JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry, had a flashback to Hee Haw....

Anyway, last night was enchilidadadadas. What's an enchilidadadada, you ask? Just take your basic enchilada and go Tim Allen on it. Here is how I make two dozen of e'm:
3 lbs hamburger
1 medium onion
3 cans of sliced olives (green bean size can, not them tiny worthless ones)
4 cans of Old El Paso enchilada sauce (same size as olive can)
2 dozen burito size wheat tortillas (I use the super soft style)
A big pile or two of shredded cheddar cheese. Keep your cheese shredder handy.
You will need two large glass casserole dishes or four smaller square ones. Give them a spray of Pam or equivalent.

Now, why make so many, you ask? Because its almost as easy to make a big batch as a small one, and you WILL want to eat the leftovers in a day or two.

Next thing, if this is too much meat, salt, cheese, etc, for you, just take your tofu and raw vegetables and leave right now. You just probably aren't up what comes next and we don't want to hear you scream.

Finally, before we get started, if in doubt the answer is more. Not just more but MORE!!! If you can cram it into the tortilla of baking dish do it.

OK, here we go...

Crumble and brown the hamburger and onion in a large skillet. When its cooked, stir in 2 1/2 cans of olives and turn the heat off

Arrange an enchiladadadada assembly line: tortilla stack, cheese, large pie pan full of enchilada sauce, large dinner plate, glass baking dish, meat mixture. I set mine up in a corner to keep everything in reach.

take a tortilla and dip both sides in the sauce, then squeegee a bit back in the pan.
Place the tortilla on the dinner plate and put 2-3 slotted spoon scoops of meat near the edge in a nice little row.
Next, grab some cheese, I mean a nice handful, on top of the meat. Now, don't get cheap on me, here.
Fold the sides of the tortilla in and roll that sucker up like you are Tommy Chong. You should get 6 of these in an 8x8 pan or a dozen in an 8x15 pan.
Place in one of your baking dishes and repeat until you run out of meat, tortillas, or space. Add enchilada sauce as needed to the pie pan.

Next, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the completed enchilidadadadas. Pile on a heap of cheese, no, I mean more than you were thinking. Sprinkle the remaining olives on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. You will know when its done. If you forgot to line the bottom of the oven with foil your wife will be pretty mad, because if you made them right it will probably drip a bit when the tortillas plump up while cooking. If this happens just drink extra beer with your dinner. It will give you something to do while your wife cleans the oven.

Tonight was a bit simpler and almost as satisfying. Biscuits and gravy, and not that wannabee weak sauce stuff you get at a restaurant. You need the following:

Gravy
2 16 oz Jimmy Dean (or your favorite) sausage in whatever flavor you like.
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 cups milk

Buscuits:
2 1/4 cups of bisquick
2/3 cup of milk

crumble and brown the meat.
while the meat is browning, heat the oven to 450 and mix the bisquick and milk. Place in a dozen small piles on a crumpled sheet of foil on a cookie sheet.
When the meat is cooked, slide the pan in the oven and set timer for 10 minutes.
Add flour to sausage and stir while it browns a few minutes.
Add milk and stir. And stir. And stir.
Eventually it will thicken, likely a few minutes after you pull the biscuits out of the oven.
We know you are up to all this stirring because the muscular development of your dominate arm that happened while you were a teenager. I meant all those one handed push-ups and pull-ups you did in gym class, of course.

When it thickens enough, spoon a healthy amount of gravy over biscuits and enjoy.

What did you have for supper, tonight?

My recipe for enchiladas: Remove contents from package, poke holes in plastic over enchiladas, refried beans and corn. Remove plastic from pudding. Microwave on high for 5 1/2 minutes. Stir pudding. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Caution: Contents will be hot.

I fixed three racks of baby backs with my private rub and smoked them for seven hours on the Trager with hickory pellets and sprayed them every half hour with Cruzan Pineapple Rum! Accompanied by from scratch BBQ beans with bacon, Greek salad, watermelon, and corn bread! Just ice cream for dessert 'cause we were moanin' full! Had our son and grandson over!

Wheat FLOUR tortillas....Noooo, those are "Anglo" enchiladas, not terrible, put that much cheese on anything and, well...
We can't eat cheese like that anymore too heavy/greasy, wake up at midnight miserable.

I use chicken thighs. Season thighs, skin on, with granulated garlic, season salt, cumin and Mexican oregano, let sit for an hour or two.
Brown seasoned thighs on both sides in a small amount of lard, (The smell is insane). Dran of excess grease and toss in a hand full of chopped garlic and onion for a sizzle to brown just a bit.
Lower heat and spread a half bunch or so of cilantro across the top of the browned thighs. Squeeze over the thighs a half a lime, more or less, cut the squoze lime in two or three and toss that in also.
A quarter cup of water, cover and simmer slow for 30-45 minutes.
When that's over, cool thighs enough to handle, remove skin (I eat the skin right there) and get the meat off the bones.

NOW make your enchiladas using white or yellow CORN tortillas and that meat, with a mixture of cheddar (Tillamook Medium please) and Jack cheese 50/50, and a bit of onion too, maybe some of that crumbly Mexican cheese for garnish on top before going in the oven. I use a small cast iron skillet to just slightly cook the corn tortillas in a tiny bit of oil to make them pliable, too little cooking they'll be soggy/greasy and too much they'll start to crisp and be hard to roll.

