JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first firearms forum that I registered to. I am a scientist by profession and hiker/backpacker/traveler/photographer in my free time. I live in Seattle and have extensively traveled (hiked and backpacked) in the Mountain West (most recent trip for 2 week at the Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho). I am a citizen of Croatia, but I am a legal resident (green card holder) and as such am entitled to the 2nd Amendment. I currently own Ruger SP100 (.357 Mag) for my protection on my backpacking trips (I also carry bear spray along my Ruger) and I use 180 grain bullets. However, next summer I am planning 5-6 weeks backpacking trip to Alaska, so I need something more potent for Alaskan Browns, so I decided to buy Henry 45-70 Gov All Weather Lever Action Rifle.
A week ago I purchased the Henry rifle in Cabela , but since I am not an US citizen, but a permanent resident my background check was supposed to take a day or two (FBI has also to check my immigration status and that can take a day or two). Now it has been a whole week and my background check is still showing "delayed". In the past I purchased a pistol (Springfield XD, made in my native country of Croatia for my cancelled carry) and Ruger revolver and I got my background check cleared within few hours. Does anyone on this forum has the same experience with background check? By the way, I also have a valid WA cancelled permit and have perfectly clear record.

I was getting delayed (in OR) pretty regularly every 5 years. The last one was in 2017 and it's due to a barroom dust-up in 1996 in Arizona.
The whole thing was dismissed without charges but mishandling by the arresting agency and subsequently Maricopa county of booking documentation brings it back around.
It's hopefully all straightened-out now... we'll see. That delay was 5 months getting cleared up.
WA operates under different rules than OR, but being the squeaky wheel in a multi-jurisdictional SNAFU seems to help some.

I don't know about WA state, but the amount of firearm purchases here in Orygun has been so much that it has caused long wait times in any firearm purchases. It took a week for the buyer of one of my single shot rifles to go thru the process.

Maybe someone from WA state can speak to the current time it takes for a BGC & paperwork to go thru. For a lever action I wouldn't think there would be much, if any, state involvement, whereas in Orygun everything goes thru the OSP.

Johnyuma, thank you very much for your input. I have no record at all and my record is clean as it gets, so it bugs me why it is taking so long. It could also be that the system is too busy (a lot of people are buying guns these days). I hope the clerk at the Cabela store did not mess us something with my application. The guy who was doing my application did not have much knowledge of the system. Originally, he almost submitted my application as a citizen, Luckily, I spotted the error when he gave me the application to check before submitting it, and we corrected the error.

Now it is 8 days and still waiting for my background check to clear. Does anyone know how long one has to wait before submitting another application if the previous one never gets processed? I purchased the rifle on-line from Bass Pro Shop and rifle was shipped to a Cabela store (They are now the same company) and according to the Bass Pro Shop customer service, I have until October 15 to return the rifle for full refund if my application is not resolved. Thus, I am planning to wait for another 7 days, and if my application is still pending, I will return the rifle and wait until I legally can submit another application. This time I would definitely stay away from Bass Pro Shop/Cabela and get it in a family owned gun shop.

It will take approximately 15 calendar days in order to get the OK to complete your purchase. The state of Washington's gov't. is very anti-gun and is using the background check statute to frustrate and delay gun ownership. Sorry that you are experiencing this infringement on the 2nd Amendment.
Welcome to the forums. Croatia is a beautiful country.

Hi oldcorpgunny,

Thank you very much for your reply. You are correct. In my opinion a lot of these background check delays are purposely done to try to prevent low obedient people of owning guns.

BINGO!!! Happy News!! I just got a call from Cabela that my background check was approved and I can go there to pick up my new Henry machine.

Any green card holder has an auto delay from the LE agencies, or the NICS systems if purchasing a rifle, shotgun or lower. INS has to be contacted and validate the green card is still valid. Agencies are buried right now, larger agencies take a long time. Smaller agencies are sometimes faster, 3 days or so...but that all depends on the INS in your situation.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top