Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hey, what's going on with my "Google Search"??!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mikej, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

All of a sudden when I click on the address bar while I'm reading here, then type in something to search for like ""Harrington & Richardson Pistols" it takes me to this " Rocket Tab " search page. WTH? Strangely, it won't provide links for Harrington & Richards, only "Harrington" things! No more google search? Did I miss something? I can't find a way to get off this stupid rocket Tab thing and back to google search.

I also tried with Explorer and it goes to rocket Tab also.

I'm not very computer savvy. A long time ago I switched to Chrome for my browser and use ghostery and Addblock. It was sooo much better than Explorer.

Mike

2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Redcap and IronMonster like this.
  3. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

@Mikej if you are still on here, get the Chameleon (mbam) from Malware bytes, then disconnect from the internet and run it.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/chameleon/

You will be running some randomly named program - which they designed to help out wit the malware.

Best of luck.

4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Your computer is infected with SpyWare/Adware

I suggest;
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • SpyBot Search & Destroy (I've been using this since early 2000's.
    • Switch to Google Chrome or Mozilla FireFox
    • Use JavaScript controls for your web browsers so you can choose what sites to enable JavaScript to run.
      • Any malicious website can tell your computer to "run xyz script and download file from abc server and install". Congrats you now are infected. You should manage these script running websites and only allow the trusted ones.
      • In the last 8 years of running this software and keeping an eye on my web security I do not need bloated antivirus software and do not get spyware/adware on my computer.
    My $.02

5. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

Yuk

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

My 11 year-old son used my computer for 15 minutes a few weeks ago. Somehow he managed to infect it with scores of viruses and other malware. I worked for 2 days trying to get it 'fixed', but stuff kept popping back up no matter what combination of remedies I tried.

I ended up punting - formatted and reinstalled everything. I would love to find the a-holes that authored these things and spend a little time with them.

7. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

Quality time I might add.;)

8. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Oh, yes - high quality! :D

9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks Bolus! I got it gone with the directions in the first link, didn't appear to be too much of it, too deep, and it cleaned right up.

I run Spybot S&D. For some reason, I had Malwarebytes and I remember it not working with Spybot? Maybe I'll try it again.

I do use Chrome, so much better than Explorer! That stupid rocket tab ran on all three according to the removal instructions. It was on my Explorer too.

Thanks for the help guys, probably could have googled a solution......but you guys came through quicker! Of course I couldn't google because all I had was "Rocket Tab"!

RicInOR and Dyjital like this.