I spoon just enough of the sauce to cover the bottom with a thin layer, lay in the rolled enchiladas seam side down just slightly touching. Spoon just enough of the sauce over the rolled enchiladas to keep the ends from crisping too much. I don't want them swimming in sauce, and a little more cheese.
Mmmm.

Mike

I fixed three racks of baby backs with my private rub and smoked them for seven hours on the Trager with hickory pellets and sprayed them every half hour with Cruzan Pineapple Rum! Accompanied by from scratch BBQ beans with bacon, Greek salad, watermelon, and corn bread! Just ice cream for dessert 'cause we were moanin' full! Had our son and grandson over!

You do know that after this everybody is going to start dropping by your house around dinner time because "I was in the area and thought I'd drop by and say hello"...

You do know that after this everybody is going to start dropping by your house around dinner time because "I was in the area and thought I'd drop by and say hello"...

I don't think so! Widely known as a subscriber to "Disturbed Loner Magazine"!

Mike, are you aware that reduced fat cheeses have come a long way recently? We like Lucern 2% reduced fat, sharp cheddar. Use it for most every cheesy situation.

I don't think so! Widely known as a subscriber to "Disturbed Loner Magazine"!

Mike, are you aware that reduced fat cheeses have come a long way recently? We like Lucern 2% reduced fat, sharp cheddar. Use it for most every cheesy situation.

I embrace, no, I covet....I love my fat! I try to keep it a small(er) part of my diet, but low fat cheese, low fat mayo, NO fat yogurt, lite sour cream, non-fat milk!! I'd rather eat less and work more and keep food the way it is supposed to be.

Sympathies to the folks out there that absolutely must remove fat, carbs and salt from their diets to stay alive.

Mike

Here is another good one based on my uncle Jack Brimhall's recipe for prime rib served at his successful Red Flame Restaurants in Utah.

12 Hour Roast, or Poor Mans Prime Rib.

A large, lean chuck roast, 3-6lbs. I greatly prefer the Freddie's rolled chuck cross rib, but a standard chuck will work.
Use a glass baking dish large enough for the roast with some room left. Lay a long piece of foil, enough to come up over the roast, into the dish.
Oil the roast well on a cutting board, and liberally cover with Montreal Steak Seasoning on all sides.
Set roast in dish on tinfoil and bring foil up over the roast and loosely cover.
Put the roast in the oven at 175-180 degrees, for 12 hours. Be sure that your oven cooks at 175 -to 190 when you set it at temp. Cooked in a friends oven once and didn't check first, roast was still raw. Also, some ovens shut off after so long, mine does in twelve hours. It's not going to hurt anything to go longer, but if your oven shuts off, well.

You can slice this for french dips, or do the mashed potatoes full meal deal, with sandwiches for later. If your using a standard chuck you'll need to look at the grain of the different segments of the roast to be sure you cut across the grain. The rolled chuck cross rib it's obvious.

I just did one of these roasts three days ago, got it from the "New" Albertsons. Their meat department has gone to a "Choice" grade beef. The cross rib chuck was on sale for $2.69lb! It was the best 12 hour roast I'd had in a long time.

Mike

EDIT: The Red Flame Restaurants in Utah are no longer there. After Uncle Jack passed away, and then aunt Florence, there was infighting in the family of ten sibs over the estate and the restaurants closed.

I'm there, PM address & the party will start (PS, got any sweet tea)!!!!

You must be a young whippersnapper Woodsman, that is still a fine looking woman!......

And that is about the ONLY thing I've found good about getting older (58), women my age and older can be considered good looking in these eyes.

You just wait young man!

I embrace, no, I covet....I love my fat! I try to keep it a small(er) part of my diet, but low fat cheese, low fat mayo, NO fat yogurt, lite sour cream, non-fat milk!! I'd rather eat less and work more and keep food the way it is supposed to be.

Sympathies to the folks out there that absolutely must remove fat, carbs and salt from their diets to stay alive.

Mike

Compare the nutritional info between a regular product and its low/non-fat variant. You'll see there's more sugar, meaning more carbs. So the sweet just replaces the fat. Fat is not bad, but a high intake is. Same with sugar, etcetera. Unless you have an allergy or specific condition, it's not bad to consume these things, but just do it in moderation.

I make nice espresso and cappucino on my machine at home, but I use regular milk. The fat adds a nice sweetness when frothing the milk and it just gives a good foam to work with. My friend's son, who used to be a bit on the chubby side but turned into a health freak looks at everything and loves the coffee but won't have it anymore due to the milk I use. It's maybe 4oz of milk that goes into a cup. :)

You must be a young whippersnapper Woodsman, that is still a fine looking woman!......

And that is about the ONLY thing I've found good about getting older (58), women my age and older can be considered good looking in these eyes.

You just wait young man!

+1 with Mikej. She appears to still have her teeth! Also, we can appreciate any woman of any age! More are born every year! It's like a billion artists creating masterpieces each generation!

Tonight is Friday night for my wife. I'm preparing a massive, bone in, ribeye and a large baked potato (thanks Idaho) to be split between us. Also another Mediterranean salad.

Taco salad* tonight - you know the drill, everything Taco Bell puts in everything it makes, dump it in a bowl and shovel it down. My salad uses authentic Lowery's taco seasoning, so you know its the real thing.

Sometime in the next week I'm going to tackle a culinary masterpiece called aide de boeuf haché.

* no tortillas, yellow corn, white corn, or wheat were harmed or injured during the production of this meal. Chee-tos were briefly considered, but did not feel it necessary to go Cordon Bleu on you tonight.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top