JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure that Portland or Seattle should be near the top either, but then any urban area is going to be death trap for most.
The thing with the hippy/crazy left/hipster douchebag crowd that many don't realize is that they tend to turn on each other very quickly even in the best of times. When I went to Evergreen College I got to study them in their natural environment, and observed how they went to hippy thunderdome mode when someone stole their stash, ate the last bit of granola, or just disagreed with each other. They are just not cohesive enough to stick together when times get hard. Even if they are cold, wet, and hungry I just can't see them turning into a threat, it's just not in their DNA. IMO a bigger threat will be the gangbangers and white trash tweeker types who are cohesive and very well armed.

. IMO a bigger threat will be the gangbangers and white trash tweeker types who are cohesive and very well armed.

This is true in many cases they tend to look a the goals in mind as twisted as they may be.
When I was in my late teens lived right in Mexican Gang territory, one would have thought my life would have been in danger, nope far from it. I live about 1/2 block from the leader home and they actually kept a strong unity as long as the code of silence was observed very odd dynamics and I learned allot about how the insides work.

Let's think about some of those "hippy types" another way:

My friends and family and I joke around about having an "apocalypse team". Ya know, like who you'd want to have on your side when SHTF. The way I figure it, superior firepower will only get you through the first few... Days? Months? A year? Then what? Do you know how to farm or make clothes? Does your household already run totally off the grid? Solar power, rain barrels, a grey water system? If not, those hippy dippy types are the ones you need on your "team" because while they may not have any guns to get through the initial fracas, they have the knowledge and the skills to make a longterm "after" more viable.

Let's think about some of those "hippy types" another way:

My friends and family and I joke around about having an "apocalypse team". Ya know, like who you'd want to have on your side when SHTF. The way I figure it, superior firepower will only get you through the first few... Days? Months? A year? Then what? Do you know how to farm or make clothes? Does your household already run totally off the grid? Solar power, rain barrels, a grey water system? If not, those hippy dippy types are the ones you need on your "team" because while they may not have any guns to get through the initial fracas, they have the knowledge and the skills to make a longterm "after" more viable.

Let's think about the hippy dippy types another way; will they be a necessary evil?

Their current lifestyle is not possible without a certain level of security; a task which they often pass along to a surrogate (military, LEO, ACLU, or the parts of the US Constitution they like).

I doubt there will be very many nude bicycle events, gay-pride or Occupy Portland rallies, mushroom festivals (or festivals of anykind). I doubt there will be any kayactivists blocking the rivers, or even the green bike boxes. Nor do I see any free bus/rail tickets, or subsidies for college, or even a store where they could buy spray paint for graffitti, in a post shtf scenario.

It will be up to them to decide if they want to become a necessary evil or not, but I do believe in using the unholy alliances....good point, thanks

they have the knowledge and the skills to make a longterm "after" more viable.
Yea, uh huh if we are talking about the same 'hippy dippy' types I am thinking about I don't want to be anywhere near their patchouli oil stinking, long haired dreds or what ever they roll in. And what happens when they loose their 'Chackras' and can't listen to Deepak Chopra to help them find them? No thanks - I'll take my chances without them.

Yea, uh huh if we are talking about the same 'hippy dippy' types I am thinking about I don't want to be anywhere near their patchouli oil stinking, long haired dreds or what ever they roll in. And what happens when they loose their 'Chackras' and can't listen to Deepak Chopra to help them find them? No thanks - I'll take my chances without them.

Yeah, I wasn't quite thinking that type of hippy. I was thinking more of the productive, sefl-sufficient type of hippy. My neighborhood is full of them. They are generally characterized by their love of chickens, multiple rain barrels, huge parking strip gardens, and doing everything by cargo bike. This has actually come up a little bit in the survival and preparedness threads that some of those hippy types have a lot in common with some off-the-grid types.

Spent 35 years in rural Oregon. Most of my former neighbors would be dead in a month when the cheeze doodle supplies disappear in the local market.

They are generally characterized by their love of chickens, multiple rain barrels, huge parking strip gardens, and doing everything by cargo bike.
Boy, now doesn't than sound Utopian - This gives me an idea though - what I see would be an opportunity to corral these productive, self-sufficient type of hippy and turn them into the 'worker drones' of the community - keep 'em stoned, stupid and pluckin the chickens, the rain barrels full, the parking strips gardened and what have you. As long as they keep their mouths shut and don't start chanting any weird hippy stuff then they might be useful. AND to ensure conformity and grooming standards they will be required to shave all beards, long hair and anything else not considered to be healthy or sanitary (both men and women). Morning drill and head count will be the norm.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top