JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well you got me interested in a Hi-Point by reading your thread so I had to make a deal on one. Ive never owned one so decided what the heck might as well see what all the fuss is/isnt about. :)

I have one. my dad have one. we've never had problems with it...and i'm a lurker over at the old Hi Point firearms forum..was more active there before it got bought out....over there, there's been ONLY a few pictures of severely damaged Hi Points..one fairly recent KB with a bad round; and the only thing damaged was the grip frame and parts of the chamber...he got a replacement free of charge promptly...actually a replacement is a bit of a misnomer, they basically DESTROYED the original and BUILT a new one with the SAME serial; that way its basically a repaired firearm. there was a pic of one that looked much worse, BUT consensus among the gunsmiths there who also work on Glocks, Colts, Kimbers, LMTs and the like; said looked suspiciously as if it was sawn on purpose.....had a 995 carbine a while back..we traded it with a New England 12ga single shot for a Mossberg shotgun straight up....

EDIT: yes its ugly. but it just means I dont have to worry as much about finish or mods or whatever...and its dead nuts reliable so far, being a simple blowback operation unlike the locked breech safe queens

It seems like the only people who like Highpoints are the ones who own them (I don't and can't comment from experience.) If you can't afford something better and don't care if it's fugly maybe that's your answer.

There's some reasons not to like hi point.

Ugly. Heavy.

But they are reliable and accurate.

my theory is if they were expensive and foreign made people would
be tripping all over themselves to save up and buy one.

That ugliness would suddenly be called "distinctive styling"

I have shot the hi point 9mm pistol and the 45 carbine . I loved the carbine but found a cx4 storm for $550 and went with that. As far as the pistol goes i did not like much about it more recoil then most pistols i have fired. At around $150 bucks how can you go wrong lol P.S. I have never owned one,

Come on people! Stop bashing the high-point all over the freaking place! They are good guns for what they are designed to do. I have a 9mm Hi-Point 995 "Classic" carbine, and it has never given me a single problem PERIOD. Out of the 300 or so rounds I have fired, every single one went "Bang!", and there was a hole in the center of the target.

And NO! They are not "Cheap Pot metal guns"! Look at those Cobra Arms guns and those old Lorcins and Ravens!

Stop acting like little kids, and let's lay this whole "I hate Hi-Points" Debate to rest.

the only reasons I can think of people bashing on Hi Points;
1. the price range. apparently people have been so conditioned to think expensive=good
2. the bulk of it. its a simple blowback design, not a fancy locked breech design..it works.
3. its looks... yeah its ugly, BUT so was the Sten gun and M3 Grease gun....
4. they don't wanna admit that for the price, you SIMPLY CANNOT beat their customer service; and how good they are with getting you fixed up.
it is hilarious how many people automatically say "I won't buy one ever again after ONE bad round through them" even though it more often is NOT the firearm's fault!

The price is set by supply and demand in the long run. Which is why one buys a used Hi-point for $150 and a used Python for $1500.

To those 'haters', myself included, a Hipoint is a POS. But as long as I can afford better I will buy better. To me, the thing is a pot-metal brick on a stick, over-heavy, over-sized, and under-magazined, but appropriately priced.

To the 'Lovers', be secure in your knowledge that you have aquired a firearm suitable to your needs, and quit whining about how no one respects your pistol. There is nothing there to be in awe of.

Hi-Point makes a good product. How else would they STILL be in business?

All four of the ones I have owned never failed to go 'bang', and they are reliable as heck.

They are inexpensive, not cheap.

Hi-Point makes a good product. How else would they STILL be in business?
Jennings/Raven/Bryco/Jimenez/Phoenix/Lorcin and whatever they call themselves today or tommorrow have been cranking out POS pistols for 40 years, doesn't make their product "quality goods".

All four of the ones I have owned never failed to go 'bang', and they are reliable as heck.
Glad to hear it, all pistols should do that.

They are inexpensive, not cheap.
LOL, no they ARE cheap. They fill a need, and well from what their owners tell me. But don't try to sell the "quality" snake-oil on these things. The low stress parts are made from cast or sintered zinc alloys, both inexpensive and cheap as compared to steel (any grade steel). Powder-coated zinc alloy will wear faster than steel, physics dictates it.

Listen if it works for you good. But trying to defend it against the preferences of more quality-minded shooters is absurd.

I'm not going to bash them, but the reality is that they do not fill any sort of a niche for me.

They are far too big and heavy for concealed carry, and for home defense if I am going to rely on something that big and heavy it will either be a revolver in .357 or a semi-auto in 9mm or .40 with a high-capacity magazine. And with the cost of ammo being what it is, if I want a "plinker" it will be a .22 that I can afford to shoot.

I have heard some people refer to them as cheap "car guns" or "truck guns"...but since I have a concealed handgun permit, I have no need to leave a handgun in my vehicle where it could get stolen, I prefer to have it in a holster inside of my waistband where it is available whether I am in my car or not.

From what I have seen and heard (I have handled and shot them but never owned one) they are the "cream of the crop" when it comes to zinc-alloy, blowback-operated semi auto pistols. Unfortunately, that just isnt saying much. Yes they have excellent customer service and they stand behind their products, but so does KelTec and for only about $75 more I can buy one of those and have myself a compact, lightweight, concealable, locked-breech, +p rated weapon that can accept high-capacity magazines. Which is what I did.

Hey Blitz,
Name a "high end" company that would have the customer service that High Point is showing on this.

