JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those who carry a firearm with a high capacity magazine, 12+, how do you load 'em? For example, do you load the full mag with self defense rounds or say, the first six self defense and the rest FMJ? I have some reasoning in my head for the question but, wanted to see what others thoughts on this were.:)

We don't have high capacity magazines we have standard capacity magazines.
High-capacity magazines and assault weapon were terms Coined by the Bill Clinton administration and the media at the time of the AWB.

All my carry guns that are 9 and above are loaded with only the good stuff. When I go to the range I always have extra mags that are loaded with the cheap stuff. Pop out the mag in the gun and pop in another mag. When done I top off the mag that I am leaving in the pistol with one for good round to replace the one I just shot.

Pop out the mag in the gun and pop in another mag. When done I top off the mag that I am leaving in the pistol with one for good round to replace the one I just shot.

This practice is new to me. I guess those with whoosie hands don't like racking the slide to eject the SD round??? :p Or is it something regarding range rules?

SD ammo regardless of mag capacity. I've been a fan of Gold Dots since I started carrying about 4 years ago, they're still the best in my 9mm CZ, but I recently tried some HST's in my Sig .45 and decided to switch, they're just a little more accurate. If you buy your SD ammo on line, you can usually get 50 round boxes for about the same cost as the 20 round retail packages. You're pretty safe choosing any of the quality SD ammo, I haven't done an exhaustive test, but Gold Dots have worked in every pistol I've owned, and that's been more than a few, both 9mm and .45 ACP, and in all weights, although I usually use 124 gr. in 9mm and 230 gr. in .45. Oh, and I carry an extra loaded mag with the same ammo, not because I'm worried about needing that many rounds, but in case of a mag malfunction, the most common cause of pistol stoppages. Later.

Dave

You mean standard capacity magazines right? ;) I have my pistol loaded with 147gr HST rounds. It is too expensive to shoot HST rounds all the time at the range. I shoot one or two magazines with HST rounds and rest I use 124gr FMJ Winchester NATO rounds.

1st.) Thank you all for the replies.

2nd.) For the record, I carry a Walther PPS Mod2 w/both 6rd mags loaded with Sig Sauer Elite Performance JHPs. These are changed out every couple of months because I love to hit the range!:D This is my EDC and it is the most accurate gun to date for me and my hands.:s0155:

3rd.) I only asked the question because it came up in a conversation with an acquaintance. I am not worried over saving money on self defense ammo. Was just curious to what others thoughts on this was.

This practice is new to me. I guess those with whoosie hands don't like racking the slide to eject the SD round??? :p Or is it something regarding range rules?

Rechambering the same round over and over can cause the bullet to set back in the case. This can cause issues in extreme cases. Its fiddy cents to just shoot the one SD round in the chamber and not worry about it.

Its that I do not want to keep chambering the same round over and over. Doing this can start to force the slug down further into the case. Doing it a couple times is most likely not going to matter with most pistols but, do it enough and it will start to pound that slug down. So I just let the one in the chamber go and replace it.

Its that I do not want to keep chambering the same round over and over. Doing this can start to force the slug down further into the case. Doing it a couple times is most likely not going to matter with most pistols but, do it enough and it will start to pound that slug down. So I just let the one in the chamber go and replace it.

Ah, velly intellessting!!!

I always keep a round in the chamber but in case I don't get to the range and I clean my pistol i rechamber the same round a maximum of two times. After two times I pull a second round out and put twice rechambered as the second round instead. I use a notebook to keep track.

I go to the indoor shooting range a few times a month and always shoot my carry magazine at least and put a new fully loaded magazine in my pistol.

For my AR I never rechamber the same round. I put the round in my range bag and shoot all of rechambered rounds at the range. Since I don't keep a round chambered in my AR at home I don't have a lot of rechambered rounds to shoot. :D

We don't have high capacity magazines we have standard capacity magazines.

Amen Brother Jim.

I have my pistol loaded with 147gr HST rounds. It is too expensive to shoot HST rounds all the time at the range.

I also carry the 147gr HST. Once a year I change out for fresh carry ammo (I know, most likely a non-issue but what does it hurt?) and shoot up last year's fifty rounds. For the rest of the year's practice drills we worked up a load with an FMJ 147gr TC bullet (which is cheap by the thousand at Rocky Mountain or Wideners) and a 4 grain-ish case of Unique. The load matches the HST velocity and feels very much the same for recoil.

Rechambering the same round over and over can cause the bullet to set back in the case.

Why not insert your first round in the chamber manually, let the slide down and give it a firm pop on the back to jump the rim and get into battery? Extractors are tough to break and definitely tougher than crimps. I have done this hundreds of times a year each in various Glocks, Kahrs and 1911s and have broken exactly zero extractors in 30+ years of EDC.

Amen Brother Jim.;););)

I also carry the 147gr HST. Once a year I change out for fresh carry ammo (I know, most likely a non-issue but what does it hurt?) and shoot up last year's fifty rounds. For the rest of the year's practice drills we worked up a load with an FMJ 147gr TC bullet (which is cheap by the thousand at Rocky Mountain or Wideners) and a 4 grain-ish case of Unique. The load matches the HST velocity and feels very much the same for recoil.

Why not insert your first round in the chamber manually, let the slide down and give it a firm pop on the back to jump the rim and get into battery? Extractors are tough to break and definitely tougher than crimps. I have done this hundreds of times a year each in various Glocks, Kahrs and 1911s and have broken exactly zero extractors in 30+ years of EDC.

I do this frequently, then over a few months of rotation I'll just shoot it while training.;)

I am lazy I guess, its $.50 for that one SD round and that's too much work for the cost. I'm at the range about to shoot $20-$200 in ammo. One round is not worth my time to think about.

Ok, but when I take my EDC to the range, I unload all the mags and reload with target loads. It shoots to the same point of aim at the yardages that I practice.

Sooooo, everything goes in the range bag and the likelyhood of getting the same round at the top of the mag is pretty low. This is what works for me. Ya'll do what ya gotta do!! ;)

Off the particular topic but kinda germane is that if you load a big ol mag of 147's or heaven forbid, those new 185gr Seismic 9mm loads in your lightweight 9, it gets heavy.
They have new hybrid stainless/brass (?) cases with lightweight high performance penetrator slugs that add way less to the package than those.

Off the particular topic but kinda germane is that if you load a big ol mag of 147's or heaven forbid, those new 185gr Seismic 9mm loads in your lightweight 9, it gets heavy.
They have new hybrid stainless/brass (?) with lightweight high performance penetrator slugs that add way less to the package than those.

I carry 115gr Critical Defense for that reason.

They have new hybrid stainless/brass (?) cases with lightweight high performance penetrator slugs that add way less to the package than those.
Most Folks don't think about the ammo weight as much as we do, I wonder if some have actually weighed their loaded mags?
For 9 mm, i have always used the Middle ground 124 gr weight bullets, and they do the best job a 9 mm will do!
Wanna heavy gun, look at the weight of a 2011 series 1911 and then add the weight of 18 rounds or 230 gr ammo, THAT'S heavy as hell!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top