JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do yourself a favor, and never buy them. I wish I had taken pictures, but after shooting two boxes through my 1911, there were plastic bits all over the gun; in the barrel, in the slide, and it was a pain to clean. <broken link removed>

I don't buy any Herters ammo any more.

I bought a box of "soft point" 762x39 in Cabelas for what seemed a decent price. I got it home and it was either steel core or steel jacket - the projectile attracted a magnet. Soft point implying that the ammo would expand in tissue? I think not.

Was the two-part feed ramp shaving off little pieces a plastic?

th?&id=OIP.WSNL0rHqBttBBMyD7iECNwEsDI&w=300&h=200&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Supposed to be manufactured in the USA! I believe that I'll take
2wheel's advice and call a personal moratorium on buying them until you tech guys investigate further!
I must say I've never had a problem with Herters ammo.

I have ordered at least 3k rounds .556 steel rounds and have had very good luck w it. Not the most accurate and dirty but cheap. Haven't used it in a .45 and never used nylon or plastic coated bullets. Hmmmmm. Very interesting.

I wonder how some regular lead RN's would fare in the OP's pistol. It'd probably shave off slivers of lead.

No problems with lead or any other ammo thus far. I was shooting a Para, but the same thing happened in two of my friend's kimbers. When I ran a patch through the barrel, there were deposits in the grooves as well. I wonder if I had a bad batch; either way I wont shoot them again. Cleaning that crud out was once too many.

On a side note, my para had no malfunctions and the kimbers both had a few jams.

Last Edited:
Avoid Herters like the plague. Only squib I ever had was from Herters. Couple months ago a guy brought a Ruger American in 300 black out into the shot. The bolt was destroyed. We shipped it back to the factory for him. A week later he brings in his AR15 in 300 black out. Again, the bolt was destroyed. He was using Herters both times. I'll never touch the stuff

Ever hear of Nyclad's.? They originated in the '80's.. nylon coated soft lead.
A lot of guys/companies paint/polymerize their lead slugs these days too.

When I carried a 5 shot 38 I used those for Wife. They were pretty mild in the small light 38's so she liked them. Never did know how they were made. IIRC They were touted as made for the small short tube .38's.

When I carried a 5 shot 38 I used those for Wife. They were pretty mild in the small light 38's so she liked them. Never did know how they were made. IIRC They were touted as made for the small short tube .38's.
They worked well at low velocities because of the SWCHP profile.. and it being pure soft lead.
They were awesome.. I don't know about the more recent Federal Nyclad offering though.

They worked well at low velocities because of the SWCHP profile.. and it being pure soft lead.
They were awesome.. I don't know about the more recent Federal Nyclad offering though.
It was decades ago now that I used that stuff. Last of it went with last .38 5 shooter that went with one girl when she struck out to face the world. She long ago went to auto's too. I had not looked at the box when this thread started. Looks from the pic like that says Bazer in one corner. Is this stuff made by Speer? If so whats the Herters name?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top