JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same! I never bought into loading 28 or whatever. Its a 30 round mag so 30 it is!
This is one of those things that got started long before al invented the net and took on a life of it's own. In the very early days of the AR in Nam they did have some real problems. Most of them were the Military doing some really stupid crap and being very slow to learn. Many GI's in the early days loaded the mags with a couple less than full rounds do to reliability issues. It was hit and miss in how well this helped with the problems that were eventually fixed. Well this took on a life of it's own with people telling others that this was how it worked with all autos. I have seen it written into scrips for TV shows. To me it's a bunch of bunk. My mags are all loaded with the round count they are made to hold. You still run into people who do not because they "heard" its better for reliability to load a couple less. This takes a long time to die. :oops:

To me it's a bunch of bunk.
I'm inclined to believe this as I've never had an issue loading mags to their numbered capacity plus the one in battery already! That includes time in both Navy/Army and a number of AR's I've built from the ground up.:s0155:

Steve at Cerberus Training was discussing this issue about loading a full 30 round magazine in the AR class I went too. After the discussion was over, I only load 25 rounds in a 30 round magazine myself.

Can you load a 30 round magazine on a closed bolt? I cannot on some my ARs but I load 25 rounds I can load on a closed bolt.
Back in WWVietnam early edition, we only had 20 round magazines for our M-16's and we down loaded them to 18 rounds. WWVietnam Late Edition I acquired a M-16A1 and 30 round magazines, which I downloaded to 28 rounds, I see no reason to download a 30 round Magazine to 25 rounds. Daniel Defense sells 32 round magazines that can be loaded closed bolt with 30 rounds.

Sometimes I miscalculate how many rounds of SD ammo I can shoot and still have a full mag to carry on. Then I'll load an FMJ in the bottom of the mag. With this exception I only load more than one type of ammo in a gun and that's in my shotgun. When I'm packing it out in the toolies I alternate between buckshot and slugs, with buckshot first.

I am with others posting on this thread in that if I have a 30 round mag it gets 30 rounds and so on. Some new ones may need a little coaching early on. +1 on the above M-16 comments! WB pandaz3

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top