JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
but for hands down accuracy with more than enough knockdown power i like the 7mm mixed with 150gr sierra matchking bullet, nice little recipe for 400 yard coyote shots :)

but for hands down accuracy with more than enough knockdown power i like the 7mm mixed with 150gr sierra matchking bullet, nice little recipe for 400 yard coyote shots :)
hehe - I like 150 gr. 7x57 Norma loads in my brother's '95 Chilean Mauser.
Took a 4-point Blacktail with that gun, using that load, in '77.
158 lbs., field dressed.
Dead is dead.

DeanMk

The 300 will shoot the 200+ grain bullets. The heavy bullets are the ticket for cheating wind at long distances. Using bullets of similar weight, the 300 and 7mm have a similar trajectory. Both will work just fine but the 300 will punch a bigger hole. If it were my choice I would listen to my shoulder and stick with a 30-06.

From Guns Magazine:

One of the most tenacious myths concerning ballistics is that a heavy bullet bucks the wind better. There's just enough truth in this to be misleading. Perhaps this misconception came about because it would seem logical that a heavier object would be blown about less than a lighter one.

This would be true if both projectiles were of the same dimensions. But, given like designs, the heavier slug has more surface area for the wind to act on thus negating any advantage based solely on weight.

The deciding factor in wind deflection -- and trajectory -- is time of flight. The less time wind and gravity have to act on a bullet, the less they will divert the bullet from its path. While a heavier projectile has more momentum and thus maintains velocity better, a lighter bullet can be started at a higher velocity. That's what makes it a horse race. Some contenders break fast on the short track while others fare better on the long stretch.

Im late, but I vote 7mm, we use them for deer, bear, antelope, elk. I have a 140gr Barnes TTSX load throwing them out at 3360fps. We zero at 200-300yds (depending on what were going for) so typically there is barely any sight change up to 400yds they shoot so flat. Plus alot less kick than a 300.

Great round, a .375 caliber that fits a standard long action with a standard magnum bolt face. The only reason I have not gone that route is due to its brief existence. I hope it hangs around.

Well, since the components are the same as the .375 H&H except the brass, all you need is brass and you're set!
I've picked up a bunch of that while the gettin's good.
I don't know if this cartridge is going to have the longevity of the H&H, but I'd be surprised if it didn't hang around longer than the RUM.

Last Edited:
i just shot my deer last saturday with my 300 win mag from 200 yards using remington core lokt 180g...hit him in the lungs right by the shoulders. some ppl call me crazy but bullet placement is everything. very minimal meat wasted. i love the 300 win mag. although, my buddy has a 7mm mag. he hit his deer in almost the exact same spot... a little bit smaller deer but even at that his exit hole was about 2/3 the size as mine. they both are good calibers to shoot and will take down just about any game in the northwest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top