JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I feel kinda dumb for asking this but - what's the deal with Herter's ammo?

I have been shooting and buying ammo on line and from my LGS for decades, and I had NEVER heard of HERTERS until the SHTF regarding the ammo supply this past April.

Then everyone and their uncle was dumping Herters on this site. They're still doing it. It's everywhere.

Did Herters have a fire sale a year ago and I was the only one who didn't hear about it?

How did I miss this brand of ammo?

(Just goes to show you're never too old to learn something new.)

They've been around. Cabelas sells it. Used to be 9mm was 8.99/50 and .45ACP was about 13.99/50. It's good range ammo, no troubles here with it at all.

Herters is just an importer like Wolf. Afaik they don't make anything, just have it rebadged with their logo.

The Herter's brand is an old outdoors company that went TU a while ago. They mostly made waterfowl gear. My first camo hunting jacket that was a Herter's branded item I bought from Cabelas back when you had to shop out of a catalog and send a paper form to mail order things.

Cabela's owns the name now and markets items with it. I have no idea who the centerfire ammo is made by, but the general concensus says the shotshells are made by Winchester.

Rumor is it's rebranded Winchester white box. I've used the 9mm and it goes bang just fine. Bass Pro/Cabelas seem to have a never ending stock online, you just need to be quick.

Okay, I feel kinda dumb for asking this but - what's the deal with Herter's ammo?

I have been shooting and buying ammo on line and from my LGS for decades, and I had NEVER heard of HERTERS until the SHTF regarding the ammo supply this past April.

Then everyone and their uncle was dumping Herters on this site. They're still doing it. It's everywhere.

Did Herters have a fire sale a year ago and I was the only one who didn't hear about it?

How did I miss this brand of ammo?

(Just goes to show you're never too old to learn something new.)
Cabela's brand. Shot 300+ rounds in a training class last week. Absolutley no issues with it. Just a plinking ammo though

Good range ammo, but for me it hasn't been good reloading brass. Constant problems with taking out/pushing in primers.

S & B is the same way with primers. 9mm anyway. Re-priming is difficult and brass sizing requires extra effort compared to others.

:s0108:
D8384484-A860-4FE0-BCCB-6D166317C81A.gif

Rumor is it's rebranded Winchester white box. I've used the 9mm and it goes bang just fine. Bass Pro/Cabelas seem to have a never ending stock online, you just need to be quick.
Same on it being a "new" brand to me. Browsing online and I found Herter's .22 in stock on Bass Pro @ around .04 / rd. Stocked up with a few k. After about 1/2 hour I went back to get some more and it was oos. The reviews on it said it's good to go.

Contemporary Herter's branded ammo isn't made by any one manufacturer. Cabela's contracts out with different companies to make it. At least some of the shotgun shells are made by Cheddite in Italy. Some of the pistol ammo is made in Czech Republic by S&B. I think some of the brass case .308 Win. was made by Fiocchi. Some of the steel case .308 Win. was made in Russia.

I don't know why Cabela's bought the rights to use the Herter's name. I wouldn't think it has any better cache than their own Cabela's brand. The old Herter's firm sold all kinds of stuff, not all of it was of the highest quality. They were a kind of Sears, Roebuck of the sporting goods world. They also farmed out the manufacture of many of their own branded products.

I guess Cabela's thought maybe people would recognize the Herter's name from the past and buy it on that basis. But look how well that works; most young people (presumably like the OP) never heard of Herter's. Too much time gone by.

Started seeing it in range pick a few years ago. What impressed me was , I saw it being fired, but when I picked the .45 cap brass , it looked like it had cleaned. Inside and out it was spotless and shiny. I would love to know what powder they use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top