JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the Henry lever action rifle, the Heritage single action revolver seems to have a large following of happy owners as well as an apparently equally large assemblage of detractors (who for the most part seem to have no first hand experience with the product). And like the Henry, a used Heritage always seems to sell almost as soon as it is put up for sale, implying that there is a desire for it greater than the general availability.

A Ruger Single Six is on my short list, but I see no reason to have a brace of Rugers and a $200 .22/.22mag convertible single action revolver (or $300 for the steel frame version) seems like quite a good deal. Yes a $200 Heritage might only be worth $100 in ten years' time, but in that same span of time the $600 Ruger will depreciate to $400 so which will 'lose' more money?

So, with that said, what do NWFA owners or people who have had the opportunity to use a Heritage product have to say about their experience? Thoughts and opinions for a potential purchaser, please :) .

Keith

Not sure sure about the Ruger depreciating in value my $37.50 1967 Ruger Bearcat will easy bring $500-550.00 (its near mint in the box with all paperwork etc).

My 1977 Ruger M77R in 30-06 I trade for in the early 80's for (trade value of $350.00) will fetch easily $500.00 today.

Quality firearms rarely loose value over time. Sure in the short term they might only bring 80% of new but here lately used is bringing 120-150% of new. So go figure.

That is a good point, but I am not factoring in for inflation. My shooter 4" Ruger Standard cost possibly $60 in 1970 when it was made, but could most likely fetch an easy $175 to $200 even with its moderate bluing wear. Excluding mint and rare examples, most Single Sixes of decent shooter condition seem to be going in the $300-350ish range. For purposes of discussion, lets compare potential resale value to the price of a new unit, which would probably be a good way to factor out inflation.

I know a major detraction folks have towards the Heritage is that most of the .22 models are made with alloy frames, yet the Colt Frontier Scout is also made with an alloy frame and collectors seem to cherish them.

Edit: A Ruger Bearcat is also an interesting firearm. I could go for a brace of Rugers if one of them were a Bearcat :) .

Edit to the Edit: In all honesty, the reason I am asking this question is that, despite all of the great owner reviews I've read about Heritage revolvers, I have the same pre-purchase feeling about them as I did when I bought my Hi-Point 9mm carbine years ago. After reading all I could about them, I found one for a great price and I was very excited to use it, then afterwards couldn't wait to get rid of it. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't do anything for me after the new wore off. (That said, please don't let this admission discourage further discussion :D .)

Keith

I had a Heritage .22, It was a nice looking rig but terribly inaccurate and I could watch the bullets exit the barrel and see the flight path. I would think this is a isolated or limited case. Maybe the BC timing was off or a bad barrel was used, I dunno but I have passed on many since. There are better guns out there IMO.

I have a Heritage .22. I have also a Taurus Gaucho in .357. Have had both 2 Ruger Single Sixes and a Ruger NMBH .357 over the years. Sold all the Rugers and kept the others. The Heritage will probably not last 100 years and the Gaucho may last 100 years from today but by that time I will have probably been in my grave for probably 60-75 years years. I will let my kids and grandkids decide the outcome of this argument. I also have 100 year old Iver Johnson's and H&R's that still work great, I am sure that our GG,G, and Grandfathers were arguing the same point in the day about the Iver Johnson's, Hopkins & Allen's, Forehand's, H&R's and every other low cost firearm of the day. It just comes down to what you like and are comfortable with. To me my guns are like my wife of 30 years of marriage, not flashy or the latest but to me utterly dependable and comfortable.

Having been dumb enough to buy a second one,I'll say Heritage= junk
I would add all off brands are junk single actions

I would never buy another single action other than a Ruger unless I find a nice Colt at an insane price
Or the HUGE calibers from Freedom

These results are just from author's experience with said firearms
YMMV

I'd still be interested in hearing about your results. Seems that there are alot of happy owners out there. I got the Ruger for just a few bucks more than a new convertible RR so I couldn't pass it up.

Keith

I have the Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22LR Revolver and I like it. It does take some getting used to as far as the sighting goes, but I learned how from watching Top Shot. With the groove that runs down the frame/barrel to the front sight, you want to have the front sight lowered so it is just barely showing and your point of aim should be just below/touching the point you want to hit. When I do that, it is accurate. When I don't, it is not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top