JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those who carry a firearm with a high capacity magazine, 12+, how do you load 'em? For example, do you load the full mag with self defense rounds or say, the first six self defense and the rest FMJ? I have some reasoning in my head for the question but, wanted to see what others thoughts on this were.:)

I would suppose it would depend on just what you plan on shooting at.
Kinda like those folks who have variety of loads for their home defense shotgun.
I understand the idea behind it but....

I am simple guy...so I just stick with whatever load works the best from my gun and the one that I shoot the best.
Andy

Sorry Andy, guess I need to be more clear on my post.:D I'm not talking about what loads work best, I'm talking about whether folks load their hi-cap mags with all self defense or a mix of self defense and FMJ.

Sorry Andy, guess I need to be more clear on my post.:D I'm not talking about what loads work best, I'm talking about whether folks load their hi-cap mags with all self defense or a mix of self defense and FMJ.
Oh I understood that...
And no matter what...I still stick with what works best with the gun , be it hollow point , FMJ , etc...

Its one thing to have a jam , FTF or the like on the range...but quite another to have it happen during a real self defense situation.
Andy

Yeah, I was just figuring with the cost of self defense ammo, it would be cheaper for one to load say, six rounds self defense and the remainder with FMJ. It is not a common thing for an every day CC'er to be engaged in a high round count shoot out so, loading the remainder with FMJ would make sense to me.

The cost is a factor for sure...
I like to practice with 230 grain FMJ for my 1911 and carry 230 grain Speer Gold Dots....
At practical ranges with my shooting and my pistol ( 25 yards and less ) there ain't much difference on paper.

As for carrying a mix of ammo...
I know that FMJ from a .45acp will stop a threat....just ask Sgt. York.....but I think that in my gun , and in my situation Hollow Points make more sense...so I just stick with them , for self defense.

Granted you did ask about high capacity magazines'...and I am speaking of my 1911....
'Course 8 shots from a pistol is high capacity , compared to the guns I usually shoot....:D
Andy

50 round boxes of Remington green box jhp's are pretty inexpensive and effective.
The stopper was and likely still is their 125gr jhp .357 magnum load. I've shot deer and hog with their 115gr jhp 9mm and it just works also.

My EDC 9mm (as well as my 22WMR NAA Pug) is currently loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. Ive also been known to load 45ACP +P+ Cor-Bon JHP that wizz along at (roughly) 1,100 - 1,300fps

My woods gun is 125gr SJHP in my .357 revolver(s) for man and beast alike.

What are these "hi-cap" magazines you speak of? I load my G45 magazines with 17 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. Glock designed the magazine to hold that many and I'm not really a name caller so I just say I'm carrying as many rounds a the firearm was intended for.

:cool:

Yeah, I was just figuring with the cost of self defense ammo, it would be cheaper for one to load say, six rounds self defense and the remainder with FMJ. It is not a common thing for an every day CC'er to be engaged in a high round count shoot out so, loading the remainder with FMJ would make sense to me.

I don't see how varying the rounds is going to save you any money? You wold be better off with a full stack of the best if you ever needed them...

How many mags we talkin?

I carry with full loadouts of SD ammo in 9mm. The handgun has a 10rd mag for concealability and I carry two 17rd mags on the opposing side for a full count of 44rds. With Hornady Critical Defense ammo at $19.99/25rd box, that's $40 invested in my well being. Not gonna be a big savings to go half/half.

We spend $$$$ on firearm, permit, classes, etc, then gonna cheap out on what ammo we carry? Not me!!!

I shoot reloads or FMJ in competition because it's high round count. Same for plinking. When I carry in the woods, I'm carrying a .357mag.... I put several rounds of hard cast up first in rotation, then SD ammo for two-legged critters. If I need to kill a truck, I load up with Critical Duty ammo instead of Critical Defense.

If the cost of high cap ammo which you only replace once a year is a problem, and you don't need to worry about stopping the threat after 6rds, maybe switch to a Lorcin??? :p;):D

12+1 of Hornady Critical Defense in the CC gun. When I shoot my CC gun (for fun, practice or a match) I remove the mag with the SD ammo and put in a new mag with "range" ammo. I shoot the chambered SD round at the range. The mag gets one new SD round when I get home.

FWIW, though the most common defensive gun use is a low round count, one never knows. Imagine having PO'd your ex-girlfriend's 9 brother/sisters and her mother/father/uncles/aunts and they all come after you in a running gun battle in the mall or downtown. Since you never can find a LEO when you need one, you might have to Jack Bauer til you can find a place to hide. Then you reach your get-oudda-dodge rig and an intense car chase ensues with shots being traded back and forth for 20 min.

No? Oh well. Still... stuff happens. Semper Apparatus!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top