JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching a tv program last night about a young blacksmith/gunsmith that lives in the Ozark Mountains, and nearly the entire show was filmed in Woodbury, Kentucky at the Hershel House homestead and workshop. It was a very cool show, and had my undivided attention. I've seen many pictures of the place where the legendary House rifles have been crafted, but this show really detailed the function of the shop, surrounding buildings, and the small town of Woodbury. I was able to see all three house brothers (Hershel, Frank, and John) along with the blacksmith, Daniel Casey, produce a stunning 40 cal bear pistol in less than a week. It was so interesting to watch these 4 masters work their genius. The workshop, main house and surrounding buildings were all very humble looking log cabins, and with the exception of a few very old (or shop-made) electric machines, all the work is done very traditionally with hand tools and a small forge. I've seen only a few of their rifles over the years and they are stunningly beautiful, but are meant to be used as the House brothers intended. I'd give my left arm if I ever came across one for sale.

As a blackpowder shooter and enthusiast I remember meeting Hershel and Frank House in Friendship, IN about 16 years ago at the NMLRA range just walking around during one of the national shoots. They were unbelievably cordial, talkative, and inquisitive to a then young shooter. After the brief conversation, another competitor walked up to me and asked "Do you know who you just talked to?...what the heck was THAT like?" I was well aware of the moment and simply said "Yep, and Frank has a firm handshake". A few years later I purchased a series of 4 signed pen and ink drawings produced by Hershel himself and built some custom cherry frames for them. They currently hang in my living room and are among my most valued and daily enjoyed possessions.

The series with Daniel Casey is a pretty good one, for today's "reality" T.V. shows.
If you can get a copy of Foxfire #5, it has a great piece on Hershel House building a flintlock rifle pretty much from scratch, other than a few parts.
It has:
Ironmaking and Blacksmithing
BLAST FURNACES
BELLOWS
FIREPLACE POKERS
FORGE SHOVELS
FROES
COWBELLS
HORSESHOES
Gunmaking
BLACK POWDER
BARREL MAKING
SILER LOCKS
FLINTLOCK RIFLES
MODERN GUNSMITHS
TURKEY SHOOTS
THE NMLRA
One of my favorite books in the series....

The series with Daniel Casey is a pretty good one, for today's "reality" T.V. shows.
If you can get a copy of Foxfire #5, it has a great piece on Hershel House building a flintlock rifle pretty much from scratch, other than a few parts.
It has:
Ironmaking and Blacksmithing
BLAST FURNACES
BELLOWS
FIREPLACE POKERS
FORGE SHOVELS
FROES
COWBELLS
HORSESHOES
Gunmaking
BLACK POWDER
BARREL MAKING
SILER LOCKS
FLINTLOCK RIFLES
MODERN GUNSMITHS
TURKEY SHOOTS
THE NMLRA
One of my favorite books in the series....

Yep, the 1979 edition of Foxfire ...I think I've got a copy. Man, Hershel was sure young looking in that one! The whole buck skinning crown are really nice folks!

I think Hershel had already been discharged from his military service when the piece was written, but I could be wrong.
But, yes, he certainly looked young..
My copies of the Foxfire series are pretty well worn, I even had to buy a new copy of the first one, as the pages were falling out...
I go back and re-read them quite often.

Yes he was... Sure wish we had more youngsters interested in black powder now.
Andy

Andy, every late spring the NMLRA range in Friendship has a several day long youth shoot for any young person that wants to compete or just learn something new. The response has been overwhelming successful and has gotten a ton of new people into the sport; easily over a 100 kids every year. My son has very fond memories of the youth shoots and all the activities that went along with it. I'm hoping to see more young people get involved in blackpowder out here in WA too through local clubs.

I used to go to the Oregon Trail Days in Tenino quite a bit when I lived in Chehalis, and was always pleased to see whole families there, some of them camping in the park, and in old style clothing.
One boy started out "trading" with a leather pouch, and at the end of the day ended up with a nice pair of moccasins, and a leather belt.. It was fun to watch him come back to their camp with his trading stuff.
It was also fun to shoot in the matches, in town, and across the soccer field....

Glad to hear of more youngsters out there shoot black powder.
We get some at our events as well ... Just seems that I am usually the youngest at most of the events we go to.
Andy
I have shot a few muzzleloaders and an old flintlock down in the Redmond area at the fair. Pretty cool, not as loud as I expected but that thing had a lot of power.

I like the sound , smoke and smell! :D
Here is my friend Dave shooting our 1808 dated Springfield Musket.
Andy
P1130865.JPG

Glad to hear of more youngsters out there shoot black powder.
We get some at our events as well ... Just seems that I am usually the youngest at most of the events we go to.
Andy

Oh, I was definitely one of the younger fellas shooting on the line...but, I'm quickly catching up, Andy!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top