; there are many circa Q3 2022. But does it make the pistol obsolete? No, I don't think so. Obsolescent may be a better choice. However, a reasonably accurate, 14 (or 21) shot automatic, with a decent trigger, and loaded with quality ammunition, is still a viable tool to defend one's home or place of business. My first choice? No, but it isn't a bad one either.

Anywho, just some random thoughts.

P.S. My comments were on the originals. I have no idea if that holds true for some near clones or the one recently debuted.
Most of my choices are notthe newest. And trust me, a family heirloom is not going to be a daily carry. But the reactions I have seen on the times it came out left me scratching my head. If I absolutely had to be 100% sure my life would be in the balance, I would take the hi power. I shoot it the best. But a ding or scratch would worry me on a normal basis, but when I have taken it to the range, reactions are invariably vague statements about how they suck.

Like I said, my grandfather bought it 50 years ago and he carried it daily. I know he was no fool with guns. He bought good stuff. But I was starting to wonder if there was a flaw or cause for concern.

For home defense I have choices. The hi power would not be a first choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top