Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hi, howdy, greetings & felicitations

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JeanneS, Feb 16, 2011.

1. JeanneS

JeanneS Beaverton, OR New Member

A really cool friend pointed me at this forum, so here's my intro --

40-something highly-caffeinated chick who has a fondness for: wheelguns, critters of all sorts (my household has 5 cats, 4 snakes, a lizard, & a bunny -- and someday we'll have goats & chickens), yarn, well-disciplined kids, tattoos, military veterans (I live with 2 -- my husband, and my best friend), politically-incorrect humor, great conversation, good scifi books and bad scifi movies. Not necessarily in that order. :)

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Welcome. Scifi eh? I just started reading Dean Koontz's "False Memory". One of my favorite authors.

3. JeanneS

I didn't realize Dean Koontz wrote scifi; I thought he wrote "contemporary fiction thrillers" (but I like those too, especially stuff by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child). Mostly I read David Weber, Spider Robinson, Orson Scott Card, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein, Michael Crichton, Marion Zimmer Bradley, S. M. Stirling, H. Beam Piper, Dean Ing, Eric Flint, Jacqueline Lichtenberg, Jean Lorrah, Jim Butcher, and a whole bunch of authors who mainly write horror with a fantasy/scifi bent to it.

I thought I'd hate military scifi until I started reading it a couple years ago; now I love it! And I should never be allowed to go into Powell's unsupervised. :)

4. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Welcome to here.

Does "bad scifi movies" mean stuff like Megashark vs Giant Octopus or more along the lines of Battlefield Earth or Plan 9 From Outer Space?

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Most of Koontz's books would probably be termed "contemporary fiction thrillers", but some of them straddle the line with SciFi (Midnight comes to mind). Michael Chrichton is my all time favorite author. I just started rereading Prey.

What kind of wheelguns you got?

6. JeanneS

I'm not big on the really bad scifi movies (Megashark vs Giant Octopus type) but my husband loves them so I tolerate them (ditto for really bad horror movies). I like bad scifi movies with half-decent plots that mainly suffer from rotten acting (Red Planet type), or actors I like in awful plots (Armageddon or The Fifth Element type), or from-a-series-I-liked-that's-now-run-into-the-ground (most of the Star Trek movies).

I have not seen Battlefield Earth and I'm kind of afraid to, if it's as bad as I've heard. :)

7. JeanneS

I just finished Prey less than a month ago! Liked it lots.

I have a little Rossi .38 Special 5-shot. I think I want a bigger handgun, but my hubby has dibs on the next gun purchase. And I want a rifle next, anyway.

8. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

Hey girlfriend. That was quick.

9. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

I think she may have been referring to EVERY sci-fi movie.................EVER!!

10. JeanneS

Well, you always knew I was a fast woman. :bluelaugh:

11. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Hey, now. Galaxy Quest was awesome!

12. Page.k

Page.k Seattle Active Member