And as many Hi-Point haters as there seem to be, I find it funny that I don't hear of anybody sorry about their Hi-Point purchase. Are they ugly as he11? - YES! Are the finishes not up to Kimber standards? - NO! But they are cheap and fun to shoot.

Me- just another 995ts fan

And some fun viewing of some Hi-Point haters seeing what it takes to kill a Hi-Point (hint - it takes several videos and these guys are insane):

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test - YouTube

Why are people so quick to judge others as "haters" because they don't like something? I don't like Hi Points because ones that I've handled were the biggest POS I've ever seen and I was all ready to buy a Hi Point at one point due to it's price. two 9mms that I have shot, pistol and a carbine, couldn't run a full mag without multiple stoppages. Not sure if my buddy sent the gun back or just sold it but I that convinced me enough not to buy a HiPoint. Maybe their QC got better over the years and I'm glad they offer a life time warranty but still won't ever buy a Hi Point based on my past experience.

to offer my two bits...

guns are generally simple in desingn. its not difficult to manufacture a decent gun these days with some capitol and a good machine shop. hi-point has done it and when you compare it to other guns, i would have to say they did it with the bare minimum. They use cheap materials, undesirable ergonomics, and a design that seems to focus around cost of build (hence the $140 msrp) instead of function and reliability.

thats great to hear the company took care of you well, but im a craftsman and i appreciate rugged quality products opposed to cheap goods. hope it doesnt sound too harsh but i'll hang on to my money till i save up for a BETTER gun... not to say hi point isnt good its just not as good as majority of the manufacturers out there.

Would you Babies STOP CALLING HI-POINT'S "POS'S"!!!

They fill a role, and do it quite nicely. My Hi-Point 9mm Carbine is just as lethal as your "Special whoop-dee-doo" expensive gun.

Hi-Point's may not be of the best quality, BUT THEY ARE NOT A BAD GUN.

Would you Babies STOP CALLING HI-POINT'S "POS'S"!!!

They fill a role, and do it quite nicely. My Hi-Point 9mm Carbine is just as lethal as your "Special whoop-dee-doo" expensive gun.

Hi-Point's may not be of the best quality, BUT THEY ARE NOT A BAD GUN.

If we can't call Hi-Points pieces of crap, then what gun can we call a piece of crap? You ever disassemble a hi-point pistol? You ever shoot one? It's heavy, bulky and made very poorly.

They are accurate, I'll give them that. Never held one of the carbines, though...might have a different opinion if I did.

Glad to hear the customer service treats people well, though.

They're ugly, un-ergonomic, but they sure can shoot. The only issues I had with mine (which was also my first gun) were mag relate, but other than that... flawless. Not exactly the perfect duty or carry piece, but with over 1000 rounds without failure, many of which were various sorts of JHPs, I wouldn't mind trusting my life to it. A Hi-Point will kill you just as dead as a Glock.

They fill a need, and well from what their owners tell me. But don't try to sell the "quality" snake-oil on these things. The low stress parts are made from cast or sintered zinc alloys, both inexpensive and cheap as compared to steel (any grade steel). Powder-coated zinc alloy will wear faster than steel, physics dictates it.

Listen if it works for you good. But trying to defend it against the preferences of more quality-minded shooters is absurd.

^^^^^^^ This.

While there is nothing "wrong" with inexpensive firearms, they ALWAYS revert back to the old saying....You get what you pay for, and nothing you don't. If you intend to shoot a lot, the materials used in their construction will wear faster, and fail quicker than a weapon costing more, employing better materials. When you think about it, saving a few hundred bucks on a cheaply made weapon is poor economics. Even if they have good customer service. The reason is because if it fails you will only get back what you had to begin with. A cheap weapon built with substandard materials that will fail again. Personally, I can think of better Merry-Go-Round's to ride.

^^^^^^^ This.

While there is nothing "wrong" with inexpensive firearms, they ALWAYS revert back to the old saying....You get what you pay for, and nothing you don't. If you intend to shoot a lot, the materials used in their construction will wear faster, and fail quicker than a weapon costing more, employing better materials. When you think about it, saving a few hundred bucks on a cheaply made weapon is poor economics. Even if they have good customer service. The reason is because if it fails you will only get back what you had to begin with. A cheap weapon built with substandard materials that will fail again. Personally, I can think of better Merry-Go-Round's to ride.

Chances are, if you can afford enough ammo to wear out a Hi-Point, you can probably afford a more quality pistol :s0114:

I'd like to point out a couple things to the O.P..
First, you can send a gun back to ANY gun manufacturer, I could cut my Springfield in half with a blow torch and send it back. Getting it fixed or replaced is a different story. Considering you haven't got the gun back (which I'm sure you WILL) I'm not exactly "Amazed" just yet. Maybe you should have waited until you got the gun back in 100% condition before you posted this.
Secondly, I don't think anyone hates the Hi-Point due to poor customer service so telling the Haters to "SUCK IT" doesn't really make sense. It's kinda like telling a Mercedes owner your Hyundai has a better warrantee, so "SUCK IT". People don't like them because they are big, heavy, ugly, cheaply made, crudely designed and ugly (yes, I know I said that twice, haha).

Silly statements like "They are inexpensive, not cheap." just propagate the "hate" toward HiPoint's, most B.B. guns use the same quality metal (or better) as a Hi-Point so I'm gonna have to go with "Yeah, they ARE cheap", which is not to say they don't work or don't have good customer service, just don't get those things mixed up in your head.

I don't "hate" Hi-Points, I just don't have any use or desire for one. Part of my "like" for guns is the craftsmanship involved in the design and manufacture of most firearms, Hi-Points just don't "do it" for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top