JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Davidsons has started shipping Ruger Mark IV pistols with 10-inch heavy tapered barrels with the blued finish and will soon be shipping Mark IV pistols in stainless steel with the Hunter style 10-inch barrels. Ruger did announce they were going to offer the Mark IV in several of the past favorite barrel configurations, so it looks like they are producing that promise.

10 inches? I should be so lucky......

:D

That's a lot of barrel hanging out there. I wonder how it balances?

10 inches? I should be so lucky......

:D

Yah, it is, but no different than the Ruger Mark II 10-inch versions:

byoQ2bz.jpg
9MbGki1m.jpg

I shot 100 yard silhouette on reduced size chickens, turkeys, pigs & rams with these two and it was more fun than anybody could have without being naked.

My MkII is a tack driver. The barrel is not tapered, but more like a bull-barrel in configuration. It balances well for standing target use. I've tried using it for Steel Challenge, but the length of the barrel makes it slower for quick, snap shots. It does get a reaction from nearby shooters when you haul that long barrel out if a pistol bag and it's a real fun gun to shoot.

It does prefer CCI Mini-Mag ammo, but will shoot other brands if you don't mind unjamming a few rounds out if 50 or so. Other than those two issues, I am really glad I was able to get this in my safe and use it.

I had a 10" for several decades. As noted above, mine also balanced surprisingly well. Very accurate albeit a bit ponderous . Speed on multiple targets is not where this model shines. Tin can at 75 yards standing, easy. From seated benches it's pretty much a short carbine. I miss mine.

Last Edited:
Speaking of Ruger 22s...I'm really tempted by this

Interesting, new twist on an old model. I'm pretty partial to the old Standard. I still have my first one from the '80s. It bugs me a little whenever I hear people refer to any pre-MkII .22 pistol at a MkI. Not true! The MkI has adjustable sights and a heavy barrel. If it's pre-MkII and doesn't have an adjustable sight, it's a Standard!

I know there are some rimfire haters here, and that's fine, but personally I think .22s are some of the best guns ever. Of course I'm just a recreational shooter and don't take myself too seriously.

I've been a Ruger fan since I shot this one when I was 6 or so.
Ruger Standard 22 6". It's an early 60's gun I believe.
Standard.jpg
It's not a MKI. It doesn't need to be. It's the most accurate handgun I've ever owned or shot.
These grips are incorrect, but I really liked the wood. The originals are tucked away.

Very glad to see this how popular these Rugers have become.

Last Edited:
Interesting enough, my titanium suppressor for my .30 cals on my MKIV at 16oz balances and recovers nicely when shooting. Almost stabilizes the pistol when plinking. very easy to recover. I'm sure the weight, while forward, will balance nice.

Now they need to make it in 22/45 variant. I can't stand the non 45 grip angle.

If it's pre-MkII and doesn't have an adjustable sight, it's a Standard!
I've got an RST4 from 1954ish. Wonderful design & still works very well. Tiny sights only real geezer-issue for me. I've shot it a number of times in speed steel; it is as 'competitive' as I am....given we're both about 3x age of most in the squad.;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top