JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I'm fairly new to the forum and very new to shooting.

I'm hoping to go try for a deer this year.
Hoping to go for elk in the future.

Anyone local to Vancouver or even semi close to Vancouver looking to add another dude to their crew?

I need friends to help build my knowledge etc.

When and where shiuld I hunt in Washington? Should I be out scouting? I know there are apps but I feel like I will benefit from associating with some established hunters. Hopefully there are some people here that have the time or inclination to mentor in a new guy.

I'm 42 and not weird! I promise!

Welcome to NWFA!!

There's been discussions on scouting/hunting out of Vancouver area. I'm not very experienced with the "search" function, but maybe try that?

Generally, scouting whenever you can get out is a good plan. Since you are new to it, your initial scouting should be for "huntable" areas of likely habitat for the animal you wish to hunt. Most people scout all the way up to the season.

Good luck, and happy hunting!!!

Well whats good to hunt for a starter? I think someone was talking about rabbits?
Depends on what you like to eat. Duck, goose, turkey, deer, elk you can get a breakdown manual at any sporting goods store with the laws rules and regulations and choose what youd like to pursue scout some areas and buy your tags and your off. Probably not going to be a bunch of people lead you by the hand to their secret spots. And welcome
to the forum.

Well whats good to hunt for a starter? I think someone was talking about rabbits?

I started hunting on upland bird in CA. Their are a lot of grouse up here, but I have not hunted them yet. You gotta be pretty fit to hunt them on foot. I guess you could drive around looking for them, but that would be boring. I belive you can hunt them with a .22 or a shotgun, or other stuff too, but good to double check on that.

52b017e6eed86816a880063a219b12ec.gif

Probably not going to be a bunch of people lead you by the hand to their secret spots. And welcome
to the forum.

I had the same thought.

But hunting by oneself in a new area, or being new to hunting, is a real challenge!! I think trying to find hunting buddies is a good strategy, but I'm also sure that will take some time to develop. Maybe not work out right away. But I'm thinking the OP might start by identifying co-workers that hunt, neighbors, go to the range, shooting events, turkey shoots, join clubs, etc. When I was new to Union County, it was a neighbor that clued me in to where to go for deer and elk. Also pheasant. I found the grouse, Huns, and ducks/geese on my own. It's easy to find waterfowl habitat and then seeing where their flight patterns are just before season opens. The game reserves are one obvious choice for waterfowl.

You gotta be pretty fit to hunt them on foot. I guess you could drive around looking for them, but that would be boring.

I spooked a lot of grouse while hunting deer. Ruffs. Never got a shot off. But often you see a Blue or Franklin sitting around that you can take with a .22 pistol. I've driven around for those and saw them sitting in a tree (or on a log)... they are easy peasy. For Ruffs, one needs to drive near water sources. It's a lot of driving but can find one or two coveys that way.

Last Edited:
"I'm 42 and not weird! I promise!"

If you are on here, you are weird! Just look around. :confused:

As for hunting, I am not that familiar with the area around Vancouver, and anywhere on public access land on the "left" side of Washington state will probably be crowded to the point of dangerous. The "right" side is better, more open, less crowded, but still challenging to find game. A good friend once told me, upon learning that I had an interest in family farm land in north central Montana, "Dude, anywhere in Montana is better than the best place in Washington". So, I save up for the out of state license and cross my fingers for the drawings, because he was right!

By the way, if you're born after 1/1/72, you will need to have passed a hunter safety course to hunt in WA. Out of state certificates are accepted. These have at least a partial instructer led portion and fill up fast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top