Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hey you E-BAY users.......?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mikej, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I ordered parts for my Ducane grill. I ordered the wrong things. I initiated a return and used the address given by the seller to ship the item back. The E-Bay site SAYS that my return is STILL in transit while I have e-mail confirmation from UPS that the item WAS delivered on March 5.

The sellers last communication with me was asking for a grill model #, which I sent.

Any body have words of wisdom or suggestion? I realize the seller still has a couple of days, but the fact that the item is still in transit as far as E-Bay knows has me concerned.

Mike

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

As long as you have the info that it has been received back by them that is all that counts in a dispute. Have you contacted the seller to verify they received the return? I assume that he asked the model # to be sure you get the correct replacement order. Maybe contact them again on the status of the transaction. If they say they did not get the return then just open a dispute with ebay. Did you use PayPal or ?

Some of the bigger ebay sellers are bigger companies and it takes some time to go thru the system on their end. If it gets close to the end of the time limit for opening a dispute I would just initiate one to be safe.

orygun likes this.
  3. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

I have had some minor issue while using e-bay. All were taken care of, some faster than others. Like deadeye said, some of the sellers are large companies. I wouldn't stress it, I am sure you will be taken care of. One thing I always do is check feedback on the seller, I will pay a little more to someone that has better feedback.

4. Mikej

I had initiated a return. The seller okay-ed the return.

The address on the box I received was different than the address the seller gave for the return.

Three or so days after I'd sent the model # I'd received NO contact from the seller so I sent another message to the seller saying I was returning the item. I've received NO contact from the seller since I sent the model #.

It doesn't matter to me how big a company is. They were able to take money from my card pretty quick, they should be able to check the box that tells me they received the item quicker than they have, that is, unless they're crooks!

Thing is, I went and bought the correct parts through Amazon and have them now. Those parts came from the same company with Amazon as the middle man instead of "2013decoshop".

Thanks deadeye.

5. Mikej

The seller didn't have 100% feed back, in looking through them they were mostly from, what could have been, idiots that ordered wrong parts and blamed the seller, or people that needed to do a slight modification and got all pizzy. We'll see.

6. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

If you paid via paypal you only have 30 to file a complaint. If you think you are going to have problems file one before the deadline. In the notes be pleasant and nice but clear about your issues. eBay is usually biased towards the buyer. They want buyers to be happy. One bad buyer experience can translate into a bunch of bad exposure. I have had a couple of bad experiences that all ended up in my favor. One where the buyer flat refused to refund my money for a item I returned, eBay stepped in and paid me direct.

7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've not had to make a return through Ebay yet, but have returned items from other vendors. Whenever I do a return for an item of any real value (say over $20+), I'll pay a few bucks extra to get a signature confirmation. I typically use USPS Priority, which only charges about $2.50 for that signature. I'll do the same when I'm selling a larger item too, just so I can have some kind of confirmation it was delivered and who signed for it.

8. ruggdogg87

ruggdogg87 Tigard Active Member

I would send one communication and then give it another day or 2 and then let ebay intervene. They will always go to bat for you and with the info that you have it should be a open shut case.

9. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

I agree 100% about paypal. I bought a engine case for a dirt bike and the guy just threw it in a cardboard box with a little newspaper. Well it arrived damaged and he didn't add insurance like I had asked because he paid shipping. Needless to say, Paypal refunded me 100% plus usps gave me the $100 standard insurance.

10. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

E Bay tracking is not always in sync with USPS tracking. There are several holes in E Bays over all tracking on questions, and items shipped. E Bay may say it is in transit, but USPS is usually pretty accurate. For instance, once we print a shipping label, E bay considers the item shipped for our rating purposes. It can sit in the inventory room for 3 days and htey consider it shipped. USPS will show it as printed awaiting acceptance. If they have received it back and asked you for a model number, you can assume they have the return and are processing it. A customer service e mail from a customer should usually be answered in less than 24 hours. We do ours in less than 8. Any business selling on E Bay needs to be very prompt in solving the problems.

