JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a responsible gun owner
I have one recommendation for you and that is dry fire practice to become more familiar with your 870.
Simulated shells called snap caps are sized to match 12 gauge shells and have a spring loaded primer.
You can load and dry fire to get more familiar with the pump. You won't have recoil though.

Not the same as live fire practice but is an important part of becoming more familiar with your gun especially after cleaning, disassembly, reassembly etc. Most online stores sell them including Amazon. 12 gauge snap caps.

Cheers!

12 Gauge snapcap.jpg

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a responsible gun owner
I have one recommendation for you and that is dry fire practice to become more familiar with your 870.
Simulated shells called snap caps are sized to match 12 gauge shells and have a spring loaded primer.
You can load and dry fire to get more familiar with the pump. You won't have recoil though.

Not the same as live fire practice but is an important part of becoming more familiar with your gun especially after cleaning, disassembly, reassembly etc. Most online stores sell them including Amazon. 12 gauge snap caps.

Cheers!

View attachment 671544
I actually just got those in my Amazon cart today! Lol and I'll be doing that to get used to my two beauties.
I'm disappointed I can't get my CPL as everything is closed down but I got everything for open carry just in case.

I think the same thing. Get out shoot it and see how it is for me.
Welcome to NWFA! Glad to see another 2A friendly who wants to take charge of their own well-being by exercising their rights. As I'm sure you're aware, outside of this virus outbreak that has hit us, an unfortunate, popular stance taken is the anti-gun stance and especially in your locality. The best thing you can do as a new gun owner is to get familiar with other people with more experience who can offer resources. Make sure to be a voice in your community. Sadly, you'll have people demonize you for owning a gun and as much as I regret to say, it is something you'll have to accept. There are just a lot of people who really don't like guns out there....HOWEVER, if you can change even just a few people's perspective about gun rights, then it all becomes worth it. Oh and shooting them is a lot of fun too.

Welcome.

Since you are new to shotguns, just a few comments on your shotgun and defensive ammo selection.

Your 870 Express home defense shotgun has a cylinder bore, (no choke), barrel like most security shotguns.

It is important to pattern test your particular shotgun to see how it handles defensive ammuntion.

To give you an idea of what you might expect, here are two videos shot with a similar cylinder bore shotgun:

Patterning 00 Buckshot

PRACTICAL RANGE OF SLUGS FROM A HOME DEFENSE SHOTGUN

Before you put it away, check to see that it is unloaded.
Then when you next take it out (of where-ever) check again to see that it is unloaded.

Once in a very great while you will find one cartridge in that unloaded gun.

And enjoy it.

A sling on a shotgun in the house will hang up on every doorknob if you're moving from room to room. You can shorten the stock and add a Limbsaver so it's more kid sized for the smallest kid. The safety is for the trigger...if you hit the butt really hard on the floor, for instance, it can fire even with the safety on. Are you 12 or 20 gauge? Learn the rules of engagement and learn some tactics (really just problem-solving).

This is so cool you're motivated and determined. WELCOME!!!

A sling on a shotgun in the house will hang up on every doorknob if you're moving from room to room. You can shorten the stock and add a Limbsaver so it's more kid sized for the smallest kid. The safety is for the trigger...if you hit the butt really hard on the floor, for instance, it can fire even with the safety on. Are you 12 or 20 gauge? Learn the rules of engagement and learn some tactics (really just problem-solving).

This is so cool you're motivated and determined. WELCOME!!!
I got a sling when I bought it. It's a 12gauge. I'll watch some videos.

Ok, this is a bit funny but when I was younger I watched a movie and a woman had a shotgun in some old western movie and she shot a bad guy and her shotgun had a sling. I remember thinking that she was badas and a shotgun was badas.

I'm a member at the Federal Way discount guns and indoor range in Federal Way. They have many handguns to try and have classes for all levels. I'd call them and ask about shotgun use and training, as only slugs are allowed in the main range.
Federal way isn't too far but most of the ranges are closed so I would have to call and ask.

I have mostly owned Remington 870's because they are robust. However the safety arrangement has never been good for me. I like the way Mossberg has their safety on top of the receiver.
Get yourself some low recoil ammo when you get a chance. Some dummy rounds might be a good idea to practice loading with. A sling is really important. It might take some hardware. Check out Paul Harrell on YouTube. He has some videos that explain how a shotgun can be used. Clint at Thunder Ranch also has some excellent stuff.

Get an AR lower receiver now. No state paperwork, no waiting period, just instant federal computer check by the FFL. You can buy the upper receiver / barrel / other components later.

There are thousands of very knowledgeable people here at NWFA. Welcome.
You sure? A stripped lower doesnt have the 10 day bullbubblegum wait?

Well thats great news, cause im heading to my ffl to do the paperwork for a bolt gun and a stripped lower tomorrow. Believe i have everything i need to do my first ar build, but thought id have to wait for the lower.

Welcome.
Quickly sell your gun and find a new hobby...

or prepare to go down the rabbit hole with the rest of us.
You will stop eating out, quit going to the movies, get a fire stick and cancel cable. You will use cheap gas, shop with coupons, and cut back on beer.
just so you can buy more guns, more ammo, training and range time.

welcome to your new life !

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads