JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe the reason he picks Portland over NYC or Chicago is the mindset of Portlandia.

The sheep in Portland are a different breed than those big established urban hellholes with a much longer history of organized crime as well as hard drugs, rapes, serial killers, muggings, gang violence etc.

An inner city Chicago born citizen would tend to have more situational awareness when things went bad than an average Hipster or even a slacker deadbeat bum in Portland. I mean the motto of Portland "Keep Portland weird" is very telling.

If they are not living in reality now, what happens when reality gets scary?

You can't just have a protest against SHTF or WROL.

The earthquake needed that will take down all major bridges and a lot of smaller ones as well. Nobody will be driving, everybody will be on foot. There will be natural isolation of people pockets based upon the ability to cross whatever water body / way need to transit a given area. Who controls the water will be key...test yourselves....if the Big One hit right noooowwwww.....Would you be ready ?? I asked myself and failed. I simply was not prepared at all for it. I would have had problems and made carefull notes and are working on a base solution (s). I really had myself convinced.

I seldom make trips to major Metro areas locally. Maybe 2 or 3 times per year. Sometimes passing through..as fast as I can.

Wasn't it Bush 41 who nominalized Portland as "Little Lebanon"? I'm indifferent towards Mr Beck's opinion & announcement, although it does come on the heels of a recent report on the percentage of religious people in certain cities. That may be his "dog in the fight"

In regard to a city being able to sustain itself; they all appear to have the same inevibility inside each of their respective urban-growth boundaries; relative to population numbers, however, it doesnt take a genius to recognize the pluses and minuses of living in a city, but geographically-speaking, Mr Beck may be correct.

PDX is a remote metropolitan area, as is any city with the same geography. PDX is restricted by 2 major rivers, boxed-in by the Cascades on one side, the Pacific Ocean on the other, and a narrow corridor with the Siskiyou in the South (particularly difficult in the winter).

It would require an airlift of some size to support PDX from locations to the East. Without going too far into the realm of emergency management, PDX and similar cities will be of the most difficult to manage.

Militarily-speaking, PDX would be one of the easier places for ANY FORCE to cordon-off because of the geography and their NIMBY approach to self-sustaining industries.

Look at all what has to be shipped into Oregon...via boat, air, I-84, & I-5. Oregon doesnt produce enough to take care of itself...not even a fuel refinery.

The melt-down will occur for the same reason (s) FDR let the South Pacific die on the vine during WWII; not enough resources to help the fewer numbers of helpless.

Last Edited:
Was happy to see SF on the list, I know it will crumble in the last earth quake in the 80's the town turned on its people and each other. It is nice to see the libtard capitals at the top.

I wonder how many people understand that he's (Glenn Beck) basing all of this on the number of religiously unaffiliated persons per capita? This has nothing to do with the population turning on each other, or anything else, but simply which cities Mr Beck thinks will be the most likely to be "struck down by God" due to their higher percentage of people who don't openly admit that they follow organized religions.

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=29418

So he's saying there's a correlation between % of people that belong to organized religion and the safety/survivability in any given City when things get worse?

"These are the cities that you do not want to live anywhere around as things get worse and worse."

Perhaps he's right.
Religion has always been a method to keep populations peaceful and honest. These people have to answer to a higher power after their death and would perhaps not degenerate into savagery as quick as non believers.
Something to think about even if you think GB is a little off his rocker!

Like to keep the thread away from religion or they will delete it. Intention was to ask if Portanders are prepared if what Beck says comes true. Doesn't matter how he came up with his prediction, it's just another one of many he has made and a number of them have been right.

Portland, AKA Little Beirut, Bosnia on the Willamette, Portlandia, whatever you call it...

The "me" folks that believe they are the center of everything will have a tough time, although they will continue to think they have the right to "take" anything they need.

I have been in many large cities. When I first experienced them as a youngster while in the Army, it was culture shock. Portland has caught up with the ugliest of the ugly cities back east. Portland has become a cesspool. Further, I'm shocked that so many people, even on this forum, are so defensive of Portland and think the Portlandia culture is wonderful.

WAYNO.

