JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find it funny that imported 22lr seems more available than US production even though we have been told for the last 2-3 years they are running at full capacity 24/7. If that was true I would think seeing it in stores would be fairly regular by now if not normal again. Nothing like a story to start increasing production just before the 2016 elections.
What do I know though . . . .

I read that as production has been at full capacity and they are going to increase that capacity, i.e. currently at 100%, some time soon to be 120% relative to current level.

I can close my eyes and picture peoples closets......Bricks of .22 stacked seven or more deep, all the way across almost up to the rod for the hangers. All those bricks they're claiming to produce got to be somewhere!?
It's out there, when I go to the range there's always a bunch of empties in front of the line.

My local FM has a bunch of .22lr on the shelf right now (can't remember the brand) - 50 round boxes 'on sale' for $6.99. That ammo has been sitting there for a few weeks now. I doubt they're selling much at that price. It sure would be nice to see some decent priced bricks show up somewhere near me - haven't seen anything like that in a long time.

Weve had it here pretty often at around 22.00 or so. Local FFL range up to 38.00 a box but its here. I don't needs any my self :p, but I do try and PU a few boxes when they are cheap and then resell them at cost to help others around here.

Seems like every time the supply starts catching up, some lunatic like the San Bernardino clowns sets off the Ban Brigade of Feinstein, McCarthy, Clinton, Obama, et. al., and, reacting to the new wave of idiot legislation put forth to "do something", many of our fellow shooters start grabbing it up, again.
And so on and so on and scoobie-doobie-doo-bee.

I bet part of the problem is that people used to go in and buy a box or two of 50 rounds, because it was always available - why buy more? Now that there has been a shortage for so long, every .22 owner now sees the need to stock a higher inventory than they used to in the past (never mind the massive number of new shooters). So the poor factories are faced with having to fill this gigantic demand, without increasing plants so much that when it is finally filled they are left with idle plants.

I bet part of the problem is that people used to go in and buy a box or two of 50 rounds, because it was always available - why buy more? Now that there has been a shortage for so long, every .22 owner now sees the need to stock a higher inventory than they used to in the past (never mind the massive number of new shooters). So the poor factories are faced with having to fill this gigantic demand, without increasing plants so much that when it is finally filled they are left with idle plants.
thats exactly the reason.

also its still fresh in the minds the ammo crunch prices if you were even lucky enough to find some.

I find it funny that imported 22lr seems more available than US production even though we have been told for the last 2-3 years they are running at full capacity 24/7. If that was true I would think seeing it in stores would be fairly regular by now if not normal again. Nothing like a story to start increasing production just before the 2016 elections.
What do I know though . . . .
They offer a reasonable explanation in paragraph four of the article.

I was asking one of the guys at my local fishermans marine where all the 22lr was. He said they are getting and selling three times more 22lr than the store ever has, but it has no shelf life. As soon as it hits the shelf its gone.:(:(

I see a lot of shooters in the areas near the gun clubs buying it all up in bulk to re sell to there buddies at the clubs! the other thing we saw during the last shortage was the big chain store deal going on. The stores would all show plenty of stock but when you went to order it, it was out of stock! I think these stores were made to buy it all up to keep it out of our hands.

The ammo is out there, it's the markup that makes it hard to buy!

I seem to be able to buy all I want now if I feel like spending $40 a brick.
This is the new reality. Why would the ammo companies sell it cheap to the retailer when they can get some of what folks are willing to buy?
If I'm an ammo exect. and I go to a gun show and witness some fool buying a brick of 22lr for $50,why would I let the retailer buy it for 15 bucks?
The last time I saw the prices of what the store was buying them at was $18 for a brick of Remington cheap crap. A year before that we were selling Blazer for $15 a brick
These are the new norms

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top