Customers will often open a case with E Bay before they contact us and tell us USPS destroyed the package. That is pretty chicken shot, but that is retail sales. We resolve the case promptly and then block that buyer from any further purchases. We have 100% positive feedback and a Top Rated Seller rating on about 1000 transactions a year. If a customer contacts us with any issue, we generally issue them a full refund within 2 hours, let them keep the piece or pay for the return shipping if it pays out for us to take it back, and give them a small amount for their trouble. You should be making enough money to be able to handle this without any problem.

E Bay could care less if the customer screws the merchant, all they want from the merchant is their fees. If the company has not gotten back to you with an explanatory e mail in 48 hours, then open a case and watch things start to happen. Even with huge numbers of sales and feedbacks, in the tens of thousands, I would still be looking for at least a 96% positive feedback rating on a seller.

IronMonster likes this.
  11. Mikej

Here's the latest.....I shipped United Parcel Service BTW.

I now got a message through E-Bay from the seller wanting me to check the tracking number. All I can tell these people is what the hell is on the receipt I got from UPS!? Blow my mind....There was a different address on the box delivered than what the seller gave as the RMA [return Mailing Address] All I could do is respond with the tracking # I have and that I sent the package to the RMA, and that it was delivered over a week ago to the PROVIDED address.
    Sheesh!

12. Mikej

Update......As of this morning the seller has SEEEEN the HOLY LIGHT and refunded my $38.47!!!

I must be dumb as a box of rocks because it says I've been refunded money to my PayPal account. I don't believe I have a one of those? After a bit will I get that back on the card I used?

I'm just not cut out for this sort of stuff.:oops:

13. Mikej

I really need help with this now.....

So Friday morning, 3/13, I have the message through E-Bay from the seller that says "We found the item and have refunded $38.57 to you PayPal Account. I have a PayPal account? Okay I guess I do. Today Sunday 3/15, when I figure out HOW to access my PayPal account, there's nothing in there and no activity shown. I payed these humps with a credit card, and there's no refund on that card.

Am I missing something here??? I sent a reply this morning to the seller that I don't see a refund anywhere. This electronic stuff is supposed to be instantaneous isn't it? If the seller refunds [electronically] my money early Friday it should show right away shouldn't it?

What a pain!

14. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Hey mikej,
    even in this instant digital age it always seems to me refunds are slower to post than payments.
    my experience says days not seconds if they actually do what they say.
    moral of this story, your money goes faster than it comes.

15. Mikej

Your money goes faster than it comes.

LOL.....So John, in your experience this will most likely show up ...by......tomorrow?.....Tuesday?.......?

Thanks John

16. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you do not have a PayPal account, then the refund will be slower. PayPal is owned by EBay. If you go to an outside card, it will post but not as fast as a PayPal transaction. When I withdraw money from my PayPal account, it takes at least 48 hours to get to my bank account. Payments to others via PayPal are usually immediate in posting.

17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Dang Mike... I have sold one (expensive) UPS on eBay (for my dad) and have made HUNDREDS of purchases (on a very wide spectrum of items) with only two SNAFU's, but got my money refunded by eBay on one and a replacement item (from the vendor) for the defective item I received (and got to keep the defective item for spare parts).

If you paid via CC give it 3-5 business days for the refund to show up. If nothing shows up then call your CC company and dispute the charges, and submit all the correspondence and timelines (if requested) and they'll "pull" that money back from the merchant.

CoastRange57 likes this.
  18. Mikej

Okay, this helps. What I'd like to know is, will my refund be put on the credit card I used? Or will I have to figure out how to move the refund from my PayPal account BACK onto my credit card?

I must sound like a real DUMMY here!o_O

19. Mikej

"Three to five business days" Got it! Thanks Stomper!

20. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

The first thing I would ask the seller is why it was refunded to paypal when payment was not made by paypal.

I have dealt a lot with things like this and I have never refunded a payment in a method other than how the payment was made. It sounds fishy to me. If you paid by credit card, you should get a refund to that credit card.