I wonder how many people understand that he's (Glenn Beck) basing all of this on the number of religiously unaffiliated persons per capita? This has nothing to do with the population turning on each other, or anything else, but simply which cities Mr Beck thinks will be the most likely to be "struck down by God" due to their higher percentage of people who don't openly admit that they follow organized religions.

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=29418
Interesting and go figure. Oregon is pretty much (and has been forever) the most "un-churched" state.

Portland, AKA Little Beirut, Bosnia on the Willamette, Portlandia, whatever you call it...

The "me" folks that believe they are the center of everything will have a tough time, although they will continue to think they have the right to "take" anything they need.

I have been in many large cities. When I first experienced them as a youngster while in the Army, it was culture shock. Portland has caught up with the ugliest of the ugly cities back east. Portland has become a cesspool. Further, I'm shocked that so many people, even on this forum, are so defensive of Portland and think the Portlandia culture is wonderful.

WAYNO.
That's why everyone I know who goes over to the Bend/Redmond area comes back saying I need to GTFO out of PDX and away from the traffic/medicated/idiot drivers.

If Mr Beck's was citing religion, he failed to support a false premise, because religion is a term used in other meanings..(perhaps a multiple-entendre?), such as people worshiping differently..see headbangers, rave parties, Oregon's Vortex Concert, or the Oracle at Delphi.

At the risk of being tangential; "Government" is the new religion. People use the government to enforce a moral code and so-fourth..The government as a "Means" and not to an "End". See William Godwin or JS Mill.

On those grounds, PDX is just as religious as anywhere else...they just worship differently than a myopic (near-sighted) broadcaster.

I maintain that it is the geography that sums-up the capacity of Portland to overcome adversity...

That's why everyone I know who goes over to the Bend/Redmond area comes back saying I need to GTFO out of PDX and away from the traffic/medicated/idiot drivers.
Interesting. I find it interesting that that slab a land now replicates the wall to wall borders of LA land.

o_O Bend has changed, and not for the good. And I fear it'll just be a matter of time til Redmond is overrun by Bendifornia.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
The earthquake needed that will take down all major bridges and a lot of smaller ones as well. Nobody will be driving, everybody will be on foot. There will be natural isolation of people pockets based upon the ability to cross whatever water body / way need to transit a given area. Who controls the water will be key...test yourselves....if the Big One hit right noooowwwww.....Would you be ready ?? I asked myself and failed. I simply was not prepared at all for it. I would have had problems and made carefull notes and are working on a base solution (s). I really had myself convinced.

I seldom make trips to major Metro areas locally. Maybe 2 or 3 times per year. Sometimes passing through..as fast as I can.

That is an important point. I was recently reviewing what I need and have to be prepared. Since I spend a considerable amount of my day at work, in Portland, I have to consider what I have to be prepared for to get home, out in the outskirts. One thing that I really hadn't carefully considered were the rivers I would have to cross. One river is a given, but it could be two or even 3 depending on where I am in the area. I can get across the Clackamas or Willamette if needed, but the Columbia? Not unless someone has a boat they're willing to share. And that all depends on whether we're talking the heat of summer with low river levels or mid-winter when they're running high, fast and really cold. I can plan for some of those eventualities, but not necessarily for all.

You really have to think about all the obstacles in your way in a situation like the big one. Assuming you survive and that you're not seriously injured, how long would it take to get home? Are you considering that it's highly likely you'll have to do it on foot? What might be the major blockades between you and your home? There sure are a lot of big things to consider.

I'm kind of hoping, if I need to get across the remains of the St John's bridge that I can just swing from dangling hippie to dangling hippie :p

o_O Bend has changed, and not for the good. And I fear it'll just be a matter of time til Redmond is overrun by Bendifornia.

WAYNO.
True. There is always Prineville, but they don't have any hot women over there, even at the rodeo where one might expect to at least see one or two :D

WAYNO.
I'd attribute that to the number of firearms enthusiasts that actually live here, rather than those painting all of us with the same brush. There are at least six local gunshops, plenty of big box outdoor style stores within a ten minute drive of where I live, and five or more gun ranges, none of which are in danger of closure or bankruptcy.

They survive, because regardless of what some of you believe, we're not all Liberal, antigun hippies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top