JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine is considering buying a Hi-Point 9mm, and asked what I thought about them. Since I know nothing about them, I couldn't give him an answer. They are really cheap; so are they junk????

For the price you cannot go wrong with a Hi-Point product.

They may be ugly, but they go BANG every time, and are reasonably accurate.

The Hi-Point warrantee is one of the best in the business as well.

DON'T equate the INEXPENSIVE price with CHEAP. They are two different things.

I don't think your friend would be disappointed. They are fun, inexpensive guns that WORK. They are certainly not junk. (I know this from experience with MANY of them)

I have 2 Hi-Points, the C9 9mm handgun and the 995TS 9mm carbine. Both have been great. Haven't had any problems with them. I don't consider them junk. Really enjoy mine.

Oh, boy. This is a can of worms. Everyone I've talked to that has OWNED a High Point liked them. A lot of people who spent a lot more money on a hand gun but NEVER OWNED ONE call them junk... Some likes them, some don't. For the money, though, I've often thought of getting one for just having one....

I owned their 380 version up until recently. I only sold it because I was phasing out that caliber and wanted to score a 9mm version.

Can't say really anything bad about them, my friend just bought the .45 carbine a few weeks ago and loves it. No problems whatsoever.

I like them and I will be getting a 9mm pistol soon, would get the carbine too but the lack of hi-cap mags make getting a sub2k more appealing.

I had a c9 pistol and a 995 carbine.
Both are good guns, I'd still have them if they accepted the same mags (like the Ruger PC9 and P95) ...
Inexpensive does not always equal cheap!

I've got a 995? carbine in 9mm. I cobbled a scope mount onto it, along with a cheap scope that I wouldn't have on a bb gun. I took it out last weekend & had WAY too much fun with it. with 115gr fmj's, the dang thing shot, & shot, & shot. not one jam period. would I bet my life on it? maybe, maybe not. but you could do a heck of a lot worse, for the money. my $.02

Whether or not it's a good choice depends on the intended purpose. They are indeed for the most part accurate and reliable. If your friend wants something to shoot at the range, it's a great gun for that purpose for not a lot of money. It may do okay as a home defense gun as well. As a carry gun, it's a pretty bad choice. First off, I don't know that it's all that safe to carry a striker-fired single action gun with a loaded chamber. But even if you are fine with (or even prefer) an empty chamber, the gun is way too bulky given its caliber and capacity; that is there are many lighter, smaller options with larger ammo capacities and/or calibers than the Hi Point 9mm. I guess, Hi-Point was able to come up with a gun that's able to offer reliability and accuracy, all at low cost, but sacrificing some practicality/versatility.

no matter what forum you ask this question, you are going to get split votes. just get one if you are really interested. Like it's been said, they're cheap. if you like it great! if not, oh well, you're only out like 150.00.

:yes:

Oh, boy. This is a can of worms. Everyone I've talked to that has OWNED a High Point liked them. A lot of people who spent a lot more money on a hand gun but NEVER OWNED ONE call them junk... Some likes them, some don't. For the money, though, I've often thought of getting one for just having one....
Okay, well now you won't be able to say that...

I had a Hi-Point 45.
Reliable?
Yes.
Accurate?
Yes. It's a fixed barrel blow-back operated gun. Of course it's fairly accurate.
Boat anchor heavy?
Yes.
Does the mag fall out if the gun receives a shock?
Yes.
Low maintainability?
Yes.
Better than nothing?
Usually.
Decent for an under the seat gun that you won't be heartbroken if it gets stolen when your car is broken in to?
Yes.
Dangerous as all **** because the only securing the rear of the slide down is a tiny stud secured by a roll pin & if the tiny stud ever breaks & the slide cocks up a tiny bit when & if it does, the cocked SA-only FP will release & go select-fire unexpectedly on you without you even touching the trigger?
Yes.

Do yourself a favor & if you're too cheap to buy quality american firearms, get a 9x18 eastern bloc pistol.

P-64s go for less than $200. They're sexy little Walther PPK clones with more power than a PPK & more accurate.
Swap the heavy mainspring out to an 18lb spring for an easier DA trigger pull, then you have a reliable, easily concealable, extremely accurate SAFE DA/SA pistol with a loaded chamber indicator, safety de-cocker, & if you run out of 9mm Makarov, it can also shoot 9mm kurz.

Ugly, heavy, cheap clubs. Pauly is right, the little Eastern pistols are nearly as inexpensive and a considerably better use of your dollars. The P64 and CZ83 are both excellent choices and are easily concealable, unlike the Hi-Point garbage.

Why not buy one then post here how everyone else in the world is wrong and Hi-point is the Rolls Royce of firearms. They sell a set of "beams" for them too. I stopped in a pawn shop in Georgia last year and the brother's were all buying the Hi-Point "wit da beams". After they left I asked the counter guy and he meant. He said, adding a 20 dollar laser means you could up the price a hundred bucks cause the locals thought that guaranteed the shot.

A friend of mine is considering buying a Hi-Point 9mm, and asked what I thought about them. Since I know nothing about them, I couldn't give him an answer. They are really cheap; so are they junk????

Hi-Point is a reliable weapon, although your friend will need to break it in with a couple to few boxes of ammo. Then if it doesn't work correctly simply return it to the factory for a full warranty repair. As a gun dealer I sell every 9mm Hi-Point I can get and truthfully--I have had more complaints about S&W than Hi-Point, Jimenez, Cobra, & Phoenix Arms combined!

I've owned zinc pocket pistols.. after about 500 rds they tend to become useless paperweights

imagesqtbnANd9GcR6FI_03k0T_g4N7fZzPgHOrOLYTEI27BLP-JTwXw-ULjTkLSvq.jpg

If that pin becomes loose due to the steel roll pin slipping out of the polymer hole it sits in that will wear if one actually cleans their pistols often, or if the thinnest parts of it where the roll pin slides through fracture letting that pin raise up a couple millimeters, I kid you not, the thing will go select fire on you & rack off a couple rounds.

I was able to enjoy the warm & toasty feeling of powder burn down my left forearm when this happened to me & I still thank the Lord that I didn't send those 2 .45 caliber rounds down my forearm lengthwise, which almost happened.

If you appendix carry & that happens, it'll change your gender.

The design is cheap & dangerous, thus useless.
How much is not shooting your granolas off worth to you?
I'd gladly pay $50.00 more to keep my jewels.

As for being tough?

imagesqtbnANd9GcQNDl-hQDBEml67E2lXeeFg-n_i_X0GsItccWfUs4U0xN_7W38o.jpg
HiPoint04.jpg HiPoint02.jpg

People just do yourselves a favor & save up a tiny bit more & get a 9x18 or even a little bit more than that, go to Kieth's & pick up a PPD Glock.

That's what I did the day after I almost blew my arm off & almost dhot the dog due to the POS.
Guns's ain't toy.
All a highpoint pistol is good for is painting gold & pointing it at cameras while holding it sideways.

I understand that those who don't know, don't know they don't know, but now you know.
If you get a highpoint, you have nobody to blame but yourselves .
They're dangerous.
Avoid them & people who carry them.

As we grow, we find that the tools we carry every day & bet our lives on are NOT the place to try to cut money from our budget.
That being said, Sig all the way.
It's nice to have a better sidearm than the LEO when he pulls you over. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews